Removing a freewheel???

craker
craker Posts: 1,739
edited February 2011 in Workshop
Lots of videos and advice available obviously.

Two vids I've looked at (eg http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTfs3gEhgKo show the guy removing it with a tool and a large wrench. Why doesn't his freewheel just spin? Mine does.

I'm pretty sure its a freewheel. The tool I'm using is the twelve notched one that also fits the locknut of a shimano freehub cassette. If this cassette is in fact on a freehub, then tool + chainwhip + lots of leverage should loosen it. I ended up just taking teeth off the tool.

So either
* It's a freewheel & you don't use a whip
* It's a freehub and it's jammed solid.

Thanks for any advice. It's a 7 speed Shimano RSX from ~'93 by the way.[/url]

Comments

• Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    If its afreewheel then use the correct remover and a vice or adjustable wrench to hold it.Then use the wheel as leverage to unscrew the freewheel, going anti clockwise.
    If its a cassette wrap your chain whip around the cassette and hold it at 3 o'clock.Put your lock ring tool in the lock ring and use a large adjustable to undo it whilst keeping the chain whip under tension to stop it from turning.
    If you have ended up taking the teeth off the tool then it was A: a very poor quality tool or B:the wrong one.
    I'm pretty certain yuor hub was a cassette though.
    A can or Irnbrew should help you muscle up :wink:
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    The first he removes is a freewheel with wrench and tool. I have never tightened a frewheel up on the bikes I've replaced them on, the pedalling action does that for you. You bike will have a cassette so you need a chain whip, HG tool and wrench.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    got any pics?

but if it is a free wheel it can be a right bugger to shift and if it is the original......
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Spin the sprockets - if the top of the 'freewheel' remains static, then it is indeed a freewheel - however, if the whole thing spins then it's likely to be a cassette on a freehub. Some early cassettes didn't have a seperate lockring, but the top sprocket was the retainer - you need two chainwhips to remove. It sometimes takes two people, a big bench vice and serious effort to remove a freewheel - it's quite easy to shear the splines off a freewheel remover IME
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • ADIHEAD
    ADIHEAD Posts: 575
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Spin the sprockets - if the top of the 'freewheel' remains static, then it is indeed a freewheel - however, if the whole thing spins then it's likely to be a cassette on a freehub. Some early cassettes didn't have a seperate lockring, but the top sprocket was the retainer - you need two chainwhips to remove. It sometimes takes two people, a big bench vice and serious effort to remove a freewheel - it's quite easy to shear the splines off a freewheel remover IME

Exactly. I saw one guy suggest you use an HG remover, this won't work as it's not an HG cassette if it's from '93. This is perhaps why your shearing the splines off. I've only been riding since '06 so not encountered any non HG stuff until a mate bought his back wheel round and we couldn't get the cassette off. We tried with an old chain and a chainwhip but you really need 2 chainwhips unless you know a better technique than we did - quite possible there is one :oops:
  • craker
    P1090120.jpg
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    That is a cassette and you'll need an HG tool, chainwhip and long jussie.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Wappygixer
    We've had a few tight cassettes in the workshop.Normally use 2 people to do it.
    If it really is that tight take it to your LBS who will have some better tools than the average cyclist.
  • craker
    Well thanks go to the Giant shop in Bristol who charged me all of a packet of Maltesers to get the thing off.
  • Wappygixer
    mr_si wrote:
    Well thanks go to the Giant shop in Bristol who charged me all of a packet of Maltesers to get the thing off.

Giant shop? do you feel small looking around?? :wink:
    Glad it came off in the end