Upgrade or new bike?

matt.rochfort
matt.rochfort Posts: 147
edited January 2011 in Road buying advice
Currently riding a 2 year old CAAD 9 with full ultegra sl and ultegra tubeless wheels.

Thinking of either:

Upgrading wheels to Dura ace 7850cl, new 6700 levers, and a carbon post and stem - cost about £750

or

selling CAAD and buying a Canyon Ultimate CF or Al with Dura ace group set and mavic/citec wheels for around £1800 to £2000.

Any views?

Comments

• CAAD9 is a good bike, so if your happy with it then stick with it, upgrade, and save yourself some pennies to spend on a training camp or something.
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I put lighter wheels on my CAAD5 and it feels like a new bike! I've no desire to upgrade the frame or anything else. I'd stick with your CAAD9.

Only think I might do is keep and eye on ebay for a bargain used Cannondale Six carbon.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Of the proposed upgrades i don't think a carbon stem or 6700 levers are worthwhile. No performance upgrades. Pretty much aesthetic value only.

As said above, CAAD9's are decent frames.
  • thinking of aesthetics for the levers to tidy up the front of bike, anyway right hand sti badly scuffed in minor off!
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Save some more money and buy another bike, you can never have enough :D