No Liege or Worlds for Evans.

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 72,215
edited January 2011 in Pro race
*yawn yawn yawn*

http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/01/ ... ket_157303

Guess what race he's focussing on?

I bet he figures sans Contador it's winnable.

Comments

• pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    Why not, I suppose?
    Although, I would still put him down the pecking order behind the likes of Schleck (x2), and Basso. I feel sorry for Menchov - really not fair to exclude him, as he woudl be right up there with the favourites. Also, the likes of Sanchez, Gessink, JvdB all still improving.
    Fear he may have missed the boat on his TdF dream.
  • rick_chasey
    Why not, I suppose?

Because he'll never be top 3 in the podium, and he gets all the respect from pundits and fans (granted, not TdF only guys) from being the old skool - races everything bloke.

His best results recently have been one-dayers too!
  • I really like Evans as a rider. He's definitely got grit and determination. However it's time he realises that his Tour winning days are gone. It's a shame that he's decided to ignore the classics to concentrate on a race he won't win.
    Bikes... How many is too many?
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I think people are writing him off a bit quickly - no doubt similar things would have been said about Sastre's chances and if anyone had money on Pereiro they must have had a crystal ball.

He'll be 34 so by no means over the hill - OK maybe just starting on the descent - so why not give it a go. He's probably financially secure and like he says he wants to know he gave it his best shot - he doesn't want to live with what if.

Schleck without Riis - new team, going into it as favourite for the first time - no guarantees there - and who else is there you'd say they'd definitely beat an on form Evans ? I think it's looking open.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    It'll be a shame to see him not racing in some of the classics.

please please please please win the TdF Evans
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Evans should do what Evans wants to do, not what we think he should do.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    He did the Worlds jersey proud last year, trying to win just about everything he was in. I think he's earned the right to have a Tour specific year. In 2008 I probably wanted anyone but him to win, this year I'd be happy to see him win it. As others have said, stranger things have happened.

It's certainly more believable than seeing Wiggins take it (no offence to him).

Perhaps if we get a ratified plasticizers test the competition may get a little closer at the sharp end of the race.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Why not, I suppose?

Because he'll never be top 3 in the podium, and he gets all the respect from pundits and fans (granted, not TdF only guys) from being the old skool - races everything bloke.

3 Better GT riders starting the Tour in '11?

Who?

Strava is not Zen.
  • rick_chasey
    calvjones wrote:
    Why not, I suppose?

Who?

Schleck, Schleck, Basso.
  • He did say that the TdF was a long term target when he joined the BMC team, so the current Contador situation is unlikely to have been much of an influence on this decision. More likely it was the experience of riding last year's campaign, especially the Giro ahead of the Tour.
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    With no Contador, 2011 TdF will be an open race and Evans himself will realise that he may not have any further realistic chances of winning it after 2011. He has earned the right to choose his own schedule to give him his best chance. Go Cadel go!!!
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Yeah, I was a Cadel "hater" until last year, where his commitment and racing attitude totally won me around. I think he's got a v good GT in him, with a focused year and a few lashings of good luck and BMC racing better this year - he's got a chance...
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    Why not, I suppose?

Harsh. I think you'll find Cadel has finished on the podium at the Tour, which is more than Schleck (F) has ever done. I agree he's an outsider these days, but to dismiss him with such scorn is undeserved.
  • rick_chasey
    Why not, I suppose?

Harsh. I think you'll find Cadel has finished on the podium at the Tour, which is more than Schleck (F) has ever done. I agree he's an outsider these days, but to dismiss him with such scorn is undeserved.

Disagree. His recent GT performances don't really show him as a genuine contender, especially with the lack of TT kms in any of the GTs this year.

I rate him a lot, but not as a TdF winner.
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    Why not, I suppose?

Disagree. His recent GT performances don't really show him as a genuine contender, especially with the lack of TT kms in any of the GTs this year.

I rate him a lot, but not as a TdF winner.

Agree. Evans obviously sees a chance whilst AC is sin binned and who can blame him but no I just cannot see it. He had his shot in 2008 and could not even get the better of Sastre so I fail to see him beat Schleck or Basso for that matter.
    Would be funny (and not impossible) if VdB beat him too after all the whining about Lotto that Evans did.
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    calvjones wrote:

Who?

Schleck, Schleck, Basso.

Frank Schleck? Have you borrowed some of Tom's stash, Rick?

Evans has finished on the podium twice in the Tour, behind a convicted drug cheat on one occasion, Frank's best finish is 5th.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Evans has also finished on the podium in the Vuelta, and top 5 in the Giro.

I'd say Evans has a very strong chance of getting on the podium, most likely behind Andy Schleck and Ivan Basso though. To suggest that Frank Schleck is a better stage racer over 3 weeks than Evans is ridiculous, based on the evidence of the last 5 years.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • rick_chasey
    andyp wrote:
    calvjones wrote:

Who?

Schleck, Schleck, Basso.

Evans has finished on the podium twice in the Tour, behind a convicted drug cheat on one occasion, Frank's best finish is 5th.

Given the lack of TT kms, I'd back Frank over Evans.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    andyp wrote:
    calvjones wrote:

Who?

Schleck, Schleck, Basso.

Given the lack of TT kms, I'd back Frank over Evans.

Evans is not exactly a shit climber though is he. I know he looks horrible when climbing, but he stayed on Basso's wheel longer than anyone else on the Zoncolan stage in the 2010 Giro. I can see Frank taking time out of Evans on a serious mountain top finish...but not that much.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    andyp wrote:
    calvjones wrote:

Who?

Schleck, Schleck, Basso.

Plus 2nd in Vuelta behind a convicted drug cheat. How did Frank do last year? 4th?

Strava is not Zen.
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    You forget he's got that Aussie grit. They don't winge they get on with it, broken fingers, broken jaws and in Evan's case broken elbow. Anyway everyone elsecould fall off. :)
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • rick_chasey
    Excellent. A genuine disagreement over racing!

Shall we stick our necks out and make a prediction about Frank Scleck's position vs Evan's in GC at the Tour now?

Can revive the thread come late July..
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,207
    I think he may surprise a few people. If he is targetting his training he stands every chance of competing for yellow and I hope he wins it. Remember that last year he rode injured for much of the race and as someone else said he isn't a bad climber especially as in the absence of Bertie there is unlikely to be anyone of the contenders who will race agressively in the mountains.
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    Evans will finish top 5, and possibly on podium.

You can't really consider his performance at the 09 TdF. How many Giro from runners had a good Tour?

And the year before? Well he had the poops up all race.

Provided he can keep his still very temperamental attitude in check his program will put him in good stead for another strong showing.
  • rick_chasey
    OK here's my prediction with a caveat.

Frank will be on the podium, and Cadel Evans won't be, as long as Menchov doesn't get a ride elsewhere, in which case, they both will be off the podium.