ultegra 6700

philip white
philip white Posts: 5
edited January 2011 in Workshop
does anyone know if you can run an ultegra 6700 rear derailleur with a 9 speed cassette, befor i fitted it the guy in the shop said it would be fine but since fitting it i cant seen to set my rear gears right, some gears have a little click and are not as smooth as they should be, any ideas from anyone ?

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    edited January 2011
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Yes, the mech is dumb so to speak and will shift on 8,9 or 10 speed cassette. Only the capacity of the mech might be the issue, you are using a close ratio road cassette?
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • i am using a ultegra 6600 9 speed cassette, it hard to explane what its doing, in 2nd the chain is clicking and the cable need less tension and in 8 th its clicking and need more tension, as if the derailleur is traveling more than the cassette
  • ADIHEAD
    ADIHEAD Posts: 575
    Sounds like the mechanic didn't index it properly? Have you tried re-indexing?
  • Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    6700 is slightly different in Shimano terms.They claim that unless you use a full 6700 drive chain you will not get an "A" rated set up.
    This aside though it should still be ok.
    How old are you cables?
  • How do you re index it?, the inner cables are new didn't change the outer, I've been looking at the 6600 model and that says its compatible with 8 9 and 10 speed but 6700 only says 10 speed, but I thought it could only move es much as the shifter let's it, another thing iv been told is the 6700 sits at a slightly different angle
  • ADIHEAD
    ADIHEAD Posts: 575
    How do you re index it?, the inner cables are new didn't change the outer, I've been looking at the 6600 model and that says its compatible with 8 9 and 10 speed but 6700 only says 10 speed, but I thought it could only move es much as the shifter let's it, another thing iv been told is the 6700 sits at a slightly different angle

This link shows you how to index, it's really easy to follow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzvfCaIbyQ

I have a 6600, a 6600SL and a 6700 and I've swapped them between bikes without issues. I believe the main difference with the 6700 is it's got a slightly longer cage to run the new 11/28 cassettes. I'm using my 6700 rear mech with 6600 components anyway. If you've still got problems after re-indexing then just take it back to the bike stop that set it up for you hey?
  • Richa1181
    Richa1181 Posts: 177
    I used mine on a 9spd for a while before I upgraded my shifters to Ultegra 10spd. Never had any problems at all.. I'd get your shifter looked at rather than try to put any blame on the mech. As redvee says, it's dumb and only does what it's told, problem has to lie with cabling or shifter..
  • I think I'm gonna take it back to the shop, I put my old tiagra back on yesterday, it set up no probs and runs perfect, I've been told the ultegra 6700 hangs at a different angle so it could effect shifting.
  • Wappygixer wrote:
    6700 is slightly different in Shimano terms.They claim that unless you use a full 6700 drive chain you will not get an "A" rated set up.
    This aside though it should still be ok.

^^ this ^^

I have been using Chorus 10 speed levers with a 6700 drivetrain for the last 500 miles- long story, don't ask, and will be remedied soon. However, it does "work" albeit with a few compromises in shift quality and missed changes occasionally.