Pressure

Jackmyster001
Jackmyster001 Posts: 86
edited January 2011 in MTB general
Hi guys
I just purchased a rockshox reba sl 2010 fork.

I am 15 and I am new to air pressure forks. Can anyone tell me what happens if I increase the air pressure and decrese the air pressure. Also what is the best rebound setting.... Cheers.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Please read the FAQs, all in there.

Also look in the manual.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Hi guys
    I just purchased a rockshox reba sl 2010 fork.

I am 15 and I am new to air pressure forks.

Happy Birthday.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Big mistake. You will now be 15 forever.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    increase positive air will set the sag (how much the forks move when you sit on them) - you want them to move approx 20-30% depending on your riding style (20% for hardcore XC where every effort is crucial, a bit more for more sedentary trail riding) - However another good guide is that you want to max the travel once on every ride

negative air essentially helps pull the fork down and thereby aids small bump movement - putting the equal amount of air in (as RS recommend) will give quite a firm feel - TFTuned recommend putting 5-10psi more in to increase small bump sensitivity

Rebound damping controls how quickly the fork springs back - more snail will make it slower which will mean the fork will feel soft - but if the fork packs down through multiple hits (e.g. lots of rocks/roots) then it will rapidly run out of travel - a guide is to compress the fork and see if you can pull the front wheel off the floor before the fork extends fully - however this is a very vague guide indeed - try simulating small bumps and getting a good balance - it's not easy though - i rode for a long time with this completely up the spout and when someone else noticed and put it right it was like riding a whole new bike!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver