chipped tooth on gear

chris_bass
chris_bass Posts: 4,913
edited February 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi

I have noticed a 'click' when pedaling recently and today gave my bike a good clean, and notioced that one of the 'teeth' on the largest gear at the front (sorry not sure of the correct terms!)

will this cause any further problems or if i can put up with the click in the pedal will it be ok?
www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    teeth do not have a regular profile.

see
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopi ... 8#15592588
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    nicklouse wrote:

see

But they can break too!

But even if one was damaged it might not be the source of your annoying noise- I snapped one off my chainring once and didn't even notice it until I was cleaning it.
  • nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    Last time my bike was making a clicking noise whilst pedalling it was because the crank arms needed tightening, so it might be that.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    What nicklouse was (not very helpfully) trying to say, is that sometimes, some of the teeth are shorter to aid shifting. Are you sure this isn't the case, and that your cranks may need tightening, or maybe your bottom bracket is worn?
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    My big ring has had two teeth missing for a while because I refuse to put a new drivetrain on during winter- doesn't seem to cause to many problems.
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    MrChuck wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

see

But they can break too!

But even if one was damaged it might not be the source of your annoying noise- I snapped one off my chainring once and didn't even notice it until I was cleaning it.
    sure they can but 99% of the time it is the first time people have looked at the teeth and they think that they have broken some.

and some of the cheaper chain rings look very damaged but that is just how they are.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Thanks for the replies, it did look like quite a clean break so chances are it isn't broken and is just one of the smaller teeth!

I'll have an investigate into the click!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • I lost a tooth on the big ring from a rock strike on my Trek; not bothered to change it as I rarely use it and when I do it still shifts no problem.
    I may replace with a bash at some point.
  • If you use spd's you can also get a clicking noise from these if they need re greasing etc... It can sound like it's a chainset/BB type noise.

Give them a good clean and lube up then see if the noise persists
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?