North west spring meet up ride

CarbonCopy
CarbonCopy Posts: 492
edited January 2011 in Road beginners
I was wondering if any north westerners would be up for a spring meet up and ride? Mid march maybe.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    edited January 2011
    We usually do one... Last one was top, met up at Macclesfield leisure centre. Shame the cafe at Hartington was shut though!
  • Yep, I would be up for that!
  • maybe! could be out of the country tho...
  • interested in that
    Look 675 Light Di2
    Boardman Pro C winter hack
    Cannondale Prophet
    Decathlon Hub geared City bike
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    as long as i can get myself up to the distance your doing im in :)
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • lucan
    lucan Posts: 339
    Work and other commitments permitting, I'll join the fun. I'll be out of the country 19th/20th and 26th/27 March, though.
    Summer: Kuota Kebel
    Winter: GT Series3
  • Anonymous
    Lucan wrote:
    Work and other commitments permitting, I'll join the fun. I'll be out of the country 19th/20th and 26th/27 March, though.

Didn't you go missing on the last one and haven't been seen since?
  • lucan
    It was all the nanny's fault.

And our younger members won't have a clue what we are talking about. :)
  • Well it will be good if this comes together.i hope the thread gets enough interest and we have a good turnout.
    We need to sort of agree on the area of meet up.
    Macclesfield seems like it could be good as we could ride out over the peak district?
  • Anonymous
    Just name a date, time, meeting place and start planning a route. Build it and they will come! Mid march best for me ;)
  • Well i`m not to good at organizing things so i would gladly stand aside and let some one else with these skills do the job.So if anyone has the skills,tech and of course time feel free to take the lead and show us the way.
  • lucan
    I think we need to start off with suggestions for a route, or at least a start/finish point. Reading last year's thread it looks like it was well worth the planning.

Anyone care to propose a route and/or general area for this year's ride?

Same as last year?
  • Anonymous
    Do you want me to sort it?

Any dates to avoid?

I suggest meeting at Macclesfield Leisure Centre again and I'll sort a route and cafe stop (with a cafe that'll be open!!)
  • lucan
    What about 13th March? That would be good for me.
  • Anonymous
    Lucan wrote:
    What about 13th March? That would be good for me.

Is that any date except 13th March?
  • lucan
    Allow me to clarify - the 13th March, 2011 would be a date upon which my presence could reasonably be anticipated at a gathering of BR members for the purpose of travelling, by bicycle, in a circuitous manner, from, and ultimately to, a location yet to be confirmed.

Does that help? :?
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    I am up for a meet again, loved last years ride
  • Anonymous
    Lucan wrote:
    Allow me to clarify - the 13th March, 2011 would be a date upon which my presence could reasonably be anticipated at a gathering of BR members for the purpose of travelling, by bicycle, in a circuitous manner, from, and ultimately to, a location yet to be confirmed.

Does that help? :?

Roger!

I said any dates to avoid and you said 135h March ;)

I'll start sorting a route.
  • lucan
    Ah, so you did. :oops:

I was probably thinking about your earlier post where you said, "Just name a date, time, meeting place and start planning a route" and since my limited intellect doesn't allow me to multi-task, I was starting with the date.

I'll be there!
  • Ah shame, 13th March counts me out, i hope it's a good one
    Look 675 Light Di2
    Boardman Pro C winter hack
    Cannondale Prophet
    Decathlon Hub geared City bike
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Ah shame, 13th March counts me out, i hope it's a good one

March 13 counts me out too. But if we do it the following weekend (Spring Fling Part 2 anyone?), I'm in!
  • Anonymous
    March 13th also counts me out, but 20th March is a goer...
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    NapoleonD wrote:
    March 13th also counts me out, but 20th March is a goer...

Odd name! But where can I meet her?
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    I am free at this point so you can count me in - a week before the cheshire cat so good spin out would be good as long as it's not an epic.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    NEW THREAD FOR THIS: http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/posting. ... ic&f=40007 - please post your interest there.

I would love to organize this again this year - but unfortunately I'll be away racing until mid-March so can't take 100% responsibility.

But with the help of NapD (who makes the best routes), and possibly one other person to make sure all the posts get answered, we can get this thing going again this year.

I'm going to propose a date of March 20 (as mr_poll says - a week before the Cheshire Cat).

Route will be (I'm guessing) through the Peak District, starting from Macclesfield. Somewhere between 50 and 75 miles depending on terrain? Cafe stop.

Last year it was a mix of experienced and not-so-experienced riders. We waited for the slower folks at the top of climbs, etc.

I would 'suggest' that this ride isn't for the absolute beginner (maybe me get this thread moved to another section). But if you can do a hilly 65 miles at a comfortable pace (or want to push yourself a bit) then this is a great ride to do!

START OF A NEW THREAD FOR THIS:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/posting. ... ic&f=40007 - please post your interest there.
  • lucan
    Pokerface, your link simply takes me to a page to create a new thread.

20th March is not good for me, I'll be cycling in France that weekend. Any chance of making it 6th March?

Oh well, maybe next time :cry:
  • Can't do 13th as I'm on call that week but 20th sounds good.

Just a question about ability, I am no speed merchant but can keep a reasonable pace, just checking so that I won't be the only slow one at the back :D
  • Anonymous
    Can't do 13th as I'm on call that week but 20th sounds good.

Just a question about ability, I am no speed merchant but can keep a reasonable pace, just checking so that I won't be the only slow one at the back :D

It's a social ride, no one gets left behind. As long as you can do 2 hilly 30 milers separated by a big cake then you'll be fine.
  • Richa1181
    Richa1181 Posts: 177
    Is this ride open to all or do you have to have posted at least 3,000 replies to qualify? I wouldn't mind it as I only live down the road