Looking for a 12" aluminium framed pedal bike for a 3yr

Pipster3
Pipster3 Posts: 82
edited February 2011 in Family & kids cycling forum
My little lad is 3yrs old in a couple of weeks and I'm looking to get him his first pedal bike he has spent the last year on a balance bike and rides it really well can freewheel down hills no problems ...looking for a quality bike with a aluminium frame was going to buy the Specialized Hotrock 12 but noticed it has not got brakes :( so been looking at this one by Dawes http://www.dawescycles.com/p-241-blowfish-12.aspx anyone got any other makes that fit the bill ??? Must be ally frame they seem to be as much as a 1kg lighter than steel and have brakes in the 12" size thanks in advance

Phil

Comments

• baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    Pipster3 wrote:
    ... was going to buy the Specialized Hotrock 12 but noticed it has not got brakes :( ...l
    I guess you mean hand brakes?

I'd suggest a coaster brake (which the hotrock has) is a MUST with any kid's bike. They just don't have the hand strength to stop the bike otherwise. That makes hand brake optional, however it is good for them to get to know how to use them, and can be very useful to hold the bike still when mounting/dismounting.

Agree 100% with your comments on weight. These little-uns don't weigh much, so an additional 1kg on the bike would be like adding 5 or more kg to an adult's bike.

Good luck on your search, oh, and [cough]Islabikes[cough, cough]
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • baudman wrote:
    [

Good luck on your search, oh, and [cough]Islabikes[cough, cough]

Thanks mate

Just had a look at the Islabike Cnoc 14 that's just what I've been looking for a proper little bike without all the mad kiddy colour schemes :Dhttp://www.islabikes.co.uk/bike_pages/cnoc14.html

Take on board what your saying about the pedal back brake but he already gets how hand brakes work from all the time he's spent on my bike in a forward facing child seat ...

Plus he will only be riding the bike on cycle trails and at the local park and in the garden ...he's plenty strong enough to scrub some speed off I hope :D

Regards

Phil
  • Little lads Cnoc 14 arrived yesterday ...wow great little bike top quality and great customer service thanks to all at Islabikes and a big thank you to Baudman for recommending them :D

Leo036.jpg
  • baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    Niiiice.

If he's yet to master the pedals, take them off for a few hours (even minutes), so he can see it still 'runbikes' and he gets used to the geo/weight. Then put the pedals on, and watch him go.

(Unless he's never pedalled anything, and if that's the case, find something he can so he understands it. Borrow a trike or something. Once he understands pedaling, it is easily added to the balance he already has).
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike