Save Our National Forests

monsterziggy
monsterziggy Posts: 101
edited February 2011 in MTB general
Fellow riders, please go to one of the following site and help save our forest from the current goverment chops!!!!!!

www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/

www.38degrees.org.uk/page/s/save-our-forests

Thanks
xxx

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    They are not being sold, they are being leased out.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Fellow riders, please go to one of the following site and help save our forest from the current goverment chops!!!!!!

www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/

www.38degrees.org.uk/page/s/save-our-forests

Thanks
    xxx

Have signed the petition, written to my MP and joined the protest today at Grizedale Forest. The implications of this proposal are enormous and have consequences not only for cyclists but for everyone who enjoys access to the countryside, or who wants their children to continue to enjoy that access.

We MUST make our voices heard in the consultation process so please, write to your MP, sign the petition and join the protests. There will be more.

Border TV report on the Grizedale protest here: http://www.itv.com/border/
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    cooldad wrote:
    They are not being sold, they are being leased out.
    To the highest bidder to turn into Centre Parcs, drill for oil, or build a lair for an evil super villain.

The main concern though is whether access will be retained. Not that we actually have rights to ride in public forests anyway except on bridlepaths. Not sure we'd actually lose anything, but our case for gaining equal rights to pesky walkers is not helped by this.

Of other concern is the threat to access on MoD land (again we never really had rights anyway, just the MoD have been fairly tolerant so far).

http://www.singletrackworld.com/2011/01 ... ew-threat/
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I thought my new lair was a secret
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The main concern though is whether access will be retained. Not that we actually have rights to ride in public forests anyway except on bridlepaths. Not sure we'd actually lose anything, but our case for gaining equal rights to pesky walkers is not helped by this.

As an MTBer my main concern is that trail centres will disappear.

As a generally concerned subject of this kingdom, my wider concern is that something which is ours by right is being taken from us and handed to private interests.
  • Not this again :roll:

Threads on this topic should now automatically be moved to the crudcatcher.
  • Why? Access is the most important issue the sport faces. We should all oppose these sales.
  • This Wednesday there is a crunch vote in Parliament. MPs will vote on a motion demanding a rethink of plans to sell our national forests.

PLEASE EMAIL YOUR MP
    www.38degrees.org.uk/tell-your-mp-to-save-our-forests

This vote was announced on Friday - it's only happening thanks to everything we have done together to stand up for our public forests. The motion itself says that, "over 225,000 people have signed a petition against such a sell-off"! [1] It's even more proof that our campaign is working and that if we keep going we can win.

On Wednesday morning, MPs will open up newspapers to find full-page 'Save our Forests adverts' – paid for by thousands of us. Let’s back this powerful message in the media with an avalanche of emails to MPs from local voters urging them to do the right thing.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Email sent to MP. Don't hold out a lot of hope as there is no rational reason to sell off the FC land at this time so I can only assume it's being politcally driven.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result