Recommendations - Nottingham Routes

birch1983
birch1983 Posts: 124
edited February 2011 in Routes
I'm relatively new to mountain biking and would like to try something a little different as I usually end up on canal towpaths when cyclling with friends. This weekend we fancy doing something a little different.

I am looking to find a reasonably challenging off-road route in the Nottingham area. I wondered if anyone could recommend any good routes of between 10-20 miles?

Thanks in anticipation of your responses.

Comments

• Depends where abouts in Nottingham you are. Sherwood pines is the obvious choice. However there is some good riding to be had near shipley park in Ilkeston.
  • birch1983
    I am actually in Long Eaton.

I've managed to find details for Sherwood pines but I'm not sure if my friend wishes to travel that far when we have only just got into mountain biking.

Would you have a link/directions for the Shipley Park one as I could always ride there?
  • you could actually bike to shipley park from long eaton on the nutbrook trail which starts next to the asda store in town.done this route myself ,all offroad leisurley ride but didn t explore shipley itself as we did quick turn around.must get up to shipley for a look though.by the way would deffo recommend sherwood pines,green,blue and red trails and more to have a cracking day out.
  • Get out in the peaks! You'll progress alot quick and its far more challenging and fun!

PM me if you need any advise on routes but a quick google search should chuck enough up for you.

go ride!
  • birch1983
    @atomicfox - Thanks for the pointers. I wouldn't mind heading out towards Shipley to see what the area has to offer. If your thinking of going that direction one weekend, please give me a shout if you don't mind a tag-a long. Are you over the Long Eaton way?

PS: I took the bike to Sherwood Pines in the end. I WILL BE GOING BACK.

Thanks for all the replies!
  • Sherwood pines again this weekend. If anyone has any other locations that are worth having a look at please let me know!
  • There's a 20 miler that goes out behind Asda > Toton > Bramcote Woods > Hemlock > Cossal >Baloon woods then back up to the woods and back in the way you left. Good fitness but flat route is out along the Trent to Vic embankment round through the canalside development & back again. Quite a few routes out of Cromford and Ambergate is good before the ferns get too high, then there's the Peaks (Ladybower is 1 hr 20 mins away), Cannock, a few local routes in North Leicestershire (Whitwick, Cademan woods) & Ticknall (SW Derbyshire). You'll need to drive for decent stuff but there's enough to fill a morning without going too far afield.