Dilemma - bar ends or ergon grips ?

Jay dubbleU
Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
edited January 2011 in Commuting general
I've been getting some pins and needles after riding distances in excess of 20 miles so decided I need to change my bars - question is do I get bar ends to allow me to change position or do I get the ergon type grips which suppirt my wrists at a better angle ?

Comments

• Well, you could go for the Ergon GR-2 and have both!

ergon-gr2-standard-grips-40747.jpg

I did that and found them an improvement but I've now gone a step further and fitted butterfly bars since my commute has increased to 19.7 miles...

_

P.S. Note that the link is not a recommendation - I've never used that supplier - but it seems a good price...
  • Jay dubbleU
    Thanks - I'd thought about those but the bar end looks a bit small to get a decent grip
  • mrwibble
    mrwibble Posts: 980
    GC3 are amazingly good, pricey but worth it
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    OR consider a more swoopy bar shape. I switched from flat to On-One Mary and solved lots of problems. I transferred the Ergon grips across and they work on the Marys
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I have Ergons with bar ends - very good.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • I've never managed to get comfy with ergon grips, for me they restrict and enforce my hand position too much. I like a moustache bar as it gives a very natural hand & wrist orientation.
  • For me, ergo grips were more comfy than bar ends and also allowed me to stay near the controls at all times - important for my commute in traffic. Normal bar-ends also put my grip further forward on the bike, which ended up putting more weight on my wrists :( and were unpadded, so transmitted more vibration to the wrists :( .

Mountain bikers mainly use bar ends when climbing steep hills, where being leant further forward helps avoid wheelying backwards over uneven surfaces - not relevent to my riding.

A swept-back bar was even more comfy. They also worked with the ergo grips, with the side effect of a more upright position as my grip was moved a couple of inches backwards.
  • Jay dubbleU
    I've gone with the ergons - see how they work out after this weekends 60k sportive - should be a good test
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    I've recently been getting a bit of pain in my thumb, only the right one, would either of these help?
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Ergons may help.
    Thumb pain may be because your hand wants to rotate out naturally and the thumb is preventing it. That is one reason I went with swoopy bars.
    It may be pressure on the nerves but that is usually the cause of numbness of the smaller fingers.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    love my ergons; am waiting to find a cheap pair for my MTB