Haussler's 2011

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
edited February 2011 in Pro race
Will Haussler be back at the excellent heights he achieved in '09?

His '10 was cut short with injury, and I sense that knocked his motivation somewhat, which, untill '09 at least, was a little lacking (or so he says...).

I remember making a big song and dance about Ballan after his illness in 09, saying he'd come back to his Flanders winning, Roubaix podium-ing form. And now we don't even consider him as a favourite for those.

Will the same happen of Haussler? He's a bloody exciting racer, and paired with Hushovd provide a formidible tactical force.

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    More pertinently, will his move to Garmin see an end to his frequent visits to St Moritz?
  • rick_chasey
    andyp wrote:
    More pertinently, will his move to Garmin see an end to his frequent visits to St Moritz?

If that's the case, then will that reduce his performances?

I bloody well hope not - he's great value!
  • greeny12
    greeny12 Posts: 759
    andyp wrote:

Amusing occurrence of 'blood' and 'value' in the same sentence there Rick...
    My cycle racing blog: http://cyclingapprentice.wordpress.com/

If you live in or near Sussex, check this out:
    http://ontherivet.ning.com/
  • rick_chasey
    greeny12 wrote:
    andyp wrote:

Amusing occurrence of 'blood' and 'value' in the same sentence there Rick...

:wink:

But seriously, anyone think he will replicate his '09 form?
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    andyp wrote:

Why should he stop training at altitude just because he has signed with Garmin ?
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    He has an attacking spirit but I don't like him overly much. Good to have him in races though.

Who knows what his form will bring - it was rather fleeting before.

tdf09st13-win.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Hope he gets back to '09 form. I think he will. Vaughters appears to get the best out of many riders and there's still the Cervelo core of Classics riders there. Would love to see him peek for Flanders. I believe that's his favoured Classic. It could be a ferocious battle.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    EKIMIKE wrote:
    Hope he gets back to '09 form. I think he will. Vaughters appears to get the best out of many riders and there's still the Cervelo core of Classics riders there. Would love to see him peek for Flanders. I believe that's his favoured Classic. It could be a ferocious battle.

+1
  • rick_chasey
    Do you guys think he will get that form?

I think he will, and overlooking him for MS-R or Flanders for 2011 would be a betting mistake!
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Up until his collision with Cav he seemed to be carrying his '09 form into '10.

Good rider and I hope he regains that form but stays away from the parties. :wink:
  • andyp
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Why should he stop training at altitude just because he has signed with Garmin ?

No reason at all. Working with Dr Ferrari, which is the rumoured reason as to why he makes frequent trips to St Moritz, might be an issue for Vaughters though.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    andyp wrote:
    No reason at all. Working with Dr Ferrari, which is the rumoured reason as to why he makes frequent trips to St Moritz, might be an issue for Vaughters though.

A quick google search for Haussler Ferrari St Moritz suggests the primary people who have been rumouring this are you and Kleber. There's scant reference to it otherwise.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • andyp
    Can you list Ferrari's current clients?

Thought not.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    andyp wrote:

Thought not.

No, I can't, so I don't name anyone. Can you name them?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Speaking of the Myth.....who's he talking about?

http://www.53x12.com/do/show?page=article&id=89
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • andyp
    RichN95 wrote:
    No, I can't, so I don't name anyone. Can you name them?

It's widely believed that Franco Pellizoti was working with him and I'll repeat the Haussler association again. My source for that is rock solid.

By the sounds of things coming out of the FDA investigation, it seems Popovych has been in communication with him and it's not a huge leap of faith to think that his most famous former client has been back in touch.
  • iainf72 wrote:
    Speaking of the Myth.....who's he talking about?

http://www.53x12.com/do/show?page=article&id=89

Dunno, but nice to see that he has the knowledge to quantify power differences in "units of blood"
  • moray_gub
    andyp wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:

I like that word rumoured :lol:
  • moray_gub
    andyp wrote:

Thought not.

Can i join in this " lets just make up some clients game too" ?
  • andyp
    The UCI are very, very interested in knowing who is working with Ferrari, so no-one publically declares their involvement with him. If you've read the Willy Voet book you'll know Virenque rejected working with him as doing so was basically admitting that you were doping.

What is known is that Ferrari still has clients in the pro peleton and he has a property in St Moritz. Haussler suddenly started spending regular periods of time in St Moritz around the same time he went from being a middling sprinter to a Classics strongman and Tour de France middle mountain stage winner, a performance improvement which caused many to raise their eyebrows. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to make the connection.

As for my source of information on Haussler's involvement, I obviously can't name them, but let's just say they had access to the very highest levels of the UCI, ASO and pro team management.
  • moray_gub
    andyp wrote:
    The UCI are very, very interested in knowing who is working with Ferrari, .

Well given that you seem to know for sure he is working with Ferrari why don't you tell them ?
  • andyp
    I have.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    andyp wrote:
    What is known is that Ferrari still has clients in the pro peloton and he has a property in St Moritz. Haussler suddenly started spending regular periods of time in St Moritz around the same time he went from being a middling sprinter to a Classics strongman and Tour de France middle mountain stage winner, a performance improvement which caused many to raise their eyebrows. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to make the connection.

I've no idea whether Haussler is clean or not, but as "evidence" that is pathetic.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Rick's question didn't ask about doping. Soooo leaving disbelief at the door.

I think he will very strong and throw everything into Flanders. I think he will come close, but will find one or two better. I don't see him become a Tour medium mountain monster again though.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    I think labelling his mountain stage win as evidence of doping somewhat misses the point. He got into a good break and was no threat to the overall. Plenty of non climbers have won stages like that. If he suddenly turned up in the GC group on the Alpe that would be different.

I personally like him, he's got a good aggressive style and I think he has a Flanders win in him. Maybe Farrar could concentrate on MSR, Hushovd on PR and Haussler on Flanders?
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    I've always liked Haussler as well, but my heart sank when I read andyp's posts.
    Another one.
    And although there are some riders that I can have a good, uneducated, guess at doping, he was never one of them.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    It is worrying to damn so many people simply by association, by residence, by training partners, by vacation destinations, and any other lightweight link. If that sort of attitude was taken in daily life, one would assume that there are many more criminals and wrong-doers than there are in reality.

It also lessens the enjoyment of the sport, but then I fully appreciate that there are people who post on here who relish the doping aspect more so than the actual racing (I have no problem with that).
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    is Haussler gonna get trapped in being in the train for Farrar..?
  • Tusher
    Of course, it's always possible that a young cyclist (who will no doubt have heard of Ferrari) still decided that he's one of the best trainers around and therefore decided to employ/consult him, making it clear from the outset that he will not use any illegal substances.
  • Tusher
    Argument derailed- Ferrari's banned from coaching pros, isn't he?