Pollution

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Wow. What an amazing non-story. I just wasted 5 minutes of my life on that rubbish.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Why does the article come with a photo that was quite clearly taken in the 80's?

Load of old shite.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    /\ /\ What those guys said.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Yeah that is an amazing retro cycling photo! Must be at least 20 years old if not 25.... I don't see why it's a non story though. It raises the same concerns that other similar articles do. It comes to no conclusion but then it seems there are no particularly conclusions to reach on this, but it offers a fairly balanced view of the effects of pollution...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • cjcp
    Yeah that is an amazing retro cycling photo! Must be at least 20 years old if not 25.... I don't see why it's a non story though. It raises the same concerns that other similar articles do. It comes to no conclusion but then it seems there are no particularly conclusions to reach on this, but it offers a fairly balanced view of the effects of pollution...

But that's part of the problem isn't it? It just says some stuff and offers no conclusions.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    cjcp wrote:

But that's part of the problem isn't it? It just says some stuff and offers no conclusions.

The conclusion in most of these types of articles seems to be that cyclists breath more deeply therefore take in a lot of pollutants. PM10 pollutants get into your lungs more deeply and these often come from (dirty, under maintained) diesel engines. You're better off trying to find a route away from major arterial commuter roads. Sunny, still days are the worst because ground level ozone and other photochemical pollutants are at their highest. Overall, yuo're probably improving your health by cycling
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • cjcp
    cjcp wrote:

The conclusion in most of these types of articles seems to be that cyclists breath more deeply therefore take in a lot of pollutants. PM10 pollutants get into your lungs more deeply and these often come from (dirty, under maintained) diesel engines. You're better off trying to find a route away from major arterial commuter roads. Sunny, still days are the worst because ground level ozone and other photochemical pollutants are at their highest. Overall, yuo're probably improving your health by cycling

Yep, definitely. Staying fit helps keep my asthma under control. The article's headline should focus on the cause of the pollution.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    The problem with articles like this is that they come to no progressive conclusion, and that they simply give those half heartedly considering it another excuse not to cycle.