Planet X model B rear wheel bearings

mcrdave
mcrdave Posts: 501
edited November 2011 in Workshop
My rear has developed lateral play in the bearings, have spoke to Planet X, they have said the bearings are replaceable and can be bought from ebay but I'd need to get in touch with there workshop re. correct bearings. Have left them a message but heard nothing back as of yet.

Just wondered if anyone else changed them and if so, what are the correct bearings to buy.

ta guys.

Comments

• PK1
    PK1 Posts: 193
    Mine has developed the fault too. Planet x not very helpful here. Any advise on how to replace / fix please.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    If cartridge, just pop them out (tap out) and you usually have a number stamped on them.

Just chase PX for the reference if you don't want to disassemble first.
  • mcrdave
    Hi. This is where I'm upto. Numerous emails to planet x enquiring the model number of the bearings. Normally takes 2 days to get a reply. They've replied and said they don't know the model numbers (even though they've told me where they order them from!?). So they've said I have to disassemble the wheels to find out (which I can't because using them daily). Can't believe they don't know the right bearings to order and am not chucking a year old wheel in the bin. Not great service .
  • mcrdave
    They also said to disassemble you need 2 5mm Allen keys one in each side to undo the hub. This doesn't work as only one side has Allen fitting, the other is round.
  • bondurant
    bondurant Posts: 858
    Bearings: you'll need one of these: 6001 2RS and one of these: 6901 2RS. Bike-parts.at-cost.org do them. You'll also need:
    - cone wrench
    - allen key
    - wooden mallet
    - sockets or similar cylindrical tube that you can use to tap out the bearings (basically that matches the outer circumference of the bearings) and replace with new ones.

Once the freehub is removed (just pulls off), tap out the axle. This takes out a bearing with it if memory serves, then you take the hub shell with one bearing left in it and use an appropriate socket to tap that out too. Then reverse the process. You'll wreck the old bearings taking them off if you're anything like me.

I think that's right - I did this a few months ago. Worked fine.
  • mcrdave
    Wow! Thanks so much for that, you've told us everything I needed to know, why couldn't planet x manage this (you don't work for them do you!?). That's invaluable info mate and will keep my wheels rolling. Will let you know how I get on. Cheers dave
  • bondurant
    My exalted status meant that they did get round to replying to me...or I got lucky. One of the two.

I hope you get on OK with it. Even if I didn't remember everything 100%, the hubs are very simple, so it should be clear what needs to be done once you have the freehub off.

Just found this actually - should help you out: http://www.novatec.com.tw/novatec/english/p_show.php?sid=55. This is the Model B rear hub. There's an exploded diagram linked to on the page.
  • mcrdave
    Fantastic! I do love the BR forum sometimes.

I have ordered the bearings and a cone spanner and will let you know how I get on.

By the way, I used 'the bearing king' site for the bearings as they were a bit cheaper but then I ebay'd them and they're cheaper still ah well, only a couple of quid but useful to know.

Cheers again
    Dave
  • mcrdave
    One more question (sorry!).

Dont suppose you remember what size cone spanner you used?

Have ordered 13, 14 15 16 but got a feeling I'll need a 17 looking at that exploded diagram.

Thanks (one last time!)
  • bondurant
    Hello - yeah, I think it is a 17mm. I'll check for sure this morning before I go out and get back to you this afternoon.
  • bondurant
    It's 17mm you need
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Sounds pretty much solved, but the process should be similar to doing a Hope Hub by the sounds of it, so here's a video that might be useful - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdgUvv76 ... re=related
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • PK1
    The exploded diagram shows 3 X 6901 and 1 X 6001.

This is getting an expensive repair !!
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/advanced_search_result.php?sort=2a&search_in_description=0&keywords=6901&x=0&y=0

I'd just do the axle bearings for the time being if I were you. The freehub bearings only come into play whilst freewheeling anyway.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • PK1
    Thanks for the advice, ordered 2 X 6901 from simply bearings.
  • To do the axle, you need one 6901 and one 6001.
  • mcrdave
    Just done mine... and it was easy! Relatively anyway. Exactly as described above but in the end I only replaced the outer non drive side bearing as I could tell it was rusty, loose, you name it, it was knackered. The one in the centre felt smooth and looked pretty well hidden away from the elements so left it alone. The seal on the outer is pretty poor so added a load of grease to help prevent it happening again.

Thanks again for the assistance forum people, am back up and running again, smoothly (and cheaply).

Here was the offending bearing

IMG_0223.jpg
  • PK1
    Easy if you like hammering things. The centre bearing would not come out or go in straight without giving it some welly. I just hope I haven't damaged it. Yes the non drive one was easier. Test ride tonight !!
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I think the bearings in the freehub body on my Model B hub have seized. Only done a few hundred miles and hasn't been used since November. Are these replaceable or do I need a new freehub body? If I need a freehub body does anyone know where I can get one as P-X are out of stock?
    More problems but still living....
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Mine are fine so far riding over a year old. touch wood ......
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Mine are fine so far riding over a year old. touch wood ......

I'm pleased for you, but that doesn't help me at all.
    More problems but still living....
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    No of course it doesn't. Wasn't trying to be facetious. Hope you get it sorted.

Just surprised they've gone so soon.
  • desweller
    Bumping this thread to let people know that the Pro-Lite Allein wheel uses the same freehub body as the Model B - available from Chain Reaction.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • mzm70
    mzm70 Posts: 123
    Thanks Des
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    I tried to remove my bearings this morning, gave up in the end as I assumed that they must be seized into the body, any more force and i'd have damaged to open pro rims.

looks like i'm going to have to unlace the spokes and find a same size replacement hub.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • desweller
    ITB, which bearings are you trying to remove, the freehub or the hub? There are two bearings in the hub and two bearings in the freehub body.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Has anyone managed to change the bearings in the freehub? I can't get them out for love nor money (there's nothing to hit, the inside is smooth) - mind you that freehub from CRC is only a little more than a new set of SKF bearings anyway so maybe I should just get that!

(Bloody hop-e it's the freehub bearings - fed up with the chaingang all staring at the wheel cos it's making such a horrible noise when I pedal!)

And why is that freehub body GBP30 when the Planet X one is 44?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • desweller
    Yes, I have. There's a circlip within the freehub that you have to remove. IIRC you'll need a pin punch to knock out the outer bearing, then you can get to the circlip.

It's not very easy and you'll probably destroy the bearings during removal.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Hmm, that sounds complicated, Not sure it's not easier to just get a new freehub (if I can find one for GBP20 or Planet-X sort out the website (?GBP40, that's the same price as the whole hub!!)

Having had a play around I think it might be the bloody BB, which means I ve ruined some bearings for nothing :twisted:
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • tomkidd
    tomkidd Posts: 19
    ddraver wrote:
    Hmm, that sounds complicated, Not sure it's not easier to just get a new freehub (if I can find one for GBP20 or Planet-X sort out the website (?GBP40, that's the same price as the whole hub!!)

Having had a play around I think it might be the bloody BB, which means I ve ruined some bearings for nothing :twisted:

Did you ever find out what the noise was? I'm having similar issues which I thought might be my BB