Setting up a wheel

doubleforwards
doubleforwards Posts: 26
edited January 2011 in Workshop
Wasn't sure what to call this thread but here goes!

I've been fixing up a bike fo the wife. Re cabled cleaned up pretty well and trued the wheels was fairly pleased with myself. I've just had another look and the rear wheel isn't sitting in the middle of the bike, first thought was I'd un-dished(?) it bit really didn't play about with it that much and can't see how the rim could move over much more!

Any ideas please!?

Thanks df

Comments

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Sounds like you need a dishing tool or truing stand that is self centering to see what's gone wrong.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If you can turn the wheel around, you should be able to see how it is out. You can true a wheel pretty accurately without a wheel jig or dishing tool e.g. use brake caliper as a guide
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    yes. turn it 180 degrees in the frame, if it moves to the opposite side its not centred. if it stays to the same side the frame is bent. when the rim is centred over the axle in a straight frame it will be in the middle either way round.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Are you sure the axles were fully pushed into the dropouts?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Des you've cracked it?

Actually I did work it out last night. The dropouts and horizontal and on one side they seem to be shorter than the other with some kind of spacer; so if pushed all the way back on both sides the wheel wasn't sitting straight.

Presumably its OK not to have the whhel right at the back of the dropouts?

DF