God

sniper68
sniper68 Posts: 2,910
edited January 2011 in The Crudcatcher
To follow on from the Fig rolls/God existing thread I give you this:-
1000ft fall
Might not be "God" in the outdated religious/superstitious sense but by fcuk something was watching over that lucky barsteward :shock:

Comments

• sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    that is very lucky indeed!

i am very firmly in the god does exist camp, ive been too lucky in the past for him not to.

im not clever enough to win arguments agianst folk with intelligent scientific proof as to why he definately doesnt exist, but i know for a fact he does, i suppose thats what faith is though.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,699
    edited January 2011
    There is no intelligent scientific proof that God doesn't exist, anyone claiming that is making just as much of an assumption from faith as a believer.

I'm not a believer, but I'm also not going to definitely say 'God doesn't exist', other than in jest. I do think that the concept of an all-loving, all-forgiving god who sends you to eternal damnation for not believing in him/her/it for the insignificant blink of an eye that you're alive as portrayed by most of the major religions is quite fundamentally wrong though...
  • sheepsteeth
    whyamihere wrote:
    I do think that the concept of an all-loving, all-forgiving god who sends you to eternal damnation for not believing in him/her/it for the insignificant blink of an eye that you're alive as portrayed by most of the major religions is quite fundamentally wrong though...

same here,
  • whyamihere wrote:
    I'm not a believer, but I'm also not going to definitely say 'God doesn't exist', other than in jest. I do think that the concept of an all-loving, all-forgiving god who sends you to eternal damnation for not believing in him/her/it for the insignificant blink of an eye that you're alive as portrayed by most of the major religions is quite fundamentally wrong though...

That would make you agnostic.

Most people who claim to be aethiest are really agnostic too.

Aetheism is as much of a religion as religion is, since it's the a complete belief that there is no god.

If evidence came along that demonstrated his/her presence, then I'm sure most people who currently don't believe, would from that point forward.

I'm agnostic, but with a leaning towards aethiesm. I've never seen any verifiable evidence for the existence of a god, but plenty of evidence for other possibilities. In any case, I would find it pretty hard to believe in the god of the bible/koran/torah.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Atheism is not a religion, in the same way that disbelief in the tooth fairy or invisible pink unicorns is not a religion.
    Religion requires faith, atheism does not, it is simply the default position for something which is totally unproven, and probably unprovable.
    I get so sick of hearing/reading of a plane crash or similar - hundreds die and some poor kid is hauled out of the wreckage seriously injured, and without fail there will be a string of god saved her, it's a miracle etc.

Codswallop.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    IMHO
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • whyamihere
    cooldad wrote:
    Atheism is not a religion, in the same way that disbelief in the tooth fairy or invisible pink unicorns is not a religion.
    Religion requires faith, atheism does not, it is simply the default position for something which is totally unproven, and probably unprovable.
    I get so sick of hearing/reading of a plane crash or similar - hundreds die and some poor kid is hauled out of the wreckage seriously injured, and without fail there will be a string of god saved her, it's a miracle etc.

Codswallop.
    Atheism is the active belief that there is no God, that requires faith.
  • sheepsteeth
    cooldad wrote:

Codswallop.

i'll wallop your cod in a minute.
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    cooldad wrote:

Codswallop.

People surviving by what could be called a miracle is no more a proof of God than the pain and suffering in the world is a proof against. Atheistic, Christian, Muslim and Jewish worldviews all allow for the presence of both. It interests me how many (not all!) of those opposed to a god in whatever form are quick to cite the latter but rubbish the former and not see the conflict. To be fair, it happens the other way around, but IME there is more awareness that things going wrong is a problem, YMMV.

Also, I think technically a lot of people who claim to be atheists are probably agnostic- it does take a fair step to go from 'I don't know if God exists, but he probably doesn't' to 'God definitely doesn't exist'. However, they act as if he doesn't, making them 'functional atheists', so it depends on where you want to draw the line!
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • Kitty
    Kitty Posts: 2,844
    I believe in God, but I believe it's each persons right to believe in what they want and that I might be wrong.
  • cooldad wrote:

Codswallop.

i'll wallop your cod in a minute.

You've not got a good cod walloping in you.
  • sheepsteeth
    i have walloped more cods than yeehaa has had hot dinners.
  • cooldad
    whyamihere wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Codswallop.

To reiterate:
    Codswallop.
    It is a lack of belief in the supernatural, which by definition is unprovable. Ergo a lack of belief in God, gods or anything similar. It is passive, not active.
    It is impossible to prove that something does not exist.
    It is not however impossible to prove that something doe exist. I the absence of any proof...
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    edited January 2011
    i have walloped more cods than yeehaa has had hot dinners.

I think you mean minnows. At least that's what Mrs Sheep told me.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • whyamihere
    cooldad wrote:
    whyamihere wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Codswallop.

To reiterate:
    Codswallop.
    It is a lack of belief in the supernatural, which by definition is unprovable. Ergo a lack of belief in God, gods or anything similar. It is passive, not active.
    It is impossible to prove that something does not exist.
    It is not however impossible to prove that something doe exist. I the absence of any proof...
    What you're describing is agnosticism, not atheism. Otherwise, what would you call an active belief that there is no God?
  • cooldad
    Very similar I suppose, except it is generally accepted that agnostics believe that there may be some higher power, but that it is unknowable, and atheist that there is no such power.
    But careful study of the dictionary may prove me wrong.
    But this is crudcatcher, so wrong is the default position.
    Now if we were in the hub...
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • D-Cyph3r
    D-Cyph3r Posts: 847
    Religions biggest problem isn't science or proof, it's fucking idiots like this trying to convince other idiots 1 way or the other (it does work both ways).
  • cooldad
    You can see how his hand falls naturally into that position though. Obviously gets a lot of practice.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • sheepsteeth
    D-Cyph3r wrote:
    Religions biggest problem isn't science or proof, it's ******* idiots like this trying to convince other idiots 1 way or the other (it does work both ways).

ive said it before and i will remind you heathen fuckers again:

people only eat bananas because they like the shape, you dirty cock eating bastards
  • cooldad
    D-Cyph3r wrote:
    Religions biggest problem isn't science or proof, it's ******* idiots like this trying to convince other idiots 1 way or the other (it does work both ways).

ive said it before and i will remind you heathen idiots again:

people only eat bananas because they like the shape, you dirty fool eating bastards

I take great pleasure in slicing one onto my cornflakes every morning.
    I am sure it must be the result of some deep rooted psychological issue.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • sheepsteeth
    aaah, eating one with cutlery is perfectly acceptable, copping hold of one in one hand and cupping a pair o kiwis in the other is about as fruty as it gets.
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Religion. I blame God.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Fig rolls-God-bananas :D
    I don't believe in God.I don't consider myself to be either an Atheist or Agnostic,I just don't buy into the good v evil that religion in general seems to be based on.
    From a personal point of view I think some people need an emotional crutch,some have religion,some have booze/drugs and some just don't need anything.
    My Gran was a devout Christian who converted to Catholicism in her 60's( :roll: ) and she always said "you'll find your Faith one day".Well there have been a few occasions in my life where if I were to have "found my faith" I would have,I didn't so it just confirms that I will probably always be an non-believer.
    I'm firmly on the live-and-let-live fence.
  • cooldad
    aaah, eating one with cutlery is perfectly acceptable, copping hold of one in one hand and cupping a pair o kiwis in the other is about as fruty as it gets.

A pair of Kiwis? I would.
    xena2xc5.jpeg
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • colt
    colt Posts: 173
    Back to the original post, God,if he does exist pushed him off the mountain to begin with :?: :twisted:
    Trek Fuel EX8 Rootbeer, mmm beer!