2010 S-Works Carbon Stumpjumper HT (18")

The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
edited March 2011 in Your mountain bikes
The new whip, the bike of my dreams.... it's cost close to £4k but as it's my only bike now, I don't care about the cost..

Pics up soon, I have all the parts, just need to get the carbon steerer cut by LBS and then away I go.

http://www.specializedconceptstore.co.u ... ON%20FRAME

Frame: S-Works SJ FACT 10M carbon, carbon drive and forged disc dropouts w/ disc mount and replaceable derailleur hanger (with KCNC BC Bolts)

Forks: Specialized Future Shock S90, 90mm travel, Brain Fade, rebound adj., single sided air spring and damper, carbon 1-1/8" to 1.5" steerer

Bars: KCNC 31.8mm OS SC Bone Scandium
Stem: KCNC 31.8mm OS SC-Wing stem with aftermarket Red Faceplate
Headset: 1-1/8" to 1.5" Threadless, Campy style, cartridge bearing
Grips: KCNC
Bar Ends: KCNC
Bar Plugs: KCNC

KCNC aheadset adjuster for carbon forks.

Front Brake Lever assy: Avid Elixir CR Carbon
Front Caliper: Avid Elixir CR Carbon
Front disc: 160mm Avid G3
Rear Brake Lever assy: Avid Elixir CR Carbon
Rear Caliper: Avid Elixir CR Carbon
Rear Disc: 160mm Avid G3
Hoses: Avid Standard

I shall be running the above with Avid Matchmakers

Shifters: SRAM X0
Cables: Goodridge Braided (white)
Front Mech: XTR M970
Rear Mech: SRAM X0 (with Ceramic KCNC Jockey wheels)

Seat: San Marco ASpide (Titanox rails – 150gr)
Seat Post: S-Works PAVE Carbon
Seat Post Clamp: S-Works

Cranks: XTR M970 with KCNC Chainring Bolts
Chainring(s): XTR
Chain: KMC X10sl Gold and Ti
Cassette: XTR
Pedals: 2011 Crank Brothers Eggbeater 2 (272gr)
Bottom Bracket: Custom Shimano BB-91, OS, press-in bearing

Other info. All the bolts/screws on this build are Titanium or Alluminium, none of that nasty rusty steel business... :wink:

Wheels: Shimano XTR M975 tubeless (centerlock, running KCNC 6-bolt adapters in red) I decided to go with these as I got a great deal, they run smooth and are more suited to my weight, plus I think they will match the black/red theme nicely....

This is the final spec/I now have all stuff in my possession, I am taking the frame and forks down to the LBS this week to have the carbon steerer professionally cut and fitted to the forks etc, Once back from there, shall commence the build :D 8)

I am waiting for some KCNC razor rotors to become available from Clee cycles (73g each)

Comments

• Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    Looking forward to this, no doubt it'll be a beauty going by your previous builds buddy :)

I should get some pics of my 'new' old lump on soon too.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    the big question is will it be ridden as intended?? :wink:
  • bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    forks with "brain fade"? tho nice brakes
  • ashleymp777
    ashleymp777 Posts: 1,212
    It'll be another shelf queen!
  • lawman wrote:

Will it hell!

That would reduce its value more than building a trailer queen!
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    lawman wrote:

Surprised this isnt in the for sale section yet. :P
  • ill still whip ya'll asses on it....... :wink:

anyway, its gonna be a corker........
  • lawman wrote:

Will it hell!

That would reduce its value more than building a trailer queen!

who pulled your chain pal?
    It'll be another shelf queen!

and yours!!!
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    ill still whip ya'll asses on it....... :wink:

anyway, its gonna be a corker........

i must admit, i was never a massive fan of the marin, nice bike, just not what i would go for if i wanted that kind off bike, if you keep this simple with red, black and white, you cant go far wrong :lol:
  • SDK2007
    SDK2007 Posts: 782
    Sounds pretty awesome - get some pics up.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Yep, true to form, because I enjoy it, I guarantee that on my scales that will not be sub-19. Sub 20 would surprise me. My Epic was 22, and every part was lighter, without exception that I can see. You're not saving 3lbs in the frame sadly. We ought to go for a ride, we're not far apart, I can weigh your bike and shut about that, and more importantly, we can see if you can ride it.

You should get some S-Works cranks (or Lightning - same thing), saves a chunk of weight and stops you having to use the crappy BB adapters Spesh never have stock of.

Be a nice build though, more appropriate wheels than the Marin ended up with!
  • SDK2007
    SDK2007 Posts: 782
    Those wheels look like they could be lighter, have you looked at other options?
  • did the marin not fit then?

the 17" stumpjumper is practically the exact tube sizes as the marin.
  • Intresting build. Always wanted to try out and build a Specialized bike. Maybe in the Autumn.
    I'm with njee20 on the crankest. I think you lose some potential of this frame using a BB adapter.
    S-Works cranks would be good choice and it will match the frame or even the Hollowgram SL, light and super stiff. They would both save you a ton of weight. Even a newer (BB30) crankset would be better.

Its good that you are building another bike. Must have been tough selling your others :(
    I think if I had to sell both mine it would kill me :D The amount of time, manpower, enjoyment and money that I've put into them.

Anyway looking forward to seeing it and seeing it get dirty :).........joke
    Happy times!!
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
    Cannondale Flash Ultimate 2010
    Cannondale Scalpel Factory Team 2010
    Cannondale Scalpel Factory Team 2009
  • njee20
    You can't fit bb30 cranks stupidly, the shell width is very slightly wider, you're basically stuck with the S-Works cranks.
  • njee20 wrote:
    You can't fit bb30 cranks stupidly, the shell width is very slightly wider, you're basically stuck with the S-Works cranks.

Hmmm....then S-Works crank it is :)
    I thought all Specialized frame where BB30? Guess I learn sometime today :)
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
  • njee20
    They are what Spesh call OSBB, 30mm axles, but a wider shell, so you can fit S-Works cranks to BB30 frames, but not vice versa, although there are some bodges around! There was talk it'd changed for 2011, I've not taken one apart yet though.
  • max丨mo
    max丨mo Posts: 177
    Have you considered the on-one carbon whippet and the £2,100 change in your pocket at all?
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    bloomin nora, did cheesey sleep with all of your wives or summat (for those of you who have managed to convince a bird to marry you of course) i know these threads welcome criticism by their very existance but you lot need to be less worried about a bike you will never see and a person you will most likely never meet.

:roll:
  • bloomin nora, did cheesey sleep with all of your wives or summat (for those of you who have managed to convince a bird to marry you of course) i know these threads welcome criticism by their very existance but you lot need to be less worried about a bike you will never see and a person you will most likely never meet.

Who is "you lot"? You should be more specific.
    Whats wrong with my comments? This is a MTB forum if I am correct? I am just sharing some views on his build and parts.
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    Xgreygoose wrote:
    bloomin nora, did cheesey sleep with all of your wives or summat (for those of you who have managed to convince a bird to marry you of course) i know these threads welcome criticism by their very existance but you lot need to be less worried about a bike you will never see and a person you will most likely never meet.

Whats wrong with my comments? This is a MTB forum if I am correct? I am just sharing some views on his build and parts.

dont be a drama queen, look at your comments, decide if they fit my comment, if not, keep your hair on.
  • Xgreygoose wrote:

dont be a drama queen, look at your comments, decide if they fit my comment, if not, keep your hair on.

Drama queen :lol: It should be the other way around.
    I know my comments are fine, but you should be more specific on who you are commenting on then just say "you lot". (To me that means everyone who has comment on this thread).
    No drama here mate just you. :lol: :roll:
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
  • Jesus, is it everyones time of the month or something? :roll:
    did the marin not fit then?

The Marin fitted fine, that's not why I sold it, this is a bike that I have always wanted, as nice as the Marin is/was. It doesn't compare to this (IMHO of course)
    Max|mo wrote:
    Have you considered the on-one carbon whippet and the £2,100 change in your pocket at all?

see above comment.

Re: cranks. I am going to stick with the XTR for the time being as I don't have the funds to change anything, this frame skinted me.. but out of curiosity, where can I get the S-Works cranks from?

I weigh 14 stone, have a lot of power in my legs, but in no sense am I a '10 stone-soaking-wet-rider' so I have to have, let's say, more robust kit. So some of the choices in my build reflect this.

TBH I don't care what the total weight is, all I know is that I will have the bike that I have always wanted, and it's now my only one.

njee20... of course I can ride it, been cycling for 20 odd years mate. And riding to a decent standard comes naturally, surely. It's not something I even think about.

The DT wheels are plenty good. Not the lightest, but look above at my weight, I would ruin anything to svelte. So may stick with the 340s. Im getting some ceramic bearings on the cheap direct from manufacturer, and the 36t upgrade kit. Will do me fine.
    did the marin not fit then?

The Marin fitted fine, that's not why I sold it, this is a bike that I have always wanted, as nice as the Marin is/was. It doesn't compare to this (IMHO of course).

Wasn't having a go!

Just wondering why you opted for the larger Spesh!

Re: cranks. I am going to stick with the XTR for the time being as I don't have the funds to change anything, this frame skinted me.. but out of curiosity, where can I get the S-Works cranks from?

You can try Specialized website HERE but this is in the USA. Maybe you could try/ask to get one from your Specialized LBS in the UK.

When is the frame coming?

Apologies for the off topic comments.
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
  • Xgreygoose wrote:
    Jesus, is it everyones time of the month or something? :roll:

You can try Specialized website HERE but this is in the USA. Maybe you could try/ask to get one from your Specialized LBS in the UK.

When is the frame coming?

Apologies for the off topic comments.

The frame turned up Friday, but I havent even had the opportunity to take it out of the box :cry:

Im also waiting for a shipment of KCNC parts to turn up and my package from CRC.
  • njee20
    The S-Works cranks are a nightmare to get hold of, which is why the Lightning branded ones can be a better bet if you choose to upgrade.

Did you get hold of the Razor rotors? They're cheaper on XCRacer if I recall, got a pair on the Trek, they seem good.

Feel free to put smilies in appropriate places to make my old post seem less hostile, was tongue in cheek.