Football on Sky Sports

Comments

• Andy Burton "suspended" too;

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-New ... h_Official

She was due to run the line tonight, she has now been withdrawn. I do hope this dies down and she can get back to her life and the Dinosaur that is Andy Gray can get wiped out by a meteorite somewhere. I lost all respect for him when Everton wanted him to Manage or coach them and he took the easy option of sitting in a studio criticising those that had the plums to do it.

Tik a boo then feck off :P
  • northernneil
    northernneil Posts: 1,549
    apparently in December there is footage of him shoving a hand held microphone down his tousers and asking a female employee "do you want to help me out with this love"
  • brucey72
    brucey72 Posts: 1,086
    apparently in December there is footage of him shoving a hand held microphone down his tousers and asking a female employee "do you want to help me out with this love"

There is mate, it's in the link above provided by Sonny :wink:
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    Bozman wrote:
    Another victory for the pc brigade!
    What a waste of airtime and column inches, It's football for gods sake and how long has the offside rule and explaining it to women been a joke... years!
    I imagine that the Soccer Saturday pundits and 99.9% of the footballing community will be pi**ing themselves, it's football banter, if you don't like it you shouldn't be in the job or watching the game. It's a male orientated sport or was before they turned it into a non-contact game.
    I've yet to hear a comment from the woman but if the linesman, oh sorry... referees assistant doesn't like the comment she should go back to refereeing Arsenal ladies, but i'm going to guess that she won't give a s**t and wonders what all the fuss is about!

you go into work* tomorrow and abuse some of the women who work there or have a pop at the nearest black feller- see how long you last.

*im presuming you have a job that doesnt involve dwelling in a cave
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    It's not a joke when no-one laughs.
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    Sonny73 wrote:

The funiest thing about this whole episode was someone in the comments section of that article who was calling for Stan Collymore to replace him.
    god i never thought of that not another arsenal or liverpool defender please not, get ian wright on at least he has some personality. jamie redknap is a brown noser .stan collymore would be great he is quality on talk sport.

Stan Collymore, now there IS someone with respect for women! :shock:
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Bozman wrote:
    Another victory for the pc brigade!
    What a waste of airtime and column inches, It's football for gods sake and how long has the offside rule and explaining it to women been a joke... years!

And why does it persist, with people like these two clearly still believing there's something in it...?

It's an attitude from 30 years ago.
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    ''He who laughs last, laughs loudest", and she certainly is now after officiating extremely well and him getting the sack. I'm not PC when it comes to banter tbh but, having listened to the tape it's obvious that they're not joking and believe what they are saying. Pathetic. I even think it would have been 'more acceptable' for them, and easier to apologise for, if they were joking and had said it on air.

These 'off air' things are probably recorded all the time and I do find it odd that this comes out, then another recent one appears from thin air (microphone one), just as AG is sueing The NoTW also owned by Murdoch. And to back up my conspiracy theory, the off air sideline one appears to me to be a complete stitch up. Not that I care though, I think he's a tw@t.

Anywhoo, every cloud.....hopefully AG will be replaced by a bit of crumpet with big knockers! :D I know they have a feminine touch on MoTD, but it's just not the same coming from Mark Lawrenson! :lol:
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Just downloaded the update on Fifa 11, not much difference but when the wife started playing, Andy Gray piped up & told her to put the controller down & feck off back to the kitchen.... :twisted:
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Apparently Andy Gray was earning £1m a year. So that's a million Sky can put into the 'Get Cav' account.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Christ, I hope this doesn't mean we see motormouth Jamie Redknapp any more than is absolutely necessary. Or Sam Allardyce.
  • Sonny73 wrote:

Up until seeing this, I felt sorry for Andy Gray as the "linesman" incident wasn't intended to be broadcast. In my book he's allowed to have an opinion, even if a lot of people disagree with him.

However, as others have pointed out, the behaviour in the above link is completely out of order and would get you the sack in most jobs.
  • Aggieboy
    lineswoman.jpg
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,170
    Sonny73 wrote:

Up until seeing this, I felt sorry for Andy Gray as the "linesman" incident wasn't intended to be broadcast. In my book he's allowed to have an opinion, even if a lot of people disagree with him.

However, as others have pointed out, the behaviour in the above link is completely out of order and would get you the sack in most jobs.

In a way I think the comment he made regarding the linesman was more sexist as it implied she is stupid solely on the grounds she is female.
    Mañana
  • BigG67
    BigG67 Posts: 582
    Aggieboy wrote:
    ''He who laughs last, laughs loudest", and she certainly is now after officiating extremely well and him getting the sack. I'm not PC when it comes to banter tbh but, having listened to the tape it's obvious that they're not joking and believe what they are saying. Pathetic. I even think it would have been 'more acceptable' for them, and easier to apologise for, if they were joking and had said it on air.

These 'off air' things are probably recorded all the time and I do find it odd that this comes out, then another recent one appears from thin air (microphone one), just as AG is sueing The NoTW also owned by Murdoch. And to back up my conspiracy theory, the off air sideline one appears to me to be a complete stitch up. Not that I care though, I think he's a tw@t.

Anywhoo, every cloud.....hopefully AG will be replaced by a bit of crumpet with big knockers! :D I know they have a feminine touch on MoTD, but it's just not the same coming from Mark Lawrenson! :lol:

Not sure it'd be in revenge for sueing The NoTW or not but it's definitely been structured to get AG. 3 separate releases; first to position him as a sexist, second to make sure he was seen as sleezy and finally the coup de grâce....him being slimy to an attractive, out of his league, popular presenter.

He's p!ssed someone off and they've been out to get him.

I wouldn't be a huge shock if Andy Burton was in on it. He brought up the woman assistant ref and commented on her looks, AG pretty much brushed it off. The RK exchange was later and sounds like AG starts the conversation off...after having the whole thing suggested by Burton earlier.

It seems that the oldest clip, saved until last, wasn't enough to get him so a trap was laid. :twisted:

Serves him right....creepy
  • Aggieboy
    I've heard it was lucky that she even turned out on Sat'. She was deeply upset when she found out she'd be wearing the same outfit as her colleagues.
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    1 in 3 iPhone users has Angry Birds on their phone. Andy Gray does too, despite not owning an iPhone.
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Sonny73 wrote:

The ironic thing being that Charlotte Jackson is only employed to stand there, look pretty, and read the results once the men have finished the serious business of analysing the football.

Edited to add: Furthermore, Sky Sports taking any kind of high moral stance on sexism is absolutely hilarious when you consider that Soccer AM has had the truly misogynistic "Soccerette" segment on their programme for, what, nearly twenty years?!
  • brin
    brin Posts: 1,122
    afx237vi wrote:
    Sonny73 wrote:

Edited to add: Furthermore, Sky Sports taking any kind of high moral stance on sexism is absolutely hilarious when you consider that Soccer AM has had the truly misogynistic "Soccerette" segment on their programme for, what, nearly twenty years?!

good point, still glad Mr 'i know everything and how it should be done' gray has gone, altho i now have no excuse not to subscribe to sky sports :?
  • brin wrote:
    good point, still glad Mr 'i know everything and how it should be done' gray has gone, altho i now have no excuse not to subscribe to sky sports :?

*cough*

Jamie "why use five words when fifty will do" Redknapp?

*cough*
  • RichN95.
    afx237vi wrote:
    The ironic thing being that Charlotte Jackson is only employed to stand there, look pretty, and read the results once the men have finished the serious business of analysing the football.

Yeah, but she still does her job very well.

The biggest irony, is that Keys and Gray have on several occasions complained that the offside law as become hard to understand to the common fan and themselves due to the 'non-active player' ruling. They've had conversations about how no-one can understand what is what.

Yet when someone who has trained and qualified to make the decision, they go all old school sexist. The pundit's grasp of the laws is hopeless (see references to 'deliberate' handball - which isn't mentioned)

They were getting stale anyway. New blood is needed to shake things up (not Redknapp)
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    RichN95 wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

Yeah, but she still does her job very well.

I know, but that's just a bonus as far as Sky are concerned. Her first and foremost role is to look glamorous - it's no different to Bruce Forsythe's dolly bird assistants in the 1970s. It's not just football that's sexist, the media is too (although that's ageist, too.)
  • RichN95.
    afx237vi wrote:
    I know, but that's just a bonus as far as Sky are concerned. Her first and foremost role is to look glamorous - it's no different to Bruce Forsythe's dolly bird assistants in the 1970s. It's not just football that's sexist, the media is too (although that's ageist, too.)

Sure looks come into it, but I remember seeing Miss Jackson on news channels for websites like F365. She paid her dues and learnt her trade. Plus she not related to anyone in sport (see Kelly Dalglish, Gaby Logan (nee Yorath), Kelly Gallagher, Claire Balding). Two of them are really good though.
  • Meanwhile, 60 years earlier...

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=33760

Surely things are better nowadays.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Who's next ..... Frankie Boyle? Maybe he should go for Grays job and that'll give them a real reason to complain!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    Aggieboy wrote:

I've heard that Gray treats the studio staff, runners etc, especially badly.

Clearly a few people in that studio have it in for him.
  • brin
    Certainly looks as tho he was set up, but sometimes these prima donna's believe they are above everything and everybody else, like they say, "keep close to your friends and closer still to your enemies"
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Aggieboy wrote:

I've heard that Gray treats the studio staff, runners etc, especially badly.

Clearly a few people in that studio have it in for him.

That has got to be true as more than one must have had it in for him.
  • brin
    Just heard Sian Massey is the new personality for advertising 'just for men' -she was just used the once and the gray was gone :lol::lol: