Shin Splints after riding?

Simonb256
Simonb256 Posts: 880
edited September 2017 in Training, fitness and health
I have made an appointment to see my sports physio to help sort it out. However I'm concerned as to how I managed to get into such a state.

I did a half century on my singlespeed road bike over the weekend (2800ft climbing), on 49x16, which is quite high for some of the hills (there was a couple of 10%'s). The following day I got terrible shin splints, which are still bad enough that I'm struggling to walk.

I presume that this is down to pedalling technique? too much of a toe down stroke, or going a bit ott on the up stroke?

Essentially the question is: What am I doing wrong to get shin splints?
"War is Peace; Freedom is Slavery; Ignorance is Strength." George Orwell - 1984

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    This is a wind up, right?

If not, I'd suggest getting some gears or avoid 10% hills.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    keef66 wrote:

I ride up 10% hills all the time on fixed and don't get shin splints.

I'd suggest something is up with the OPs bike set-up that needs to be addressed.
    More problems but still living....
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    I thought shin splints were more of a high impact issue, I am suprised you can get them from cycling.

Maybe try some stretches or self massage (which from personal experiance of shin splints through running, hurts like hell) of the area.
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    Yes! I got something like shin splints the first time I really upped my cadence over more than just a few minutes - the muscles involved lift the toes in both running and cycling so I can imagine lots of high cadence on your single speed would have caused this. It will pass - gentle massage and some ibuprufen gel helps!
  • Simonb256
    keef66 wrote:

Why would it be a wind up? The specific hill wasnt 10% the whole time but it was in places. Its just on the way out of Bridgnorth and signed as 10%. It was a major struggle but I made it slowly.
    amaferanga wrote:

I ride up 10% hills all the time on fixed and don't get shin splints.

I'd suggest something is up with the OPs bike set-up that needs to be addressed.

Quite possibly, it has a v short top tube and the saddle height is probably not quite right. Im guesing it doesnt help that feet are pronated.
    Yes! I got something like shin splints the first time I really upped my cadence over more than just a few minutes - the muscles involved lift the toes in both running and cycling so I can imagine lots of high cadence on your single speed would have caused this. It will pass - gentle massage and some ibuprufen gel helps!

My cadence isn't phenomenal, it's around 100/120 at a comfortable pace. A lot slower on the ups, but I have to have a good run up to get myself started on big hills

Im hopefully seeing Sports physio for massage and for various reasons I cant take over the counter pain relief (Ibuprufen, aspirin, and co). So it is being sorted, Im just trying to find the cause.
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    100/120 is a comfortable cadence?, christ
  • Simonb256
    danowat wrote:
    100/120 is a comfortable cadence?, christ

I spend a lot of time on the rollers when the weathers bad, local track atleast once a week and Im doing circa 200miles per week currently all Singlespeed (freewheel currently, once it hits spring/summer I can switch back to fixed for track and roller session, I really dislike riding road fixed).

I do like to spin rather than bashing the pedals, but I dont always have the choice whilst on SS.
    I don't expect to get decent times etc SS, but Im happy with my sub 30min 10mile (relativly flat 10mile though).

Still chasing sport injury people, everyone seems to be fully booked or unavailable until mid next week.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Christ, I struggle a bit up 10% hills on a geared bike :oops:

I thought 50 miles / 2800 ft climbing / SS sounded like a herculean proposition, but you're obviously a pretty fit cyclist; apologies.

I know nothing about shin splints apart from it being common in runners.

Speedy recovery!
  • Yes! I got something like shin splints the first time I really upped my cadence over more than just a few minutes - the muscles involved lift the toes in both running and cycling so I can imagine lots of high cadence on your single speed would have caused this. It will pass - gentle massage and some ibuprufen gel helps!

I have had something similar on I think 2 occassions. I commute/train on a single-speed, and rarely when the planets all line up, and there is a tailwind and the roads are clear my cadence is a fair bit higher than usual, and I think this does the damage. Quite painful walking and cycling for a day or so then goes away. For this reason I try cap my cadence on the SS, but easier said than done.

On my geared road bike, I reckon average cadence is much less, so never had any issues.
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    Have to add I was a plodder who upped cadence rather radically over a period of weeks - the first few sessions were uncomfortable afterwards but I could still walk!! And it did pass after a day or two.
  • Shin splints occur because of the small bit of muscle between your achilles heel and your calf. That little bit there gets a pounding from constant up and down motion from your foot. Its kinda like RSI in some ways but can usually be helped with some gels and good massaging, inbetween the shin bone and the calf muscle, run your thumb on the inside of you shin bone and feel for the pain thats the point you need to massage!

Personally I tend to use ice and heat to take the pain away and massage...try not to walk just rest if possible...its horrible!!!

Hope that helped a bit!
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    I also thought that Shin Splints was impact-related.

Maybe it is Compartment Syndrome? http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00204
  • I think there is another condition caused by running/pounding asphalt where small micro fractures occur in the bones of the lower leg and cause severe pain and long lasting swelling. the only shin splints I've experinced is from suddenly changing from road running to forest (having to pick up feet more) and suddenly upping my cadence for longer periods than is comfortable - a muscle problem not bone!
  • I'm no doctor but I really don't see how you can get shin splints from riding a bike. If you have poor technique and cycle with your toes pointing down the whole time you might be able to cause some pain in the shins but as far as bone damage goes I think it's a bit extreme

Saying that, 120rpm on a 49x16 is only a smidge under 30mph so if you're smashing it for 50 miles at a time you might just be able to shake your bones to pieces! If this is what you're doing then you sir, are a hero!
  • There are shin splints and shin splints. The ones I've experienced have been muscular - from lifting toes up unusually much - you can feel it on the mid/outside of your shin bone. Not bone damage!
  • There are shin splints and shin splints. The ones I've experienced have been muscular - from lifting toes up unusually much - you can feel it on the mid/outside of your shin bone. Not bone damage!

It was muscular in the end. It was almost certainly due to me having a more toes down stroke (someone had likened it to scraping mud of sole of shoe movement). After a weeks rest it died off and now its just a mild calf pain.
  • Shin Splints, Tendinitis, and the least talked about Tendinous. This is where the fibers of the tendon become frayed or out of alinement. And is often mistaken as tendinitis. Weeks of rest and massage make no difference. There is no inflammation and so anti-inflammatory drugs are no help.
    The last rep, if you have tendinous, is the easiest. Where the first, middle and last is painful if you have tendinitis.

As someone has already said, the issue is more than likely a combination of your bike fit not being done correctly. And over-use injury. Tendinous comes on gradually, the tendons deteriorate and symptoms like knee pain, numbness, and tingling in the shin's or feet. As yours have come on after a hard ride, it's more than likely tendinitis. And so rest, ice, and anti-inflammatory drugs. Also get your bike and cleats checked out!