Maratone dles Dolomites

v.e.e
v.e.e Posts: 46
I have got a place on this year's Maratona dles Dolomites. I would welcome any advice from people who have done this regarding where to stay, what to take, how to train and any other tips or hints that you think might be useful.

I live in Lincolnshire, which is not very hilly so any advice on training for the climbs would be particularly welcome. what did you do and what worked? I have just bought a turbo with a hills setting do I just sit on that with a high resistance cranking it out for increasingly long intervals?

Comments

• phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,911
    It's a fantastic ride, you'll love it. Last year we stayed in Fondi for a week before heading to Corvara on the weekend of the event, where we had an apartment just at the foot of the Campalongo, so it was a great place to soak in the atmosphere and watch hundreds of riders testing their legs on the climb each day.

As for training, I don't personally think there are any hills over here that allow you to train for this kind of ride. You'll probably be climbing for up to an hour on each pass so I generally did hour long tempo sessions. If you want to stimulate the climbs a bit more you can raise your front wheel whilst doing them and maybe use a lower cadence than normal. You'll need that low cadence to climb the Giau as it's a toughie coming both in the midday sun and with a decent number of miles in your legs :)

The other tip I'd give is to really consider your food. Last year I took quite a few bars and returned home with most of them as chewing whilst climbing wasn't easy at all. Gels are the order of the day.

You'll have a great time though, it's unlike any UK sportive I've ever done. Caught the Granfondo bug now and signed up to do the Pantani this year so will be scaling the Gavia and Mortirolo. Can't wait :)
  • v.e.e
    Thanks for the info. Everyone who has done this one tells me it is the best.

The advice on food is good. I have never tried gels as I don't like the texture, reminds me a bit of snot, but it looks like I will have to get over that.

Just got a new turbo with a hills setting so cranking out long sessions on that to simulate the constant climbing sounds like the way to go.

would love to know how the Pantini coompares perhaps I might try that one next!
  • v.e.e
    Sorry typo 'coompares' !
  • The Giau is the only really tough climb, the others can be trained for by simply doing long rides and getting used to being on the bike for 7+ hours. Most of the first loop of the figure-of-eight course you will be amongst 100s of other riders so you can trundle along and enjoy the spectaular scenery. If you are having a bad day and can't face the challenge of Passo Giau there is a medium-length bail-out route option that goes instead up the long-but-gentle gradient of Passo Falzarego (which has the novelty of a hairpin corner in a tunnel to look forward to).

It's often chilly in Dolomites, especially with the 6am assembly at the starting pens, so do take arm warmers and don't forget some optional spare kit in case of bad weather.

Regarding food, the various food stops – positioned at the top of each main col – tend to be well stocked (unless you're one of the tail-enders perhaps).
  • Airmiles
    Airmiles Posts: 101
    Hi, congratulations on getting in - it's fantastic! If you've not been there before, be prepared to be gobsmacked by the scenery - it is truly stunning.

I did it twice in 07 and 09.

Sections of the Giau apart, it's not that steep - and the climbs are also very even in gradient - so it's more about steady tempo twiddling than UK hardman honking. training on a turbo or even flat road intervals is fine - I just did lots of 2x20 and 3 x15, building over a few months to 2x30, 3x20. Plus lots of 4-5 hour rides at weekends an UK sportives.To be honest, the best benefit of 2x30 is mental -i f you can finish that, you have the confidence you can finish the passes! the key is to make them at threshold - you won't be going that hard in the event itself. I had the luxury of going out early so having the time to acclimatise, do a few rides and recce the route. Just remember to taper - don't follow all the groups doing 3 hour rides a few days before!

Regarding feeding, it's a LOT of calorie expenditure, so you need to start feeding early and steadily - from the top of the first crossing of Campolongo onwards. The first year I stuck to a similar feeding routine as a UK sportive and nearly blew up, The second time I was forewarned! Sadly that does mean gels, as well as taking full advantage of the feed stops. And don't go too silly with the pasta in the preceding days, or you'll feel like the michelin man by the start...

For accommodation, try Corvara, La Villa or Pedraces (AKA Badia) - these give you an easy trip to the start.

For practicalities, the start is divided into four groups - unless you've got a special package, or are female, you'll be in the last pen for your first visit. You really want to be at the front of this, which means getting there earlier than you think - so as said before, take arm warmers, gilet - maybe even a placcy bag and ladies tights to throw away if it's cold.Of course if you are female you start from the front and can bask in the luxury of not doing the first two climbs in the midst of a slow-moving five mile long crocodile! I've been fortunate to have dry rides both times, and the early start means you avoid the worst of any heat until the last climb. I still got cramp though.... If it was wet I'm guessing it wouldn't be too bad as long as not windy - but the descents might be cold. I guess your call re legwarmers and shoe covers in that case. But dress for the ride, not the wait.... there's a good bike shop on the outskirts of La Villa who stock most things you might need last minute.

Good luck!

Miles
    I'm not saying pedestrians in Hackney are stupid.. but a fixed bayonet would be more use than a fixed gear...
  • v.e.e
    Thanks Airmiles and Le Comentateur, some really useful info in there.

Looks like I am in luck then as I am female. Who else gets to start first other than women?

Glad to hear that the gradients are long and steady and nothing mega steep. Thanks for the tips on training too. I have been doing 3 x 20 mins at an HR of around 176 - 184 on the turbo. Is that about the right intensity? My max HR is 189 and my threshold is 184. Advice on whether this is right would be appreciated.

I was also wondering whether I should aim to gradually increase the length of the intervals as I was guessing that I might be climbing for around an hour at a time. although it looks like intervals of 30 mins would be OK from what you say Airmiles.

Bit puzzled about what you do with the placcy bag and ladies tights though, could you elaborate?
  • 3Pears
    3Pears Posts: 174
    Hi v.e.e.
    I agree with the others, its fantasic event, certainly the best I've ever done :) I think the placcy bag and tights are to wear whilst waiting in your pen ! I took an old fleece which I discarded, safely just before crossing the start timing mat.

My time in the pen went very quickly, totally gob-smacked by the scenary and the 4 or 5 Helicopter circling the start area.

The roads were all closed last year when I did it which I take it is the same each year :P

Re training, I'm not a turbo lover so most of mine was long road rides.

Hope you enjoy the whole experience, good luck :D
  • Hi v.e.e.

I believe the women start just behind the 'race pen (nrs 1 to x00 who have proven ability)

wrt the training, I think that taining against or under treshold is a good training, as that is most likely what you will be doing during the ride...

I think the Maratona especially sella round can be looked at as a series of intense blocks followed by a recovery blocks...

c u there!
  • v.e.e
    Great idea to take something to use to keep warm in the pens that is disposable.

So I was right that being in the front at the start means watching the really fast guys charge off in to the distance.

I am curious to know how long I can expect to be climbing for at any one time. I know that that obviously depends on how quick you are but what sort of time will an averagely fit rider (not racer) be climbing for before getting a break. Guestimates are a better guide than nothing at all.

Any tips on descending would be good too. Will I need spare break blocks and an anchor?

Sounds like you are going too Christophe. Are you going from the UK? Any tips on transporting bikes. Someone on our club ride today was saying that there are companies that take bikes out for you. Is that a good way to go or shall I borrow a bike bag off someone and take my bike on the plane with me?
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,911
    The Giau is around 10km at roughly 10% and as it comes a reasonable way into the ride I dare say you'll be riding for around 45-60 minutes at least. That's the toughest climb by some distance.

As for descending, I'd recommend getting some fresh blocks for the ride as you will use them. Over heating rims is something to be wary of.
  • v.e.e
    Hi Phreak

Sorry I didn't read your previous post properly where you had already mentioned hour long climbs............dohh

I think the fear of what I have taken on is addling my brain!
  • No need to fear v.e.e. ... the Giau only comes at the end :lol:

by then you know already that it is going to be a doddle ...

I am going for the 2011 event yes, but will be leaving from Belgium...

Wrt transport of bikes, I always use a bikecase when flying...
    it is probably overkill, but I prefer that to ending up in some airport filling in forms and calling around...

I didn't even know about companies that get your bike there... keep us in the loop on that one...

Am looking forward to it...
  • Hi v.e.e.

FWIW

In terms of training, as the others say, there is little you can do on the road in the UK that will directly prep you for the climbs - suppose you could try riding up and down Bwlch all day :shock: Although not 'that' steep, other than the Giau, they do go on a bit, and you will be climbing for an hour plus at a time. But if you're fit and strong, it shouldn't be a problem - get in a steady rythm, not too fast, and spin your way up. It's a lot lot better to start off too slow and get faster than it is the other way around. For the Giau, just switch of your brain, ignore the pain and get to the top :wink:

The main thing you need to train for is being able to spend that long in the saddle. You should to be able to do a sustained ride for at least the time you think you will complete the Maratona in, and feed the same way you intend to on the ride - same food, liquid, gels etc. It's one thing popping an occasional gel on a club ride, another to feed on them for 6/7 hours. Find out what works for you and what doesn't.

Make sure brakes and tyres/inner tubes are in good condition. A minor tyre cut, which would be ignored on a UK ride, becomes a bit of a focus on a major high-speed descent. You don't need to be able to descend like a pro but it helps to be confident. Practice not dragging the brakes and being relaxed on the bars. A death grip will have your arms pumped at the bottom, reduces control and is hard work.

In terms of where to stay, Corvara is good (obviously) and the liveliest town in the area - which is not saying a huge amount :wink: La Villa is quieter and Pedraces very quiet. The bike shop in La Villa is good (Breakout Sports) and they also rent out an apartment in Pedraces, which was good value last year. La Villa and Pedraces are also downhill from the finish, if you want to ride in :)

The scenery is stunning - if you don't have at least one dropped jaw moment then you are doing something wrong. Oh yeah, most important bit - don't worry, enjoy it :D
    It doesn't get any easier, but I don't appear to be getting any faster.
  • I did it 2 years ago with a female friend of mine. We were planning on doing it together, but due to the split start it was only 3/4 of the way through that I finally found her.

In terms of time climbing, when we did the Giau we averaged about 9kph and it is 10 km long so that makes it about 1 hour 10, and to put this in perspective we finished in less than 7 hours so it was a respectable time.

For the descending, the only advice is to always look well ahead of yourself and look through the corner. It is also pretty crowded for the first half of the race so stick to your line and be aware of idiots who will be coming past a lot quicker.

For the first 20km it is pretty much wheel to wheel so try to make sure you are comfortable riding in close formation.

They close down the starting town so if you are stayihng out of town then make sure you are either within riding distance of the start or you have someone who can drop you off and then go off and do their own thing.

If you have a healper coming with you, you can sign-up for text updates on times over the major passes. If you sign-up your friends mobile they can then figure out where you are on the course and therefore get a better chance of seeing you.

The course is a figure of 8 so you go through the start town twice (and do the first climb twice.

have fun, it is a great event, although pretty hard.
  • ajb72
    ajb72 Posts: 1,178
    Specifically on your dislike of energy gels - take a look at the range offered by High 5.

I had never tried them before getting a selection box after the Tour of the Peak, but have now sampled the isotonic and regular gels. They are without doubt the easiest to take on board I have tried, the taste and consistency is like watered down orange juice, so almost pleasant.

Make sure to try them in training though rather than reaching for them on the day, energy products don't agree with everyone and you certainly don't want the runs!

Good luck with the event, it sounds awesome.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    I agree with those saying the experience of riding UK hills does not prepare you for the experience of riding Alpine climbs (and the gearing you need!). Still, that doesn't mean you should disregards doing UK hills as training. The Peak District is only a day trip away from Lincolnshire, and doing hilly rides in training is definitevely part of a good preparation for the Alps, IMHO.

I'm doing the Maratona too this year - very much looking forward to it. Lots of useful advice here.
    wjcrombie wrote:
    They close down the starting town so if you are stayihng out of town then make sure you are either within riding distance of the start or you have someone who can drop you off and then go off and do their own thing.
    We're staying a bit further North, any idea how far North they close off the town, and how far from the start we would realistically have to look for parking space in the morning?
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    Firstly ignore the folk who haven't hydrated properly and are bent double on the verge with cramps if it is a warm day later on.
    Secondly ignore the low average speed the climbs are long and the descents are mainly hairpins so lots of braking.
    Thirdly ignore the fact that it's difficult to eat (not much in the way of flat road) best to practice here going out and eating whilst going up as well as the feeds.
    Now the worst part of the event other than if the weathers c**p is the feeds, every man and his dog takes their bike to the feed tables getting in each others way and banging into the ankles of the other riders :evil: best to have a ride buddy with you if you can and share turns at the feeds with one looking after both bikes.
    In hot weather (clear over night) it's bloody cold first thing in the morning and when you go up the Campalongo it's in a sunny part and you warm up then on the descent in the shade it's bloody cold again.
    We had a 5km descent to La Villa and a long wait for the start so mitts, thin over gloves, arm warmers, gillet, plastic bag up the front, dustbin liner over the top for waiting at start and I was shivering like an idiot as I crossed the start line 20 mins after the race started.
    This was in fantastic weather for the weekend, I discarded the bin liner at the start and took the plastic bag out on the Campalongo but put it back up for the descent to Arraba.
    If the weather got bad then a small rucksack with winter kit in it would be very usefull, plenty of riders had them, it can change very quickly at altitude and being soaking wet on some of those descents would be torture, in fact with ordinary summer kit most wouldn't make it down the Pros put on proper rain tops and gloves some times. :wink:
  • FJS wrote:
    wjcrombie wrote:
    We're staying a bit further North, any idea how far North they close off the town, and how far from the start we would realistically have to look for parking space in the morning?

We parked up at Badia or somewhere around there. The start is from La Villa and you ride up through Corvara.

The hills are big and long, but not impossible as long as you have the right gears. For most people that would mean a compact chainset and at least a 25 and preferably down to a 29 rear sprocket.
    Taking a set of warm clothes is also a must as descending from the biggest climbs gets pretty cold and when I did it, it was good weather.