New-to-the-Road Rider, progression tips wanted!

Shakes1987
Shakes1987 Posts: 21
Hi All,

I have been focussed on mountain biking for the past 3-4 years but have sort of lost interest with it in the last 8-12months (A combination of my lack-of-talent and funds w.r.t. constantly having to buy new helmets!). The friends I used to go Llandegla with have changed thier efforts to road cycling over a year ago now as well.

Since I haven't ridden properly in a while I decided to take the plunge change my sport to Road Cycling. I couldn't be happier!

I treated myself to a road bike this christmas, a (Genesis Aether20 '10), a turbo and all the road gear you really need (according to my road-worn friends) and am progressing nicely I feel, I've had a few short weekend cycles when the weather's been fogiving and have maintained high discipline by turbo'ing 30-40mins every evening after work since I bought the kit (including weekends).

I'm feeling a lot of strength in my thighs and calves a-kin to when I was at my 'MTBing peak' but am not really shifting that bit of belly flab that is ever-present. Anyone have any tips on the best way to get rid of that and tone up a little?

I was just wondering if anyone had any tips for me in terms of getting to a decent level of road cycling fitness? I reckon the biggest impact on my training I can make is diet-based, though I'm not the best cook, I tend to end up eating lots of chicken based meals like curries, fajitas or chicken/pasta/pea combos!

Thanks in advance guys!

Comments

• 16mm
    16mm Posts: 545
    To lose the belly, eat whatever you were going to have, but cook and eat a smaller portion.
    Be a bit hungry now and then.
  • bilirubin
    bilirubin Posts: 225
    16mm wrote:
    To lose the belly, eat whatever you were going to have, but cook and eat a smaller portion.
    Be a bit hungry now and then.

The above......................................Plus dump the curries etc and eat healthy meals, if you are prepared to put in the effort and the miles on your new road bike you may as well help yourself by eating better because results will come a lot quicker.

Good luck