Question on replacing BB with a Chris King square taper BB

jenko66
jenko66 Posts: 24
edited January 2011 in Workshop
I will be tackling the Fred Whitton again this year and experience tells me that I need a triple chainset to get up Hardknott.

I have managed to get hold of a lovely TA Carmina triple chainset which I would like to install onto my Kuota Kharma. Only trouble is it requires a square tapered BB. I was thinking of investing in a decent Chris King BB for the job, but I'm not sure of the thread of a Kharma BB shell. Is it Itallian or English ? Does anyone know what BB crank length I would need for the carmina crankset ? Am I likely to encounter unforeseen problems that I've overlooked ? I'm assuming that the 105 STI's that came with the bike (2008) are both double and triple compatible.

Any advice or comments are will be gratefully received.

Comments

• Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    I have a Kuota Kebel and its english thread for the bottom bracket.
    Before you buy a bottom bracket you need to find out what taper your cranks are.TA do both ISO and JIS tapers.Get the wrong taper and the sizing will go out the window.
  • Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    I've just searched and it seems that the Carimina is ISO so not sure if a Chris king will fit.
    TA bottom brackets are still pretty good though, or you could use Campag.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Chris King doesn't do square taper only Shimano type outboard bearings. You'll need a TA or Stronglight BB or a Campag (prob.115mm if triple) or if you want to spend the money then Royce or Phil Wood are reassuringly expensive. You'll need English thread nd your shifters may/may not be triple. Campag are because they are made that way but Shimano are double or triple specific
    M.Rushton
  • canamdad
    canamdad Posts: 165
    You won't go wrong with a Phil Wood. I've used one for years with a TA cyclotourist crank. Check here for product info and they're very helpful on answering questions by email
    www.philwood.com/
    Also, this place sells them with free worldwide delivery www.aspirevelotech.com and are probably another source for info as well.