2 wheels good...

FeynmanC
FeynmanC Posts: 649
edited February 2011 in Commuting chat
Ok, so it's a motorbike question.

Yamaha YBR125 or Honda CBF125?

I'm considering getting one, as I can't cycle the 50 mile commute (round trip) each day and fuel costs are getting stupid taking the car to work, so I wondered if any of you have experience of either of them?

I prefer the look and the build quality seems better on the honda, but the yamaha has a 0% finance deal at the moment.
us0.png

Comments

• gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    I don't think there is much in it. The build quality of both is superb.

Assuming you are on a restricted licence? Hence the smaal output bikes?

Personally, I would get a secondhand VFR750 (pre vtec) and use it for everything! But then I have a full licence and have a removeable brain for those "moments" of knee down action.

I did a similiar round trip commute as you have for a few months a couple of summers ago, in fact on some days I got it over 70 miles. However, it pretty much killed me and left me with no energy for anything else at all. In fact, I used to just fall asleep all over the place.....so, I would agree with the small motorbike.

Have you looked at 125cc mopeds (some of them have vast underseat storage for the Tesco run and for storing your lid/waterproofs).....
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    I would expect both to be very good. Honda would probably have slightly better resale. I borrowed the Troubles scooter a while back and they are great for carrying stuff but it was infuriating in other respects and the little wheels felt unstable at times. But I too am used to bigger bikes.
  • I've been thinking about the 125cc Varadero, they were doing an offer of a free top box. However as I'm quite tall (6' 3") I'm told a bigger bike would suit me so I'm considering doing Direct Access. However it's all rather moot as my girlfriend has pointed out it's probably worth getting my driving license first.
    FCN 7
    Porridge and coffee - the breakfast of champions
  • FeynmanC
    Thanks GTV,

I'd need a CBT, hence the 125, plus they are cheap and reliable, and money saving is the plan.

I'd probably cycle in one day and bike home in the evening, then bike in and cycle home the next day as part of my LeJOG training, but i don't want to ride too many miles too soon, as that's how I did me knee last time.

I think i'm going to get the honda, for the extra £10 per month i'd prefer to have one that I really like the look of, or i'd constantly be annoyed whenever I saw one and knew i'd chosen the uglier yamaha :oops:
    us0.png
  • gtvlusso
    Never go wrong with a Honda. On the larger bikes I find the CBR600RR a bit too small for me, it is tiny. Not sure if the same applies to the smaller engined bikes - I would guess not as they are not exactly lightweight racing screamers....more transport for the masses.

It is a great looking little bike and I am sure it will be reliable - just remember to oil your chain and keep an eye on sprocket wear, particularly in winter (as with all bikes). I can tell you from experience that breaking a chain at 100mph is proper sh1t your pants time......(GSXR1000R)

And don't ride it in cycle lanes!!!!! Never fear the right hand side filter - in fact, I think they teach it on CBT. Motorbikes are about making progress, keep it in mind when you do the training. I am sure the bug will bike and next year you will start a thread "What GSXR should I go for?".....

I am jealous, my beloved Ducati 998 turned into a kitchen.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    ive been contemplating a "proper" bike for years....but i dont want be a nasty red bloody skidmark on the road. i do really really really want a bike though

i was looking at a GSF 600 Bandit, its only £100 to insure even for a new rider, although had my car license for about 8 years
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • veronese68
    Buying a bike with an engine doesn't make you a blood stain on the road. Riding like a twat does. That can happen if you ride like a twat on a bicycle as well. The fact that you are worried about it means you have enough common sense to be careful. Starting to ride a motorbike after you've aged a little probably helps as you don't feel the invincibility of a teenager.
    Lusso, I feel your pain, sold my Duc to make myself cycle to work by removing the other option. That was over 2 years ago. I recently Bought a Yam SZR660 for £600, what a laugh! And it's made in Italy. Still manage to cycle to work quite a lot as I am a lot fitter than I used to be.
  • gtvlusso
    mudcow007 wrote:
    ive been contemplating a "proper" bike for years....but i dont want be a nasty red bloody skidmark on the road. i do really really really want a bike though

i was looking at a GSF 600 Bandit, its only £100 to insure even for a new rider, although had my car license for about 8 years

In my day; you did one big test for a full motorbike licence. I turned up to my "test" on a 1979 Suzuki GS1000 with a shortened swing arm and chopped Harris exhaust - it was louder than bombs! Had to borrow a test centre 125cc.....

Although, I have never had a serious incident, I have been caught at over 130mph in a 30mph zone and taken a highside at speed Donnington Park circuit in my brief racing career....there are so many ways you can screw up on a bike.

All, I can say is; ride to live. Wear really good lethers and kit, ride to about 100-200 yards ahead of yourself and never front brake on a corner if your going in a bit hot!

GSF600 is a good starter bike, to be honest, I would buy a cheap dog of a bike now - I dropped so many bikes in the driveway overbalancing....would have been gutted if it was a new or expensive bike. Cut your teeth on a small sportsbike (zxr400 and alike) and you will be able to ride the tits off anything that you upgrade to.

Avoid GSXR1000R K4 - it is a f*cking animal....way too powerful for the frame!
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    the thing that has always put me off bikes, is the lack of crash protection. all my mates ride an to be honest feel a bit left out, its had trying to keep up on my mountain bike!!

its the way other people drive that worries me. an the fact that you can have a relatively hard bump in a car an walk it off, on a bike you tend to have smashes instead of bumps...i think i will get my license this summer (Direct Access). im told you can do it for about £600 + £1000 for gear + £???? bike = mucho grin factor in the summer

or should i buy a vespa? (awaits the insults.....)
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • veronese68
    I've ridden various powerful bikes and old classics. Vespas are scary though. New ones may be better but I'm happy not finding out.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Buy the Honda!

(probably)

Any recent 4-stroke 125 that isn't Chinese or otherwise made of case-hardened cheese will probably do fine, but I've seen CG125s run for ever and after owning bikes for 20+ years, my current (15 year old) Honda is the best I've ever had.

For 25 miles each way I'd be tempted to go for something bigger than a 125, but they transport whole families in large parts of Asia so can't really go wrong for 1 bloke in Bristol-ish ;-)
    Misguided Idealist
  • FeynmanC
    Cheers Fireblade. If i get on ok with the 125 and can pass my test I may look at something bigger so it's safer on the motorway (which make work only 20 miles away).

Honda it is then, if I can afford it after looking at the household finances tomorrow.
    us0.png
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Entirely sideways look, but if I were you (not sure how the current licensing system works) but I'd be looking at an older bike with a midsize engine, around the 350 to 500 mark. Near as makes no difference you'll get awesome mpg but with the guts, tires and brakes to get out of trouble. Plus, 50 miles on a 125 ain't a lot of fun. ER500 maybe?
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Just had a quick look at bikes for sale in the Bristol area. I don't know what your licence allows you to ride but this:
    http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201104377973072/sort/priceasc/usedbikes/cc-from/125cc/seller-type/private_adverts/radius/1500/postcode/bs43dr/page/3?logcode=p
    would be perfect for your needs. Cheap to run, not popular with yoofs or hooligans so likely to have been well looked after, comes with top box for your work clothes.
    Solid commuting fare, unexciting but functional. Expect to upgrade within a year to something more fun ;-)

Offer him £800.
    Misguided Idealist
  • Licensing laws are rather complicated right now.

Anyone 17 or over can take CBT and ride a bike up to 125cc for two years with L-plates. They can also take the test on a bike 120-125cc capable of 62mph but are then restricted for two years to bike of 33bhp or less. Dealers/manufacturers do restriction kits to make bikes legal, which can then be removed after the two years is up.

Those 21 or over can take 'Direct Access', taking the test on a bike over 47bhp. They can then ride any size bike.

I suppose the payoff with it being complicated is that it's flexible - it places restrictions on younger/less experienced riders but at least it means they can ride bikes.

Try www.geton.co.uk for test rides.
    FCN 7
    Porridge and coffee - the breakfast of champions
  • FeynmanC
    Fireblade - the linky is dead :-(

And i have to go low powered 125 as i'll need to ride on a CBT, plus with no motorcycle experience I think it'd be good to get some saddle time on something that is less likely to try and kill me than one with more power...I can save that for another year :wink:
    us0.png
  • FeynmanC
    I bought a red honda CBF125 this morning :)

The CBT is booked for a week saturday and, hopefully, i'll be able to ride it home after I pass it.

Thanks for the advice.
    us0.png
  • gtvlusso
    Good effort - well done!

Remember: you can never spend enough on a good helmet! Buy the best you can afford.
  • FeynmanC
    There was a clothing package with the bike, Weiss jacket, trousers and gloves, and a Box BX1 helmet. It has a 4* sharp safety rating, whatever one of those is :?

I got it in matt black

bx1-mtblk-s.jpg

The bike is in red
    honda-cbf125_1514705c.jpg
    us0.png
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Good luck with the bike! I did direct access a few years ago, just before I turned 40, and have a Honda hornet (CB600-F). It's fun to ride; but I realised I'm happier cornering on the 22mm tyres of my road bike than I am on the much fatter rubber of my Hornet. My chicken strips are immense! :(
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Hondas are generally very good; it's a long time since I had a 125 (which, incidentally, was a Honda) but I do still have a Honda. It's an NS400......hee hee hee.....
    Unwashed (but well-lubricated) fixed thing, jeans, DMs - FCN 7(?)