Fitting new rear derailleur

navrig
navrig Posts: 1,352
edited January 2011 in Workshop
I have a new Tiagra rear coming to replace the twisted one I am currently using.

To fit it should I split the chain or remove the jockey wheels?

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Comments

• geebee2
    geebee2 Posts: 248
    I put a new RD on recently, remove the Jockey wheels seemed easier to me.

I clean and regrease jockey wheels quite regularly, so something you need to know how anyway.

Make sure you don't get them mixed up ( they are not identical ).
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Split the chain reconnect it with a quick link.

Reconstructing a brand new mech around a chain would be foolhardy imho. Bloody difficult too.
  • ADIHEAD
    ADIHEAD Posts: 575
    mr_si wrote:
    Split the chain reconnect it with a quick link.

Reconstructing a brand new mech around a chain would be foolhardy imho. Bloody difficult too.

+ 1 but remember to remove a link before adding a quick link, or you're making the chain longer :wink: Unless you already have a quick link fitted of course?
  • geebee2
    geebee2 Posts: 248

Nah, really it's very easy. It's a standard cleaning operation, although for cleaning you usually only remove 1 jockey wheel at a time.

I don't like messing with chains if avoidable, if they fail can be very nasty.
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    geebee2 wrote:

I don't like messing with chains if avoidable, if they fail can be very nasty.

That was my thinking and hence thoughts on the jockey wheels.

I suppose by splitting the chain I can give it a thorough clean.