Rear Mech Eaten by Wheel - Why?

desmojen
desmojen Posts: 136
edited January 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys,

Out on a muddy one today, and my hubby had a rear mech/rear wheel interface. I was wondering why this happens?
We are assuming it was because the mud clogged everything up, but I'd like to know for sure to try and avoid a repeat incident. Damage is not too bad, the mech cage is badly bent, along with the hanger. One spoke seems to have been tagged as well, so the wheel will need to be checked and repaired.
Is it possible to get cage parts for an XT shadow mech separately, or is a new mech the only way?

Jen.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    could be many things.

damage causing it to point into the wheel

incorrect chain length along with incorrect gears ripping the mech off.

chain length not right for the suspension design.

a twig.

and finally just too much crud.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • b16 b3n
    b16 b3n Posts: 301
    bent drop out, or overshifting?
    " GET BACK CROC "
  • I guess we can probably put it down to too much crud then. I've had the bike since last sept and it's all as new specs wise. It was an extremely muddy and claggy chalk based section on the ridgeway. There is lots of debris up there too including twigs and stones of varying sizes. I wasn't doing any shifting at the time as we were descending and due to the conditions it was very slow going. I guess it was just bad luck, as Jen's Trance had got blocked up several times on the ride yet this was the first time for mine today. Luckily in some ways we were only about a mile from the van so after getting the mech out of the wheel I could push down the rest of the way. Not Ideal but it could have been a lot worse.
    :?