Shimano Di2 with Campag chainset.

chipperleenie
chipperleenie Posts: 217
edited February 2011 in Workshop
Silly idea or would it work?

Am building up a new bike but can't splash out on all the bits just yet. Will be having Di2 and wondered if anyone has run Shimano gears on a Campag chainset.

Main points are whether the chain meshes ok and the spacing between the two chainrings I guess.

Comments

• Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    I can't see any reason why not, spacing is the same or so close as to make no difference and chain meshing will not be an issue.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    All chainsets use the same standard chainline dimensions - compatability is rarely an issue.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Should work but be aware that the campag chainrings won't be as strong as the dura ace ones so there is a chance that they will bend when the mech moves.
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Should work but be aware that the campag chainrings won't be as strong as the dura ace ones so there is a chance that they will bend when the mech moves.
    ?????????
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Should work but be aware that the campag chainrings won't be as strong as the dura ace ones so there is a chance that they will bend when the mech moves.

And that sweeping statement is based on what metallurgical study?
    M.Rushton
  • It is the reason that shimano changed the design of their chainsets when they brought out DI2.

Also check out any pros that use SRMs with DI2 - they used the older style dura ace chainrings but these didn't work as well as the new style Dura ace chainrings.

It is just a simple fact that the motor on the DI2 front mech is more powerful that a cable operated front change.

That might not be a metallurgical study but is the reason why the dura ace chainrings were changed and therefore why it might not be such a good idea to use a different chainring.

Please not that I am not staging that a different chainset won't work as it will, just that there may be problems associated with doing so.

Now please calm down.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    ^ more marketing bollox ^
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Yawn.

My DI2 front mech is a heap more powerful than any cable operated front mech - chainrings do flex, have a look yourself if you own any.

If you are spending a load of money on a bike surely you would want it to work perfectly in all riding conditions?

If you don't and you will be happy making do with problems then just ignore 'marketing bollocks' and more experienced posters advice and mix and match to your hearts content.

What is it with people on this forum who get so worked up and demand studies to back up some answers yet will happily accept other bizarre advice with no evidence, anecdotal or otherwise??

If you don't have anything constructive to add to a thread, move on and respond to one that you can add to. If you don't understand a post, just ask for further information.
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,823
    WARNING:

Please don't feed the troll.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • Silly idea or would it work?

Am building up a new bike but can't splash out on all the bits just yet. Will be having Di2 and wondered if anyone has run Shimano gears on a Campag chainset.

Main points are whether the chain meshes ok and the spacing between the two chainrings I guess.

Just to clarify for the less intelligent:

Yes it will work, the chain will mesh OK and the spacing between the 2 chainrings will be fine.

However - there is a chance that prolonged use will result in problems with the outer chainring. This is due to the force of the front mech moving the chain to the larger ring. The reason for the chainring redesign is to make them stronger. Older style DA chainrings used to flex / bend quite easily. This may or may not happen with Campag chainrings, I've not tried it but it is an issue that you should be mindful of and will be worth bearing in mind if you do mix components and have problems in the future.

I hope that that is all clear and makes sense. You might not agree with it but that is your problem, not mine.
  • Thanks for the useful replies, I expect the usual arguments between posters on here.

The reason behind doing this is to save having to fork out on the chainset for a few months but still being able to use the bike with Di2 functionality.

As far as the flex of the chainrings is concerned as this is only during a change from inner ring to outer ring it should only be when chainging and as long as the chain does not become unshipped during this process it sounds like I should be ok. It is certainly not going to fail due to fatigue over the period of time I intend using it.

As far as the flex of the chainrings is concerned as this is only during a change from inner ring to outer ring it should only be when chainging and as long as the chain does not become unshipped during this process it sounds like I should be ok. It is certainly not going to fail due to fatigue over the period of time I intend using it.

I'd imagine that the bigger issue will be you burning in hell for all eternity for mixing campag and shimano :lol:
    Has the head wind picked up or the tail wind dropped off???
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734

It is just a simple fact that the motor on the DI2 front mech is more powerful that a cable operated front change.

Not wanting to further the argument, but is a 7.4v powered front mech really more powerful than a hand operated cable front mech, if so I'm surprised.

I'd imagine that the bigger issue will be you burning in hell for all eternity for mixing campag and shimano :lol:

I am already getting grief from mates for going over to the dark side after 26 years on Campag!!!! :oops:

But after trying Di2 at the show and reading every review I could find on them, I thought I had better try them out.
  • Flasher wrote:

Not wanting to further the argument, but is a 7.4v powered front mech really more powerful than a hand operated cable front mech, if so I'm surprised.

I stuck a pencil between the chainring and the mech and pressed the button and it sliced it clean in 2. The manual says to take the battery out when working close to the front mech and I can see why.