Shelf-life of a patched tube?

kelsen
kelsen Posts: 2,003
edited January 2011 in Commuting chat
Over the last 4 days, I've had to change my inner tube 5 times after discovering each one had a slow puncture. These were all previously patched tubes which have been lying around for a while.

Do patches have a shelf-life, or have I just been unlucky? These were all self-adhesive patches from various brands.

Comments

• wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    kelsen wrote:
    Over the last 4 days, I've had to change my inner tube 5 times after discovering each one had a slow puncture. These were all previously patched tubes which have been lying around for a while.

Do patches have a shelf-life, or have I just been unlucky? These were all self-adhesive patches from various brands.

I use traditional patches & rubber solution glue. They seem to last as long as the tube does- I've had a few perish at the valve.

I havn't tried self-adhesive patches. My suspicion is that they would behave exactly as you describe (ie fine for a temporary repair but perhaps not a permanent fix).
    I've read a couple of reports saying they are fine long-term and others similar to yours... I'm inclined to stick (!) to what I know works for the time being.

Don't know if this helps you... it does help me, though, so thank-you for sharing your experience!!

Cheers,
    W.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I usually carry a box of Park patches on a long ride, handy to repair punctures if you run out of tubes. They are nowhere near as reliable as good old fashioned patch and glue though, so generally it is just a "get me home" operation. Also, the box isn't watertight and if they get wet they are buggered. Left me well and truly in the lurch when I got a double puncture on the commute and found I had no working patches for a repair - kind of thing that only happens when you're about 3 miles from the nearest bike shop!
  • when ive used the self sticky ones to get home ive just added a bit of rubber solution round the edges and theyve been fine. bit of a pain having to take it back out but i swap tyres too much anyway
    Spes rockhopper 09 FCN 9
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Instead of fixing at the roadside, stick on a new tube and use some proper glue patches when you get home, I've not a glue patch fail on my yet.

I've also been left out in the rain after my Park patches filled with water...
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Instead of fixing at the roadside, stick on a new tube and use some proper glue patches when you get home, I've not had a glue patch fail yet.
    I've also been left out in the rain after my Park patches filled with water...
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Frankly, for the price of a tube, there's a point at which a new tube is the right way to go.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Frankly, for the price of a tube, there's a point at which a new tube is the right way to go.

Indeed. I picked up a repair kit for free at the Phil and Friends ride last year which had a tube of glue in. Add in Halfords repair strip at 2 quid for, say, 24 repairs and I reckon you can probably cover about 30 punctures before the price of a new tube justifies binning the old tube :lol:

I wouldn't touch the self sticky patches. Even if you were unlucky enough to run out of fresh tubes out on a ride, the effort in using a traditional patch over the glueless sort is minimal. I really can't see the point in the glueless ones unless you are allergic to rubber solution.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Rolf F wrote:
    Indeed. I picked up a repair kit for free at the Phil and Friends ride last year which had a tube of glue in. Add in Halfords repair strip at 2 quid for, say, 24 repairs and I reckon you can probably cover about 30 punctures before the price of a new tube justifies binning the old tube :lol:

Why not cut out the middle man and just make a tube from patches :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    you jest but I've a tube that isn't far away from that; it has sentimental value now :D
  • rolf_f
    Rolf F wrote:

Why not cut out the middle man and just make a tube from patches :wink:

Genius. I'll get back to you on that :lol:
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Out of my way, expert coming through.

So patches then, park are utter crap FACT, they crinkle when the tube is deflated, slip off in real heat and eventually just leak - so emergency only

lezyne have been very good if a little "Rapha-esq"

Slime, pah! did anyone actually test those?

I'm liking the BBB patch kit esp the foam backing, however I need more time to test in the "field"

As already stated several times here the good old fashioned rubber patches make a perm fix, provided you stick them on the right way up :oops:

If you're serious about defeating the PF, buy conti hardshell tyres now in several diff tyre types and or fit tyre liners like Zefal.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    If you patch it properly - it should be as good as new. Ive had tubes perish after a few years - thats pretty good value.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    gbsahne wrote:
    you jest but I've a tube that isn't far away from that; it has sentimental value now :D

Be sure to make a note in your will :wink:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rolf_f
    gbsahne wrote:

poinh :lol:

pictures or it never happened
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Rolf F wrote:
    gbsahne wrote:

poinh :lol:

pictures or it never happened

When I get it out next, I'll take a picture.

It's in one of 6 wheels; cant remember which one though