gtvlusso
gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
edited February 2011 in Commuting chat
But riding a Hybrid....

facepalm.jpg

Comments

• hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    Thanks to the sample sale it's going to be all the rage...

I rode in on 'the pig' (see signature link) wearing my new rapha merino jersey and winter bib longs with my tatty old trainers and camo shorts over the top.

I like it, it feels like I'm subverting the brand in some small way and I'm sure it winds up the mamils something chronic. :D
    Hat + Beard
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    hatbeard wrote:
    I like it, it feels like I'm subverting the brand in some small way and I'm sure it winds up the mamils something chronic. :D

I thought mamils were all about the Assos?

main_bg_01-620x269.jpg
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    ^^^ Is that the position you have to be in when handing over the money? :lol:
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • hatbeard
    I'd be surprised if that hasn't been included in some kind of cyclist meme somewhere on the net.
    Hat + Beard
  • notsoblue
    hatbeard wrote:
    I'd be surprised if that hasn't been included in some kind of cyclist meme somewhere on the net.

It is ripe for parody...
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    hatbeard wrote:

Had a quick look on ebay following the sale, and lots of brand new 2008 XXXXXXXXXL stuff suddenly for sale at huge mark ups.
  • Aguila
    Aguila Posts: 622
    gtvlusso wrote:
    But riding a Hybrid....

facepalm.jpg

Perhaps he/she is wearing it because they like it/its very comfortable. Imagine the nerve.

Last time I checked people could wear what they like.
  • gtvlusso
    Aguila wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:
    But riding a Hybrid....

facepalm.jpg

Perhaps he/she is wearing it because they like it/its very comfortable. Imagine the nerve.

It is always sad when someone has no sense of humour....

:-(
  • Aguila
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Aguila wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:
    But riding a Hybrid....

facepalm.jpg

Laughing at people isn't humour.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Aguila wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Aguila wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:
    But riding a Hybrid....

facepalm.jpg

Of course it is. Look, I'm doing it now....
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Aguila, perhaps you'd feel more at home in Commuting General? :)
  • notsoblue
    Aguila wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:
    But riding a Hybrid....

I guess riding a hybrid is a bit like wearing leggings and/or a truss.
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    JZed wrote:
    hatbeard wrote:

Had a quick look on ebay following the sale, and lots of brand new 2008 XXXXXXXXXL stuff suddenly for sale at huge mark ups.

There is some of it in the BR For Sale section too.

Actually, XXXXXXXXXL might actually fit me...
  • hatbeard
    I purchased this lot in the rapha sale. Before anyone whinges, yes you can probably get it cheaper at the sample sale but not everyone can get to London or take the morning off work to get there

how very community minded of them... "hey guys I went and bought all this stuff for you poor soles who can't get to the sale and I only want a 70% markup for my trouble"
    Hat + Beard
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    hatbeard wrote:
    I purchased this lot in the rapha sale. Before anyone whinges, yes you can probably get it cheaper at the sample sale but not everyone can get to London or take the morning off work to get there

how very community minded of them... "hey guys I went and bought all this stuff for you poor soles who can't get to the sale and I only want a 70% markup for my trouble"

Its typical - for the first time ever there is a sale of stuff that may fit me, at knocked down prices, and the que is a mile long of average joes waiting to buy stuff opportunisticly and try and sell it to me at a mark-up.
  • gtvlusso
    Aguila wrote:

Then why did you bother commenting on this thread? Do you not see the irony of the guy on a hybrid and the marketing strategy of Rapha?

Rapha; a class leading modern/retro clothing brand aimed at high end racers/retro racers and the cash rich fixie crowd.....just look at the website pics, not a hybrid in site! And I see some dude on an old Hybrid in full Rapha kit! Not quite what their marketing dept imagined!

It's not about him, personally.

Geddit?! :-)
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    JZed wrote:
    Its typical - for the first time ever there is a sale of stuff that may fit me, at knocked down prices, and the que is a mile long of average joes waiting to buy stuff opportunisticly and try and sell it to me at a mark-up.

I fully agree JZed and Hatbeard - I get really annoyed at touts (the principle of ticket sales is the same for cycling shorts)

unless it *really* has to be rapha stuff, the answer is surely prendas or shutt - I just don't believe that the markup results in an equal lift in quality
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • hatbeard
    edhornby wrote:
    JZed wrote:

I fully agree JZed and Hatbeard - I get really annoyed at touts (the principle of ticket sales is the same for cycling shorts)

unless it *really* has to be rapha stuff, the answer is surely prendas or shutt - I just don't believe that the markup results in an equal lift in quality

When I was in the shop on sunday I heard a guy complain to his mate that he really wanted but couldn't find a bomber jacket and that they must have all gone, I found what was probably the last one at the bottom of the pile of the box I was rooting through so I picked it up and gave it to him. I guess what I should have done is bought it myself for £70 then charged him £100 for it outside the shop :roll:
    Hat + Beard
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I rode a Boris Bike in my Rapha jacket ? Is that a fashion faux pas ?
  • Nik Cube
    Nik Cube Posts: 311
    no that is class and i don't even live in london :D
    Fcn 5
    Cube attempt 2010
  • Aguila
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Aguila wrote:

So you were laughing at rapha, yeah right.

I commented because it annoys me when people dress up pointing out the perceived inadequacies of others as humour.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,607
    I think the point was that the mismatch between the type of fairly un-self-conscious bicycle and very fashion-conscious apparel was mildly amusing, rather than the rider being somehow unworthy to wear Rapha. A similar situation might be a wicker basket attached to the front of a high-end carbon road bike.

tribars.jpg

Possibly we are both spending far too much time worrying about it.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,406
    Must buy some of this Rapha stuff to wear while riding my hybrid as it seems to wind up roadies quite nicely :) Or would a yellow jersey be better?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • hmbadger
    hmbadger Posts: 181
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Must buy some of this Rapha stuff to wear while riding my hybrid as it seems to wind up roadies quite nicely :) Or would a yellow jersey be better?

A yellow Rapha jersey?

Have I just demonstrated my ignorance of all things Rapha? If so, feel free to laugh at me.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,406
    hmbadger wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

A yellow Rapha jersey?

Have I just demonstrated my ignorance of all things Rapha? If so, feel free to laugh at me.
    I meant one of those jerseys that the Tour de France leader wears...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • hmbadger
    hmbadger Posts: 181
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    hmbadger wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

A yellow Rapha jersey?

I meant one of those jerseys that the Tour de France leader wears...

Yes, but if Rapha did one then you could wind up roadies twice over....
  • gtvlusso
    Aguila wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Aguila wrote:

So you were laughing at rapha, yeah right.

I commented because it annoys me when people dress up pointing out the perceived inadequacies of others as humour.

Do you not understand the word "Irony"?

Is this gonna be like the Southpark episode "Gayfish"?

Rapha spend thousands on marketing and "the image" and some dude rolls up on his old mudguarded hybrid and blows the whole Rapha "image" out of the water, probably wearing clothing that is more expensive than his bike.....Are you deliberately being thick here?

Who is laughing at the bloke on the bike? I like the fact that the whole image and chic was lost in one instant, by one dude on a hybrid - chapeau to him, he is clearly richer than I am. Damn right I am laughing at Rapha!! If the guy had been wearing DHB or something like that, I would not have started a thread, but because Rapha have placed themselves so carefully in the "cycling elite" - the concept of some dude wearing full Rapha and riding a hybrid makes a mockery of the whole thing!

Think about the guy who wears full Dainese Ducati motorbike leathers including the AGV Ducati helmet - then gets onto a Honda CB125 motorbike with "L" plates. Dainese market very specifically with racing bikes and hot chicks. Marketing fail, the point has been missed!!!

If you don't understand the thread then don't comment...I bet that you ride a hybrid and thats why you are annoyed. I'd be annoyed if I rode a hybrid....

:-)
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    hatbeard wrote:

I rode in on 'the pig' (see signature link) wearing my new rapha merino jersey and winter bib longs with my tatty old trainers and camo shorts over the top.

there have been sample sale for ages now, it's not a new thing

this morning I realised that except for gloves, shoes and glasses I had complete rapha kit on... yikes
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Clever Pun
    Maybe to the hybrid rider wearing nice kit makes him feel faster

kind of akin to putting an expensive carbon seatpost onto a hybrid (which to most is stupid), but if it makes you feel better then good for you.

I'm sure citizen Smith here used to ride a crappy(no offence) bike and expensive kit
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Clever Pun
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Think about the guy who wears full Dainese Ducati motorbike leathers including the AGV Ducati helmet - then gets onto a Honda CB125 motorbike with "L" plates. Dainese market very specifically with racing bikes and hot chicks. Marketing fail, the point has been missed!!!

:-)

Actually when I have to pick up the missus's moped I wear high end motorcycle gear as I don't own anything else, not even my own motorcycle :lol:
    No, wait :cry:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5