Soldier's mobile phone call story.

Aggieboy
Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
edited January 2011 in The bottom bracket
Anyone else heard this and seen it all over the TV etc?

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/853708-soldier-leaves-voicemail-marriage-proposal-on-wrong-girls-phone

TBH I feel a bit uneasy about it. Obviously a very personal call and he's very upset, pouring his heart out about losing a fellow soldier and proposing to his girlfriend. Unfortunately, it was all sent to the voice mail of a wrong number. I just feel that the person that received the message should have passed the message to the appropriate authorities in order to identify him and his girlfriend, and not all over the press.

I dunno, maybe it's just me. I'm ill and have lost 5lb since Friday and maybe feeling over emotional :cry::wink:
"There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."

Comments

• brin
    brin Posts: 1,122
    I missed it on local news last night, altho the presenters were genuinely touched by it and made an appeal for the intended receiver or some one who may know her to come froward.
    It is being discussed on Jeremy Vine this dinner time, he did mention it could (slightly) be a hoax in which case it sounds in very bad taste
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I do hope it's real and that the intended girl gets the message.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I heard the VM on the news and did get a very uneasy feeling about listening in to someone's very private conversation. I think that playing the VM is in bad taste but having heard it, it does sound very genuine. Let's hope the message gets to the right girl and she says yes, I love a good wedding.
  • Fat Head
    Fat Head Posts: 765
    Gutter press.
  • Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    Why did she not just text back "sorry mate wrong number"
    Also, would he not have had her number stored in his mobile?
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 358
    TBH i'm of the opinion the woman has done the right thing,

The MOD would most likely not be the slightest bit interested in trying to find 'samantha' whereas the press will get involved quite happily as it will sell papers and reach a far more members of public.
    FCN 7

FCN 4

if you use irrational measures to measure me, expect me to behave irrationally to measure up
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    "A faint aroma of performing seals"?
    The older I get the faster I was
  • Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    Stanley222 wrote:
    Homer J wrote:
    Why did she not just text back "sorry mate wrong number"
    Also, would he not have had her number stored in his mobile?

If the soldier is Afghan then he has far too much to carry and worry about than a mobile phone in his pocket!!! He is at war - do you think they carry their iPhones or Blackberrys in their pockets and send messages in between dodging incoming rounds?!!
    A mobile phone can set off an unexploded bomb so somebody sending a text would not work - most calls are made at base by secure telephone or satellite phone :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

:lol: not allowed outside the camp on patrol.
  • Ollieda
    Ollieda Posts: 1,010
    I'm pretty certain those on ops in afghan can't take mobiles out with them for communication security reasons.

Rule might be different now.
  • FYI.
    no mobiles aloud in Theatre(Afghan), so if the bloke did use his phone he is in trouble anyway. As the comms traffics is routed through not so friendly countries
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    ...or the cinema (Cheltenam)
  • Mobiles were allowed for support staff in Iraq and I think also in Afghanistan. Vodaphone was the preferred network in Iraq.
  • from what i understand and from what i read, the phone call was made to a land line phone somewhere in the newcastle area (i think i am right), there was no one home and so was left on voice mail/answer machine (didnt mention which).

it should be possible to access phone records to check number of incoming caller and from location /country.

i personally think its a hoax but would love to be proved wrong
  • story in the metro said that he made the call from a base phone and couldn't make another one for a month.

comment from military personnel asked about the story doubted that bit at least/

I hope its a genuine story, but you never know, some odd ways people get their kicks - could have been someone pranking the recipient and its all blown up huge.