Needing sponsorship - London2Paris24

Dennis1971
Dennis1971 Posts: 37
edited January 2011 in The bottom bracket
Me and a mate are cycling the London2Paris24, all for a great charity called SCOPE giving support for people suffering from Cerebral Palsy. Needless to say we need money at least £2000. So get your wallet out:

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/fundrai ... sTeam=true

Also still open for branding....you have a company we are willing to ride in branded kit as long as you sponsor us for a big big chunk. 8)

Dennis

Comments

• sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    Dennis1971 wrote:
    Me and a mate are cycling the London2Paris24, all for a great charity called SCOPE giving support for people suffering from Cerebral Palsy. Needless to say we need money at least £2000. So get your wallet out:

Also still open for branding....you have a company we are willing to ride in branded kit as long as you sponsor us for a big big chunk. 8)

Dennis

Will all the 2K go to SCOPE?
  • Leesykoi
    Leesykoi Posts: 338
    Hi Dennis,

I completed L2P last June as a privately funded trip with some like minded individuals who all met up on BikeRadar (by the way they were a superb bunch of lads). This was deliberate as we all wanted to do the ride for our own reasons and i was fortunate enough to raise £2.5k of which 100% went to charity (Macmillan's Cancer Care) and not one penny subsidised the trip. Good luck with the ride and hope you have a great time !!!!

Lee.
    I like shiny bikes - especially Italian ones.....!!
  • Yes, this is excluding the gift aid collected. We paid our entry fees and all the money collected goes directly to the charity via virgin money giving. Virgin does not take a cut like justgiving.com :-)

Dennis
    SheffSimon wrote:
    Dennis1971 wrote:

Dennis

Will all the 2K go to SCOPE?
  • Leesykoi
    Hi Dennis,

I think you will find that a proportion of your £2k sponsorship will go towards 'organising' the trip, i very much doubt that your registration fee would cover the costs of the trip(£99 each for admin maybe). So essentially your charity will get the cash they will not be able to use all of it for their good causes. That is why i went privately so 100% raised went to doing some good and that the kind friends and family who sponsored me never 'paid' for my trip. Maybe wrong but ....

Lee
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    Dennis - don't take this the wrong way, but you may find it more productive to tap up friends, family and colleagues for some sponsorship.

You have 15 posts and are not well known on the forum. The internet's a great way of meeting people but an opening salvo of 'I'm going cycling, can you sponsor me?' isn't perhaps going to be the most effective method of tin rattling...

Good on you for doing the ride though.
  • I haven't checked but they might. I had a friend ask me to join him in an event organised by Scope so our intention are sincere. Also does not change the fact we are trying to get as much money for Scope as we can. (http://www.scope.org.uk/support-us/fund ... ing-events)

If you have a problem with this don't sponsor me I am just trying to get some exposure for Scope and reach our target and hopefully more. I just found it a shame that you are implying that the 'correct way' must be your way. Also setting a negative tone in this thread which really helps my fund raising efforts.

Dennis
    Leesykoi wrote:
    Hi Dennis,

I think you will find that a proportion of your £2k sponsorship will go towards 'organising' the trip, i very much doubt that your registration fee would cover the costs of the trip(£99 each for admin maybe). So essentially your charity will get the cash they will not be able to use all of it for their good causes. That is why i went privately so 100% raised went to doing some good and that the kind friends and family who sponsored me never 'paid' for my trip. Maybe wrong but ....

Lee
    58585 Posts: 207
    The event website seems to be quite clear:
    "£2,000 - Minimum Sponsorship Fee
    From this total Scope will pay the event organisers, Action Challenge, for your place on the event"
    so it's defintely worth checking how much of the 2k will go to charity even if it's just for your own info.
    Bear in mind it also says "Fully inclusive - transport, food, mechanics, medics, hotel and celebratory dinner in Paris, return Eurostar to London."

This has been a bit of a topic on here before and has got some people riled in the past...

Good luck with the ride anyway!
  • Leesykoi
    Dennis,

Apologies if you think i was coming across negative (i wasn't btw) i just wanted to clarify that's all. These events are great and there are many of them now which is super just i done it different that's all.

Best of luck.

Lee.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Usually at least £600 of that £2000 goes towards costs. The rest goes to charity. But this event is shorter than usual (24 hours instead of 3 days, etc) so the costs should be lower.
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    IMO organisation should be run on a shoestring budget for such events, not putting on a celebratory dinner in Paris, to maximise charity contribution.

Good luck to you mate, but I wont be contributing to your holiday. If you paid out of your pocket for the whole of the costs you incur (food/mechaics/transport), then it would be a different situation.
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    I too did last years L2P and every penny of mine went to my chosen charity, I paid for the trip out of my own pocket.

There are many worthwhile charities out there and it is very difficult to decide which one to contribute, however I can assure you that at least 50-60% of the money you raise will not go where it is needed...i.e. to the charitable cause itself.

You'll find that although you make out a cheque for £2k to Scope, they will pay commercial organisations for their expenses at a profit, the way we did it was pay for the trip out of our own pocket and then we all could make sure that our chosen charity received 100%

We are doing a longer trip this year which includes 5 nights away including all bike food, Cycling Shirt, Electrolyte and Protein drinks, Ferry Crossings, Fuel, Toll Fees, Minibus Hire, local train fares, two support drivers and one person flying back due to space constraints and we forecast to come in under £500 each.

A lot of these organised trips are rip offs and rarely does 10% actually get anywhere near the people who need it, think very carefully about what would happen if you and a few mates rode to Paris and still raised £2K but paid for the expenses out of your own pocket...worth thinking about isn't it!
  • Richard_D
    Richard_D Posts: 320
    I am sorry if we are all coming across as negative and I wish you well. Each time I have thought of doing one of these long distance rides the minimum Sponsorship has always put me off. Tapping 200 people each for a tenner does not appeal. I would rather pay out of my own pocket for travel, accomodation etc. S0 that all I collect goes to the charity. I have a colleague who gave up doing the L2P when the minimum sponsorship hit 500. £99 pound registration most probably only covers the adverts and administration.
    I know this based on the fact that myself and a number of coleagues are self organising a trip from Basingstoke to Paris in support of the RNLI and our upfront deposit went on booking the First night hotel and the ferry and we got those cheap based on telling them what we were doing and why.
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    Hi Dennis,

I'm also doing the challenge. If you want to know how much of the money goes toward the organisation of the event then give them a ring, the information isn't on the website but they were happy enough to tell me when I called up. I plan to put in that money myself.
    I'm going to be doing a few things like a cake sale and getting a stall at a work event and tapping up colleagues as I don't think just friends and family will get us to our target.

Best of luck with your fundraising and see you at the event! I'll be on a black and red cervelo s1, my relay teammate on a cinelli.

Cheers,

Stu.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,539
    Nuggs wrote:
    Dennis - don't take this the wrong way, but you may find it more productive to tap up friends, family and colleagues for some sponsorship.

You have 15 posts and are not well known on the forum. The internet's a great way of meeting people but an opening salvo of 'I'm going cycling, can you sponsor me?' isn't perhaps going to be the most effective method of tin rattling...

Good on you for doing the ride though.

I only ask people I don't like for sponsorship money - and a lot of it.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    It was actually some advice on these sort of posts which made me think hard about my JOGLE and what I wanted to do last year. I kind of naively had it in my head that people would be falling over to give sponsorship and companies would want to get involved etc etc and hadn't really thought about the "holiday" angle (as the riding seemed daunting and not much like a holiday!)

In the end, I did the Ride Across Britain and got sponsored for it by people, but I paid 100% of the entry and associated costs myself - part of what we do as a charity ensures that 100% of people's donations go direct to the causes that our charity supports and all costs of running the charity (which are small, but website costs/registration fees/hire fees/promotional materials etc) are met by us alone and do NOT come out of donations. I genuinely think that some of the comments on here are really good, have been articulated well and will make you think more deeply about what you are doing and why.

Cheers

M
  • Hi Stu,

If you can pop me a PM with the amount that would be great. Me and my partner are putting in a fair amount in ourselves and like you will be organizing a cake sale and might set up the bikes in the company to get some exposure. Also looking into collecting at a tube station. Both our families are tiny so don't expect to raise too much through them (have done charity runs and rides last few years where the full amount went to the charity so those wells are a bit dry).

Hope to see you at the event, my partner will be on a willier and I will be on something. My current steed is a steel framed concorde from nineties due for replacement so I am looking around in the sales for a replacement.

Ta
    Dennis

Stuey01 wrote:
    Hi Dennis,

I'm also doing the challenge. If you want to know how much of the money goes toward the organisation of the event then give them a ring, the information isn't on the website but they were happy enough to tell me when I called up. I plan to put in that money myself.
    I'm going to be doing a few things like a cake sale and getting a stall at a work event and tapping up colleagues as I don't think just friends and family will get us to our target.

Best of luck with your fundraising and see you at the event! I'll be on a black and red cervelo s1, my relay teammate on a cinelli.

Cheers,

Stu.