Can someone explain 60a and 70a tyre differences

gtiandy
gtiandy Posts: 15
edited January 2011 in MTB buying advice
Evening, looking for some help. Im looking at Maxxis Advantage (rear) and Ardents (front) and they both have 60a and 70a options.

Whats the difference? And more importantly, which type is better?

Cheers

Andy

Comments

• warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    The higher the number the harder the rubber compound. 60a is probably their 'Maxxpro' blend, which I quite like. Harder rubber mean faster rolling and harder wearing, but a bit less grip.
  • It's to do with the hardness of the rubber - a lower number will be softer - which will grip better, but wear out faster. A higher number will be a harder compound - less grip in certain situations, but more durable.

As for which one to go for - It all depends on the type of riding you do/how much you're willing to spend on tyres! But 60a is not that soft - thaat would be my recomendation
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    It is the stickiness of the rubber compound, in laymans terms the lower the number the stickier, usually grippier but wears faster and drags more. Opposite is true of higher numbers.
  • gtiandy
    gtiandy Posts: 15
    Cheers guys, thats kinda what I thought. I will check the difference in price and see which makes more sense.

Thanks

Andy
  • personally the 60a would be the better choice, very popular compound with maxxis riders, they also do 40 and a 42 as well so 60a is more like a half way house
  • Miggins
    Miggins Posts: 433
    To give you an idea of rubber hardness, see below:

20A = Rubber Band
    40A = Pencil Eraser
    60A = Car Tire Tread
    70A = Running Shoe Sole
    80A = Leather Belt
    100A = Shopping Cart Wheel
    After uphill there's downhill
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Miggins wrote:

20A = Rubber Band
    40A = Pencil Eraser
    60A = Car Tire Tread
    70A = Running Shoe Sole
    80A = Leather Belt

Where did you find that out because I'm sure it's false since for one, you get different compounds on car tyre's just like bike ones, funny that, and I do not wear my super tackys (42a) out as soon as I lock up on a rock. Oh, and running shoes also have different compounds so that must be false as well
  • Miggins
    Miggins Posts: 433
    peter413 wrote:
    Miggins wrote:

20A = Rubber Band
    40A = Pencil Eraser
    60A = Car Tire Tread
    70A = Running Shoe Sole
    80A = Leather Belt

Where did you find that out because I'm sure it's false since for one, you get different compounds on car tyre's just like bike ones, funny that, and I do not wear my super tackys (42a) out as soon as I lock up on a rock. Oh, and running shoes also have different compounds so that must be false as well

Thanks Peter. Probably best to tell these guys: http://mykin.com/index.php/rubber-hardness-chart

Just trying to help :wink:
    After uphill there's downhill