Finally - Off to get fixed !

fossyant
fossyant Posts: 2,549
edited January 2011 in Commuting chat
Well, two years 2 months, almost to the day, after getting knocked off on a roundabout, I'm finally going in for a subacromial decompression of my left shoulder. That's the down side of being active eh - they think there is nothing wrong with you if you can still ride a bike for 100 miles easily.

Been told I'll be off work for a month, but can get back on bike asap - most likely be on the turbo until the shoulder isn't too painful.

I've also been told I may have to have my A/C joint operated on at some point, but he's not going to do that just yet as that operation can de-stabilise the shoulder.

Anyone else had a decompression - how long were you off the bike, and when did you have to go back to work ? :wink:

Comments

• mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    i have super loose ligaments/ muscles in both of my shoulders that cause em to pop out when ever they feel the need. tried physio that didnt work, hospital suggested surgery but warned me that it could cause reduced range of movement.....i just live with it now an can pop the joints back in pretty good :)
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • fossyant
    That's the problem - I'm likely to lose the range of movement, but I've been left in constant pain, and something is trapping nerves as it also goes down my arm and into my hand. Loss of movement vs pain.... no contest.

Builds my PI case though, but just makes it drag on and on and on.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    im pretty lucky in that respect i have only pain in one of my shoulders once really, my left hand was super tingerly then pins and needles for about a week i thought it was a heart attack!! after that it was fine, lucky its only happened once

from what i understand a decompression op is pretty quick isnt it?

i was just put off with the loss of movement, my biggest concern is getting arthritus at somepoint though. mine are definitly getting worse if i lift my arms above my head they both dislocate, if i lower my arms they both pop back in, when they are stretched out in front of me, they normally go back in with a clunk
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    from the thread title I thought you were going in for the snip :lol:

hope it all goes ok.
    Hat + Beard
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    hatbeard wrote:

hope it all goes ok.

I wasn't sure whether to expect a snipping or a fixed-gear bike...

Cheers,
    W.
  • @fossyant - I had the same procedure last January. I think it was on a Wednesday. I had the rest of that week and the following week off work. I had some strong pain killers which made me a bit loopy for a couple of days before I could stop taking them. Otherwise I was ok. Not too painful if you keep taking the various tablets.

Lucky for me it was not my active arm. Worst thing was having to commute on trains and worrying about people banging into my shoulder. I had a sling to wear - mostly to warn people to keep away - but the surgeon wanted me out of it and using the shoulder within a couple of days. Otherwise the joint can freeze. So only wore it for short periods.

Surgeon said I was ok to get back on to a turbo as soon as I could stomach (from the tablets) it but not to put weight on that arm on the bars. He thought I was a nut case but I was actually starting to train for RAB 2010 at the time so needed to pick the miles up. I think I had 2 or 3 weeks of no riding on roads but managed to keep my fitness from 4-5 turbo sessions a week leading up to that. I think I was on the turbo 2 or 3 days after the op. Really once I'd stopped on the strong pain killers.

It was a bit tender when climbing up hills for the first few outdoor rides but I made a good recovery (touch wood).

Good luck to you and hope it goes well.
  • I'm with Buns, was fully expecting a discussion about chainrings and sprockets!!

Good luck with the Op - shoulders can be funny things, but get some proper rehab sorted and I am sure you will be up and at it in no time
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    hatbeard wrote:

hope it all goes ok.

Cheers,
    W.

I'm not sure which would be worse...
    :wink:
  • fossyant
    Already have FIXED, and haven't been fixed (snip) yet ! LOL !
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    notsoblue wrote:
    hatbeard wrote:

hope it all goes ok.

Cheers,
    W.

I'm not sure which would be worse...
    :wink:
    Worse? Naah, less to worry about in both situations...

Fixed is more fun- lets you enjoy the ride without worrying about equipment failure...

Cheers,
    W.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    I had surgery on my shoulder back on dec 17th since then I've pretty much been in pain everyday even with strong painkillers ;-(

In fact I have a hospital appt today at 5 and yet another physio on Wednesday, this all getting a bit boring now, thankfully I have full range of movement still, it just hurts.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.