New to MTB and Bikeradar!

.Brucey.
.Brucey. Posts: 66
edited January 2011 in MTB beginners
Hi there,

I'm Bruce, 25, from Kent and I'm looking at getting my first ''proper'' MTB in about 10 years. I want to do some light trail riding, a bit of road riding until my skill and confidence improve before doing some more intense trail XC style riding.

I have a upper budget of £900 and want something thats capable of doing what I describe. A few friends of mine ride and rate Cube bikes and I really like the Cube LTD Pro and can afford the new 2011 one.

I was wondering if theres any others I should look at or consider Question

Any help and I would be grateful.

Cheers guys

Bruce

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Hi Bruce, welcome. If you do a search (using the button next to 'members list', not the one higher up), you will probably find approx 1 billion similar threads, with much useful info. Or look in the Buying Advice section.
    Standard forum answer - look at a Boardman.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bellys
    bellys Posts: 456
    cooldad wrote:
    Hi Bruce, welcome. If you do a search (using the button next to 'members list', not the one higher up), you will probably find approx 1 billion similar threads, with much useful info. Or look in the Buying Advice section.
    Standard forum answer - look at a Boardman.

as above Boardman are good bikes.
  • was in the same position as you, had been off bikes for 10 years until last summer..
    I went with a Boardman, partly because my cycle2work scheme uses Halfords, and partly because nothing can touch it for the money..

I've been well pleased with it, I'm a heavy rider (17st) and ride almost totally off-road, so it hasn't had an easy ride, but the only thing that has failed since May last year is the pedal bearings...
  • I'm just getting back into riding too, I got an outgoing model Specialized Rockhopper, which is a bit below your budget, but it was a lot of bike for the money. Boardman only update their bikes every 2 years, according to an interview i read somewhere, so you might get a last years model bike with the same componentry as a boardman, depending what year you buy in.

Just my opinion but hey!!!!
  • cooldad
    Componentry hasn't actually changed, so makes no difference.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Ive tried the Boardmans at my local Halfords and it just didnt feel right....

My friend has a Cube bike like what I mentioned, and that felt a lot mor solid with me on it compared to the boardman
  • cooldad
    I said standard forum answer, not that it was right for you.
    If you find one you like get it, you have to ride it and be happy with it.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Took the plunge and ordered a Cube LTD Pro, should be delivered Monday.