PSA Top Gear NOW

nicklouse
nicklouse Posts: 50,675
edited February 2011 in The Crudcatcher
BBC2
"Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
Parktools :?:SheldonBrown

Comments

• sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    that

van

was

awesome

i thought i recognised those wheels.
  • toby_winkler
    toby_winkler Posts: 1,298
    I'm pretty sure they had that exact same van at Goodwood last year when i was there, was blooming quick. It made it into the top 20 shoot out.

4765847844_c7d75ce086_z.jpg
  • ali$tair
    ali$tair Posts: 373
    Sh1t episode IMO, half of it was spent re-doing a competition from a couple of series' ago. And Borris Becker WTF?
    Trek Fuel EX 8 (2010)
  • sheepsteeth
    i thought it was anuva guddun.

i like my tv to be easy on the mind though.
  • Should have spent more time on that awesome van imo. Other than that, entertaining as ever.

I know a lot of it will be editing and such, but the new stig does seem to be pretty impressive so far.
  • Will get this when in work tomorrow.
    Formally known as Coatbridgeguy
  • toby_winkler
    Yes, probably wasn't one of the best episodes, but still entertaining. Better than any of the other crap on TV on a Sunday night.

This series seems to be funnier than previous series so far as well, I find myself chuckling along more than I have done previously.
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    Entertaining enough, but not a great episode.

Oh and I'm adding a Ferrari 559 GTO to my Christmas list...
  • i liked the ferrari bit, an actual test of a car, and an actual mention of true sports car heros.

and i liked the funny bit, yeah very simalar to the germans one, but still funny, cause it was just different enough.

and that van, want 1, just for fun at traffic lights haha
  • phz
    phz Posts: 478
    could be typical TG media trickery (tom cruise anyone?), but the new stig appears to have coached people to be consistently quicker by 2 or more seconds in similar conditions than the old one.

the first of the quicker times was admitted to be tiff - is he still in the driver's seat you reckon?

despite the scripting and obvious stuff I still find myself liking TG

slainte :lol: rob
  • nicklouse
    edited January 2011
    I heard talk that the Stig has had a sex change.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    250GTO. That was pants changing time.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    nicklouse wrote:
    A girl stig? Eh? I thought you were a bloke? :shock:
  • j_l
    j_l Posts: 425
    nicklouse wrote:

Sabine Schmitz

http://www.speedbee.de/

her and TG do have history, so may well be

No doubt she's quick

http://twbrit.com/2009/03/31/the-nurbur ... e-schmitz/
    I'm not old I'm Retro
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    +1 for wanting that van, shame the car it's based on was a metro engined reject.
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • Anonymous
    You mean the engine from the 6R4 that they had to define because it was twisting the cassis, and yet it still did over 200mph?
    You must be picky if you call that a reject.
  • spongtastic
    You mean the engine from the 6R4 that they had to define because it was twisting the cassis, and yet it still did over 200mph?
    You must be picky if you call that a reject.

I'm not picky but the production car had no 4wd, no v12, no scissor doors, half the parts coming from other makers, and not just Ford. Still a great car though.

• Anonymous
    Well, no. The engine was from a 6R4. Which was a V6, 4 wheel drive,hence the name.
    Was it ever meant to have a V12?
  • toby_winkler
    J L wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

Sabine Schmitz

http://www.speedbee.de/

her and TG do have history, so may well be

No doubt she's quick

http://twbrit.com/2009/03/31/the-nurbur ... e-schmitz/

I also thought this after my brother said that he reckons the new stig is a women. I think it would be a bit obvious, after her previous involvement with the show. You would have thought they would have wanted to use a nobody, keep it all secret and that.

I suppose there isn't much chance of a nobody being at least 2 seconds quicker etc though.
  • sheepsteeth
    i owuld imagine the stop watch has changed along with the driver.
  • spongtastic
    Well, no. The engine was from a 6R4. Which was a V6, 4 wheel drive,hence the name.
    Was it ever meant to have a V12?

The metro was 4wd but not the jag. It was supposed to be v12, but due to development and emissions they used the turbo v6. V6 was more powerful on papee but suffered from horrendus turbo lag. I've been in one and it's comical, put your foot down and the turbo kicks in about 5 days later.

Didn't help that most of the buyers were chancers hoping to make a fast buck by selling it on.

• Anonymous
    Ah, I hadn't realised it was ever meant to be a V12.
    The original Metro 6R4 was naturally aspirated, as it happens. And even though it was pretty damned powerful, it was one of the least powered rally cars of it's era. It didn't however, suffer turbolag, obviously.
  • nicklouse
    the 6R4 was originally going to have a Honda V6 in the back.

:wink:
  • Anonymous
    nicklouse wrote:
    the 6R4 was originally going to have a Honda V6 in the back.

:wink:
    Really? I can;t help thinking that would have been better!
    Who manufactured the 6R4's engine anyway? Wasn't it a cut and shut Rover V8? Great engine.
  • nicklouse
    yep was a V8 block reduced to a V6 in most cases.

But we have an original V8 one for the 6R4 out here.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    The resulting car was shown to the world in May 1985. It was powered by a David Wood designed bespoke 3-litre V6 powerplant which used some of the engine architecture of the Cosworth DFV. It featured twin overhead camshafts and four valves per cylinder. The engine was a break from the norm, as it wasn't turbocharged as the majority of its competitors were.

Not my words but Wiki....
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    a good un I thought... too many people worry too much about scripting and the lack of actual tests, who cares, its fun, car related and harmless.

im yet to see a truly bad episode of TG... and I've seen every one since its 2001 rebirth...
    I like bikes and stuff
  • j_l
    j_l Posts: 425
    6R4 was developed by Williams GP engineering if I remember correctly?

proffered the Ford RS 200 though of the same Group B era
    I'm not old I'm Retro
  • Anonymous
    What do you mean the 6R4 proffered the rs200?
    (I mean it quite literally, I double checked the meaning of the word and still don't get it :lol: )

The Lancia delta S4 was always the one I liked. But they were all awesome cars.
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    I bought a Lancia Delta HF Turbo in martini flavour! Git i bought it off wouldnt go through with the sale (ebay transaction) :evil:
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty