The time has come!

polska1979
polska1979 Posts: 152
edited January 2011 in Commuting general
The time has come, payday tomorrow - so I'm going to get clipped in!

Doing it on a budget so realistically looking at the following kit

DHB M1 Shoes - currently £39.99
Shimano M520 SPD Pedals - Currently £20 on Evans

I am using the bike on the road/cyclepaths

For the price is there anything else out there that can match this?

Comments

• Sounds like a bargain.
    Czy Pan z Polski?
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I've been using the same combination on the commute (30+ miles a day) for over a year now. Very happy.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • nie, mój dziadek jest jednak.

What are the shoes like in the rain? I seem to get blessed with Manchester rain every morning at the moment.
  • I use the M520's and have been pretty happy with them. Their only down side is that they can make strange noises at times and get you all paranoid about your BB/crank.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    polska1979 wrote:
    nie, mój dziadek jest jednak.

What are the shoes like in the rain? I seem to get blessed with Manchester rain every morning at the moment.

They're not waterproof, so, at this time of year, I've got Gore overshoes, too. They're quite stiff, but I'm not replacing cleats at the rate I used.

I think the material is beginning to separate from the toe cap, but I think have a habit of curling my toes because the same thing happens to my running trainers. But I'll certainly look into another pair when these go. If they last this year, I'll have got around 12,000 miles out of them, maybe more.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Lancslad
    Lancslad Posts: 307
    I'm also using that combo on my commuter with gore overshoes which are expensive but very good and they are velcro rather than zips :) Have been using them a few months now and not had any problems although they shoes arent very stylish it doesnt really matter because they are covered.
    Novice runner & novice cyclist
    Specialized Tricross
    Orbea (Enol I think)
  • polska1979 wrote:
    nie, mój dziadek jest jednak.

Rain is a problem at this time of year. You should get some overshoes, which will keep your feet dry and also warm. Personally, I find Endura's very good.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Another user of M1s but with XT 747s on one bike and 770s on the other.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.