changing handlebar grips with gripshift, possible?

kevcampbell
kevcampbell Posts: 125
edited January 2011 in MTB general
hi all, looking for a cheap way to change the handlebar grips on my girlfriends bike because she finds the current ones too uncomfortable even with thick gloves on, i said i would look online to see if i could change the handlebar grips, but i just do not know if it is possible

or are there any other alternative solutions, anything she can wrap around the handlebar grips that bike shops would sell? some kind of cushion type thing?

she has a rockrider 5.1, below i have copy and pasted the information you may need

we would be very grateful for any help
Drivetrain - 24 x 34 x 42 steel chainset. SRAM MRX 21 speed twist grip shifters to take you up the steepest hill climbs. Shimano TZ30 front derailleur. Shimano rear derailleur. KMC Z51 chain. Easy to ride for MTB newcomers. The steel chainset with its plastic protection is tough and reliable.
My blog: http://kevincampbellsblog.blogspot.com
Follow my biking journeys and my path in photography and you will also be able to read about much more too including reviews, and all sorts of random rubbish that may amuse or interest you

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Ergo grips. Not the best to cut down though, often the shifter is too far away.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... p-ec021313
  • frogstomp
    frogstomp Posts: 412
    It's hard to tell from the Decathlon site what the standard grips are like, but she may benefit from just switching to a better quality grip - something like the ODI Yeti (which I use) which is available in short, gripshift guise..

The Ergon grips are supposed to be very comfortable and alse comes in gripshift specific versions..
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    As Frogstomp says, shorter grips for use with Grip shift are available, although harder to find than standard size. ODI ruffians are popular for smaller hands...
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • the ergon grips look interesting, do evans cycles or another high street store sell them so she can get a feel for the grips? do not want to waste about £20 :lol:

did not mention before, but she usually has troubles mainly with the palm of her hand and where the fingers join the palm of the hand, that is usually where she talks about pain, i can take a picture of her current grips if that would help? it would be of no trouble for me to go get a picture right now

thanks
    My blog: http://kevincampbellsblog.blogspot.com
    Follow my biking journeys and my path in photography and you will also be able to read about much more too including reviews, and all sorts of random rubbish that may amuse or interest you
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Just get a set of these vavert grips

Relatively cheap ergon style grips, and a good place to start. Also easy to cut down with a kitchen knife.
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    I have similar problem when I use too skinny grips, maily because of injuries to the volar plates (the bit where your finger joins the palm) I found ODI rogues fitted best , they do a short version of the lock on but you could probably cut down the slip on version.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • Grip shifts are brilliant, i use Oury grips, cut down to about 3 "squares".
    Comfy and line up with the shifter well.