Base layers

Shark Sandwich
Shark Sandwich Posts: 77
edited February 2011 in The bottom bracket
Just interested to see who uses them in the current weather?

I've started riding again after few months off and It seems I will overheat in anything other than just a jersey and arm warmers. And this morning i had to take my arm warmers off as i was getting too hot in them. Ive seen people wearing base layers in summer and Im starting to think theres something wrong with me!?

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Just interested to see who uses them in the current weather?

I've started riding again after few months off and It seems I will overheat in anything other than just a jersey and arm warmers. And this morning i had to take my arm warmers off as i was getting too hot in them. Ive seen people wearing base layers in summer and Im starting to think theres something wrong with me!?

What's your current weather?

Here in the Highlands we're still about 4C and I wear I thin, shortsleeve, baselayer. Much warmer and it would just be a top.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Lancslad
    Lancslad Posts: 307
    only wear base layers when its below zero.
    Novice runner & novice cyclist
    Specialized Tricross
    Orbea (Enol I think)
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I wear a baselayer of some kind year round because they're designed to wick sweat as well as keep you warm.
    More problems but still living....
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    I wear a baselayer until it gets to just below 20c...... so nearly on the time in this country!
  • helly hansen lifa.

every day since september , not the same one obviously.

wicks sweat away keeps me dry and warm. under a regatta lightweight fleece and a waterproof/windproof regatta jacket. even when it was -7 in the mornings i was toasty warm and importantly - dry
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    I wear a warm Campri base layer plus a HH short sleeve shirt and maybe an altura base layer over these as I feel the cold as I don't have much fat on me :oops: .
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    I wear mine unless it will be 20+C for the whole trip. That's 90%+ up here :(

That said, I tried one out of curiosity when in France and it was 30+C and it wicked away nicely. That's the benefit of merino along with the non-smell part. Still goes against the grain when it is hot though.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    I wear mainly base layer with either a softshell or roubaix top.

Craft sub zero or DHB.
  • Im in dorking, Its about 4 degrees on the morning around here too.

Does the benefit of a decent base layer in terms of wicking sweat away outweigh the fact that i may be a bit hotter?
  • I use a Howies merino baselayer all year round. In winter I ware a short sleeve one with a longer sleeve one over the top under my windproof. When its warmer I'll ditch the longer sleeved one and in the summer just ride with the short sleeved one. They seems to be good at wicking moisture away, keep me warm in winter and feel fairly cool without anything on over the top when breezing along in summer... They also take ages before they start to stink ;-)
    Offroad: Canyon Nerve XC8 (2012)
    Touring / Commuting: On-One Inbred (2011)(FCN9)

http://uninspiredramblings.wordpress.com
  • hmmmm, i use a smartwool light merino top, it's ace...even if i stink like a sweaty skunk, it remains whiff free....failing that, i may use a smelly Helly, but recommend merino base layer anytime....
    i like bike
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    Another one who wears one - in some shape or form - all year round.
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    yah i only wear a mankini as long as its above -10......

Jaysus people 1,short sleeve base- 2,long sleeve base- 3,jersey with arm warmers-4,windproof jacket- and 5, lightweight waterproof-if its really cold. :? are you guys actually leaving the house? :lol: what about windchill?
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    All year round.

In August I was wearing leg warmers, arm warmers and base layers. I can only remember riding twice last year with just shorts and tshirt as it was proper hot.

On saturday in the puring down rain we had some nutter out with us in just shorts and jersey with a backpack and no mudguards, we never seen him again after we went through a 2ft deep puddle he must have turned back but good job he'd have got something like a cold if he carried on.
  • neilo23
    neilo23 Posts: 783
    mattshrops wrote:
    yah i only wear a mankini as long as its above -10......

Jaysus people 1,short sleeve base- 2,long sleeve base- 3,jersey with arm warmers-4,windproof jacket- and 5, lightweight waterproof-if its really cold. :? are you guys actually leaving the house? :lol: what about windchill?

Agree with you there. On cold days I have use a short sleeved base under a long sleeved base jersey, a short sleeved jersey, arm warmers and a long sleeved jersey. sometimes I put on a thin windstopper for the descents, too. I#m usually running around in a t-shirt when most people still have their coats on, so I don't think I'm particularly sensitive to cold weather. This, however, is a problem for me:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... highlight=
  • Currently knocking around the 10-12 degree mark here and long sleeve base with short sleeve jersey up top for me. Running tights over the bibs though down below.
  • mingmong
    mingmong Posts: 542
    More when I run. Only base it on the bike when it's sub 5 degrees. The layer of blubber must help :lol: