OT What song, album or band defines your era?

tailwindhome
tailwindhome Posts: 18,925
edited January 2011 in Commuting chat
Just purchased my first MP3 player and starting the process of ripping the CD collection.

It's obvious that my 'new' music buying came to an abrupt end round about 2000 (age 26) and with the exception of the brilliant Gaslight Anthem anything bought since is just more 'old' stuff.

I obviously have an era which spans from 1985 to 2000. From 'Appetite for Destruction' to 'Definitely Maybe'

My defining album is xxxxxxxx.*

So what song, album or band defines your era?

*will come back later to fill this in.
“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    INXS, Dire Straits, Crowded House.

Ok, more than one and I may add to it later.

What's Gaslight Anthem?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Difficult to say really. Born in 1968 so hit my teenage years in the 80's ( new romantic sound versus punk ). When I started clubbing House followed by acid house was all the rage, a bit later trance came along.

I listen to everything from 4 track blues to the latest electro sounds.

Very difficult to put a given sound to my ( supposedly informative years ).

If it is a good example of the genre then I will listen to it.

Sorry I could not be of more help :oops:
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,925
    cjcp wrote:
    INXS, Dire Straits, Crowded House.

Ok, more than one and I may add to it later.

What's Gaslight Anthem?

Always with the Dire Straits

The Gas Light Anthem
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Nik Cube
    Nik Cube Posts: 311
    The The - Uncertian Feeling from Soul mining also from the same album This is the Day
    Fcn 5
    Cube attempt 2010
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Nik Cube wrote:
    The The - Uncertian Feeling from Soul mining also from the same album This is the Day
    Top choice. Matt Johnson, fecking great.
  • Nik Cube wrote:

Blimey, that brings back memories, I use to love that album. I vaguely recall that Jools Holland played the piano bit on Uncertain Feeling, I could be wrong though it was a long time ago.

PP

[edit] It was indeed Mr Holland but the track was Uncertain Smile. The track before it was "That Sinking Feeling". As I said, it was long time ago :)
    People that make generalisations are all morons.

Target free since 2011.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Nik Cube wrote:
    Top choice. Matt Johnson, fecking great.

well underrated.
    and they are still very current.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Band: New Model Army

Album: Thunder & Consolation

Song: The Charge

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MOCOmgJ9-g
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    richred_uk

sorry for me it is Green and Grey.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aaLr1FL ... re=related

on the Bus Trip back from work in Huddersfield to the Holme Valley every day.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:
    richred_uk

sorry for me it is Green and Grey.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aaLr1FL ... re=related

on the Bus Trip back from work in Huddersfield to the Holme Valley every day.

:( that makes me too upset having gone from Lancs to London for almost 20 years - feels like I'm the one being written to - at least I don't feel as guilty listening to the Charge
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WhhSBgd3KI

Pretty much sums up the era of my personal youth.
    FCN 3/5/9
  • Ooh quite eclectic: The Boomtown Rats was the first band I got into, 1st single bought was Rat Trap, I got into music with Ian Dury Madness, The Clash & The Specials in their pomp. I really went for The Housemartins too after Clash & Soecials went bang.

Always listened to a lot of blues & ska stuff

My era: 2 tone

Album probably just London 0 Hull 4 I was old enough to get the politics then that passed me by a bit with the Specials & Clash and that then sent me back to listen to the others with fresh ears.
  • Nik Cube
    Nik Cube Posts: 311
    Nik Cube wrote:

Blimey, that brings back memories, I use to love that album. I vaguely recall that Jools Holland played the piano bit on Uncertain Feeling, I could be wrong though it was a long time ago.

PP

[edit] It was indeed Mr Holland but the track was Uncertain Smile. The track before it was "That Sinking Feeling". As I said, it was long time ago :)

You are correct (my bad getting old memory) I had a listen to the album this morning followed by U2 the Joshua tree and then talk talk the colour of spring :)
    Fcn 5
    Cube attempt 2010
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    First single purchased was Golden Brown by the Stranglers, last purchase was the roller-skate song by Melanie from iTunes......

Hmm
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I used to go raving and most of the songs I love, very few people would recognise.

The most recognisable song would have to be Let Me Be Your Fantasy by Baby D. When it originally came out it was a very popular in the raves. A few years later it went mainstream and became known as a cheesy rave anthem but it still brings back great memories of the Hardcore scene.

There are many others from this era/scene, but most people wouldn't know them. You had to be there.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • I was at Uni in Manchester towards the end of the Madchester days, so I'll have to say Inspiral Carpets, Stone Roses, Happy Mondays and The Charlatans. That said, it was also the time that The Chemical Brothers and Oasis were starting out too.

Not bad, really.
  • EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I used to go raving and most of the songs I love, very few people would recognise.

The most recognisable song would have to be Let Me Be Your Fantasy by Baby D. When it originally came out it was a very popular in the raves. A few years later it went mainstream and became known as a cheesy rave anthem but it still brings back great memories of the Hardcore scene.

There are many others from this era/scene, but most people wouldn't know them. You had to be there.

You sound like a shut up & dance £10 to get in/Lamborghini or Ragga twins Hooligan 69 type person?

Very true you had to be there @ the time 8)
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Bands that sum up my era? Probably Nirvana and Oasis, bizarrely I never saw either. If I had to pick a couple of albums though that summarized my era (when I really loved music, and that I'll always keep coming back to) then:

Lemonheads - It's a shame about Ray
    Dinosaur Jr - Where you been?
    Afghan Whigs - Gentlemen

All of which I can VERY highly recommend.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    The bands that define my teenage years, Floyd, Hendrix, Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Whitesnake (the early stuff before you snigger), AC/DC, Black Sabbath, to name just a few. For some reason when I became a teenager (1985) me and most or my friends 'discovered' these bands and continued to collect and listen for several years. I'm still a massive Floyd fan and cannot wait to see the wall in may at the 02. Without giving it too much thought I would say all the albums in the top ten favorite albums were produced before I was 10 years old, some before I was even born and most were discoved 10 years or so after they were released. The wall for example I remember buying that aounr 1988 when it was already 9 years old. It also worth noting that the influence for these bands did not come from my or my firend's parents, mine at the time seemed to like Foster and Allen.

Bizzarre that the music that defind my teenage years was in fact 10 years old at the time.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Probably:

Sonic Youth
    Smashing Pumpkins
    Nirvana
    Early Red Hot Chili Peppers
    Janes Addiction
    Alice in Chains
    Jesus Jones
    Happy Mondays
    Stone Roses.

I *may* have been an indie rocker....
  • gtvlusso wrote:
    Probably:

Sonic Youth
    Smashing Pumpkins
    Nirvana
    Early Red Hot Chili Peppers
    Janes Addiction
    Alice in Chains
    Jesus Jones
    Happy Mondays
    Stone Roses.

I *may* have been an indie rocker....

And we *may* be about the same age. Old git.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I have strong memories of music from the age of about 10 in the early 80s, I remember dancing around the school playground to Duran Duran and Wham and I remember the plague of Karma Chameleon... EVERY child in my school seemed to want to sing it...

Dire Straits always reminds me of family holidays and days out, my parents always had it playing in the car. Paul Simon "Graceland" always brings back memories fo going somewhere in the family Ford Sierra too.... A few years later on I crashed the poor Sierra and wrote it off, aged about 19. I remember that at the time of the crash "Temple of Love" by Sisters of Mercy was playing...

I remember rediscovering Depeche Mode in the late 80s or early 90s when they brought out Violator. I started to go gothic at that time. Loved all the black gear, I had a long black "duster" coat and black boots. Listened to a lot of Mute and Factory label music. Got a bit sick of people calling me Batman though and moved away from all that...

As a student I got into the revival of Acid Jazz and all that 70s stuff but also liked Nirvana and all the indy stuff that emerged at that time

Since then I've got older and my music tastes have varied, I don't find music defines moments anymore... I think I've lost my way a bit.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    The thought that my era may be over is terrifying!
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    "Temple of Love" by Sisters of Mercy was playing...

Good tune, very fast 160BPM, good for driving too, or not....
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,607
    Dire Straits always reminds me of family holidays and days out, my parents always had it playing in the car. Paul Simon "Graceland" always brings back memories fo going somewhere in the family Ford Sierra too....

I think this was regulation issue for '80s parents, although for me it was a Vauxhall Cavalier or a Talbot Horizon. Mark Knopfler was on BBC4 on Friday night and I had a good hour for wallowing in nostalgia.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    rjsterry wrote:
    Dire Straits always reminds me of family holidays and days out, my parents always had it playing in the car. Paul Simon "Graceland" always brings back memories fo going somewhere in the family Ford Sierra too....

I think this was regulation issue for '80s parents, although for me it was a Vauxhall Cavalier or a Talbot Horizon. Mark Knopfler was on BBC4 on Friday night and I had a good hour for wallowing in nostalgia.
    This plus many.

gtv's list sounds about right (although never much a Mondays or Roses fan). I had a ticket for Nirvana but Kurt killed himself about a month before the gig was due...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Sketchley wrote:
    "Temple of Love" by Sisters of Mercy was playing...

Good tune, very fast 160BPM, good for driving too, or not....

Jesus Bulit My Hotrod (Ministry) not so good. :oops:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    The Queen is Dead - The Smiths
    This Nation's Saving Grace - The Fall
    Low Life - New Order

I may well have grown up in Manchester. :D

These three were on pretty much constant rotation when I first started showing a proper interest in music rather than just hearing stuff on the radio/what my parents or sister were playing. Husker Du - Candy Apple Grey should get a mention here too.

Then it was all about 12" singles as my 'rave era' started. Way too many to mention. Kinda stopped buying LPs then, although Massive Attack's Blue Lines was a notable exception.

I don't see my era as being over, though. Despite being over 40. There's still loads of stuff out there that piques the interest.
  • owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    Cream
    Pink Floyd
    Procul Harum (Whiter Shade of Pale for those that had forgotten)
    Bob Dylan
    Yes
    Leonard Cohen
    Deep Purple
    Lynyrd Skynyrd
    Steeley Dan
    Dire Straits
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    JonGinge wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

This plus many.

gtv's list sounds about right (although never much a Mondays or Roses fan). I had a ticket for Nirvana but Kurt killed himself about a month before the gig was due...

Sh!t... Did you get your money back?
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.