Petition to save The Hub Glentress

Gingie
Gingie Posts: 98
edited February 2011 in MTB general
There's a new petition that's been set up to help save the Hub.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/savethehub/

pop you're name on the list and lets help save this awesome place :)

Comments

• Bit late isn't it?
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    They really are awesome at bad grace aren't they. I started out sort of nominally on their side but with every one of their excellent moves they make, including that Scotsman hatchet job they did before the bids were chosen, I'm coming round to the idea that they're a pair of knobbers. GT Hotel on the other hand seem to be pretty cool so good for them on winning the contract with their superior bid and keeping it local, I'm looking forward to such modern concepts as "a roof" and "enough seats at lunchtime"
    Uncompromising extremist
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Only hope left is to stalk the minister concerned and get pics with mistress, rentboy, ladyboy or hooker in ditch with head on backwards.

This is obviously a hypothetical solution and I would never recommend breaking the law in any way.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    hasnt the new contract been sorted now?

isnt the new cafe going to be better?
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    Was there tonight for the first time this year (i love my patriot - first time out on it in 4 months). Are the buildings on the right (as you head up the first fire road) the new whatever? If so it looks pretty slick.
  • Northwind
    hasnt the new contract been sorted now?

isnt the new cafe going to be better?

Yes, and maybe, the contract's been given to the people who run the Glentress Hotel next door.

Thing is the old one had decent food, good people, a nice atmosphere but was still basically 2 mouldy portakabins, just far too small, most of the seating's outside which is fine in summer when it's dry. But it's scotland so summer lasts for about 3 days and it still rains anyway.

The new one seems to be starting off good, it's another local company that's already known as bike friendly, but a lot of people reckon the new facility is a bit too flash and will have no atmosphere, a bit like Coed y Brenin. Possibly true. I bet it's fine though.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Broonster
    Broonster Posts: 440
    I think there is room for both facilities - the flash '5-star' offering at the new centre and, for the crusties, the Hub with it's laid-back attitude & good food.
    Winter: Moda Nocturne
    Road: Cervelo R3
    'Cross: Ridley X-Night
    Commuter: Genesis Day One
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    It's a bit late now... the new centre is already being built
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    Broonster wrote:
    I think there is room for both facilities - the flash '5-star' offering at the new centre and, for the crusties, the Hub with it's laid-back attitude & good food.

that set up doesn't make an attractive proposition for anyone to bid on the '5 star' contract though does it..
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Broonster
    cee wrote:
    Broonster wrote:

that set up doesn't make an attractive proposition for anyone to bid on the '5 star' contract though does it..

Nope, but at the same time it doesn't really make it attractive to the paying customer either IMO. In this '5-star facility' they're likely to be charging 5-star prices too, in order to pay for these flash facilities that have just had millions spent on them, and I can't see there being a glut of people wanting to pay for it. I wouldn't say the centre is ultimately going to lose out as a result - people will just take along a good old flask of tea and a couple of peanut butter sandwiches for when they get back to the car after their ride! :lol:
  • Broonster
    ilovedirt wrote:

But the existing operation has a contract up until mid-2012 I believe.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    FFS people, get a grip! The Hub is leaving, nothing you can do about it and if you even knew half of the true story you wouldn't be siding with them. Why is it people think they are so great, everything in the cafe is overpriced and doesn't even taste that great. The facilities offered by them aren't very good and the service is just average, not bad but nothing spectacular. The bike shop is good, yes, but then, so are a lot of other places that have gone bye bye yet no one gives a damn about them
  • peter413
    Broonster wrote:
    ilovedirt wrote:

But the existing operation has a contract up until mid-2012 I believe.

Two separate contracts, the bike shop is up next month IIRC and the cafe next year
  • Broonster
    peter413 wrote:
    FFS people, get a grip! The Hub is leaving, nothing you can do about it and if you even knew half of the true story you wouldn't be siding with them. Why is it people think they are so great, everything in the cafe is overpriced and doesn't even taste that great. The facilities offered by them aren't very good and the service is just average, not bad but nothing spectacular. The bike shop is good, yes, but then, so are a lot of other places that have gone bye bye yet no one gives a damn about them

The challenge here for you is - find me where in this thread anyone has been 'siding with them'?!

Jesus, everything you've stated in your post is all a matter of opinion. In my case, all I'm looking for is a fair deal for myself as a consumer and am not 'siding' with anyone. :roll:
  • peter413
    Well considering that this is a thread about a petition to try to (pointlessly) save The Hub...

Can you honestly say that being charged nearly a fiver for a toastie with some cheap coleslaw and two fillings is a fair deal?! The same with a baked potato, completely overpriced, not exactly a fair price if you ask me.
  • Broonster
    peter413 wrote:
    Can you honestly say that being charged nearly a fiver for a toastie with some cheap coleslaw and two fillings is a fair deal?! The same with a baked potato, completely overpriced, not exactly a fair price if you ask me.

And the cost is going to be cheaper at the '5-star' facility? They spent thousands, if not millions, on the new centre and the costs associated with that, plus larger overheads, are going to have to be covered somehow. If you're expecting cheaper prices at the new place, I'd think again mate!
  • peter413
    Broonster wrote:
    peter413 wrote:

And the cost is going to be cheaper at the '5-star' facility? They spent thousands, if not millions, on the new centre and the costs associated with that, plus larger overheads, are going to have to be covered somehow. If you're expecting cheaper prices at the new place, I'd think again mate!

Apart from the fact the FC are covering the costs of the building since it is theirs
  • Broonster
    peter413 wrote:
    Broonster wrote:
    peter413 wrote:

Apart from the fact the FC are covering the costs of the building since it is theirs

Errr, and the new contract holders will therefore be leasing the property from who?! Got it, the FC. So the costs associated with the building will be reflected in the rent that's being charged i.e. it's likely to be a higher rent than what's being charged at 'portacabin village' across the road, which will have to be reflected in the contract holders food & drink prices no doubt.

At the end of the day, I'll probably be using the new facility. Personally, I don't mind paying more if it's reflected in the better facilities that are on offer. Hell, I'd much rather sit under a nice covered seating area to enjoy my post ride food & drink. However, equally, I think there is also a place for the current place that E&T are running. Choice is never a bad thing.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    I dont see the GT Hotel owners charging significantly, if anything, more than the hub already do...

Proof of the pudding and all that....

I don't think GT needs the new place and the existing Hub...

there are plenty of places near-by for food if folks don't like the new setup.

Choice already exists...
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Broonster
    cee wrote:
    I dont see the GT Hotel owners charging significantly, if anything, more than the hub already do...

Proof of the pudding and all that....

I don't think GT needs the new place and the existing Hub...

there are plenty of places near-by for food if folks don't like the new setup.

Choice already exists...

True. It's nice just to jump off the bike and into somewhere without having to get changed and drive there first though. Like I said, flasks and sandwiches.... :wink:
  • Northwind
    Apparently GT hotel's proposal stated they'll not increase prices. The new building costs are higher but then they should be able to get more throughput (the Hub's basic facilities and lack of seats and tables puts a lot of people off, they've always lost business at busy times) If prices stay the same but facilities improve, that's better value than expensive baked potatoes eaten in the rain on a wobbly chair.

The idea of competition on site, well, not sure there's really the traffic to support 2 succesful businesses and it'd end up dividing costs. Competition isn't always a good thing in a small market. Also, the bids for the new building (including the Hub's) were all based on sole occupancy so the cost planning will also be based on that- you certainly couldn't have 2 businesses on site without allowing the winning bidder to renegotiate and then it all goes tits up doesn't it. It's the sort of thing they should have proposed at day 1 instead of waiting til they've lost the monopoly to demand choice.

But for me the bottom line is that the Hub have pretty much destroyed their relationship with the FC, to expect to deal with them now is a bit off after the way they've behaved.

And all the talk of investment and improving the existing cafe- they've happilly allowed it to fall apart for years without even a hint of investment or maintenance, don't even know the last time it got a lick of paint... maybe if they'd looked after the business a bit better when they had the lease they'd have been in a better situation now but claiming "Yeah, we're all about the investment and improving facilities and more choice for customers" after so many years of no investment and ropey facilities and making money out of a captive audience, I can't take that seriously.

Which is a shame because they really have put a lot into it otherwise, they've got so much enthusiasm for riding in general, but it never seemed to convert into being very good cafe owners and they never seemed to have any desire to do more than they do. And I doubt that'd have been any different in the new building.

Anyway. Rant over ;)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Apparently GT hotel's proposal stated they'll not increase prices
    A lot of businesses say this an you can't blame them - they have no real experience. It's also funny what people will say to win something.

The easiest way to maintain a consistent retail price is to lower something else.
    Take your pick from:
    1. portion size
    2. quality of food.

Both undesirable to the consumer like a price rise.

A good read - provides more back story.
    http://www.lesleyriddoch.co.uk/2011/01/ ... uture.html
  • Northwind
    You can hardly say the Glentress Hotel has "no real experience".
    Uncompromising extremist
  • They have experience of running a hotel for sure.

Do they have experience of working on FC land as a cake and snack shop? Do they have the accumulated knowledge and cost base of the Hub?

They will probably do a great job of it but announcing they wont't increase prices is foolish at best and shows poor business skills at worst.
  • Northwind
    They've had plenty of time to investigate, and excellent knowledge of GT itself. Of course they lack the knowledge of the Hub, but then what use have E&T put that to really? I could understand the arguments about cost if the Hub weren't already expensive to eat at but their margins are plenty high already. I think their knowledge and experience is of running a small cafe fairly badly in the midst of a bigger audience than they knew what to do with, and of charging high prices for very little. Other than enormous cakes.

But this is just my 2c of course ;)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Some of these comments are ridiculous...

I just wonder what folk would feel like if the boot was on the other foot - to spend ten years of your life investing in a business and then have it taken away - don't pretend you wouldn't fight to the last to save it!? I guess 'grace' goes out the window at that point.

And to those who want to be told to take off their muddy shoes and shorts before tucking in to an overpriced Paninni on a shiny leather sofa - I think you might have missed the point of mountain biking. I for one would rather sit outside in December rather than be forced to sit indoors wearing only my pants...
  • Northwind
    Nick83 wrote:
    And to those who want to be told to take off their muddy shoes and shorts before tucking in to an overpriced Paninni on a shiny leather sofa - I think you might have missed the point of mountain biking. I for one would rather sit outside in December rather than be forced to sit indoors wearing only my pants...

Now that's the most ridiculous comment of all... Psychically knowing what the new facility will be like. Funnily enough this is exactly what people said- actually what people still believe- the CYB visitor's centre was going to be like. People who've never been still say they'll never go. But I've been, and they couldn't care less when you walk in covered in welsh mud even 5 minutes before closing, and the baked potato was cheaper than the hub... (actually the chicken tikka baked spud was cheaper than a hub cheese one- and not only that but they knew it was gluten free, the Hub seemed to think I was speaking in tongues) And excitingly, it had a roof and enough tables.

So I predict that you will be proved to be absolutely full of crap, and I look forward to your post admitting it in 6 months time.

(I will say though, the CYB visitor's centre isn't all that good, it's very pretty and nicely built but "Let's stick the bike shop down the back out of sight and make it tiny", aargh.. But the cafe's fine. And they have showers that aren't in a manky shed and the toilets always work.)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    Where has this 5-star talk come from? Was this just from someone posting it on this thread due to the new buildings looking a bit swanky?

There's no chance in this world that that building is going to be geared up for anything but muddy bikers. Hardly going to be possible to compare it to somewhere with posh silverware and fancy napkins.

I'm willing to bet it will continue the wood theme inside, easy to clean, very relaxed atmosphere and plenty of room to sit around, something like Fort William where they don't care how muddy you are.

I do feel sorry for Tracy and Emma as every time I've met them they seem really nice and very into GT & biking. Do agree that more could have been made of the cafe but it's always busy. Could've been a case of not realising there was a problem until a nice new development was created. Hopefully they manage to find some other biking business opportunities in the area.

At other trail centres (Kirroughtree) there are a lot more walkers, families and other people in the cafe as it's a nice little place to go with nice food. I think there is potentially a LOT more business available in the area by being able to seat more bikers and attracting other people too.

Really don't understand the petition thing though, there was a tender process, a different company won it in what seems to have been a fair process, case closed.
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • Steve_F wrote:
    Where has this 5-star talk come from? Was this just from someone posting it on this thread due to the new buildings looking a bit swanky?

There's no chance in this world that that building is going to be geared up for anything but muddy bikers. Hardly going to be possible to compare it to somewhere with posh silverware and fancy napkins.

I'm willing to bet it will continue the wood theme inside, easy to clean, very relaxed atmosphere and plenty of room to sit around, something like Fort William where they don't care how muddy you are.

I do feel sorry for Tracy and Emma as every time I've met them they seem really nice and very into GT & biking. Do agree that more could have been made of the cafe but it's always busy. Could've been a case of not realising there was a problem until a nice new development was created. Hopefully they manage to find some other biking business opportunities in the area.

At other trail centres (Kirroughtree) there are a lot more walkers, families and other people in the cafe as it's a nice little place to go with nice food. I think there is potentially a LOT more business available in the area by being able to seat more bikers and attracting other people too.

Really don't understand the petition thing though, there was a tender process, a different company won it in what seems to have been a fair process, case closed.
    Claire Bony of GT Restaurants Ltd added:

“Olivier and I are delighted to be offered the opportunity to be part of something as fantastic as the new Glentress Peel development.

“We are very much looking forward to working with Forestry Commission Scotland and the other site partners to create a 5-star visitor attraction, which can only be of benefit to the many users of the forest park and to our local community.”
  • I'm sure everyone's has seen it, but the facility does look as if it's going to be pretty decent, with a fairly huge covered area where, I'd imagine, tables & chairs will be situated for the 'muddy bikers' amongst us.

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/glentress