Raised handle bars?

ted-on-tour
ted-on-tour Posts: 225
edited January 2011 in Road beginners
I bought my second hand Carrera Virtuoso a couple of weeks ago and I've been told the handle bars are raised very high, how do I take it down?

Is it a case of simply lopping the excess bar off?

I thought I'd check first before taking a grinder or hacksaw to it, because if I brake it....the other half would.....well you know.

Thanks in advance
Pain is a momentary lapse of character.

Comments

• you've been told, or you can tell? If you don't kow for sure, take it to your LBS. There is no reason for you to take a hacksaw to a bike you just got. If nothing else, you might learn something new ;)
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    If you have spacers below the stem they can be moved above it and if the stem has been 'flipped' (is pointing upwards) it can be turned over. Do not cut anything until you are sure you have got the right height. A pic would help.
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    it looks to me like someone put a steerer extension piece on there. just remove the extension and fit the stem to the steerer. also i bet that bike has 52, 42 gearing on a 23 t cassette. you might want to get compact gearing if you have many hills. they arent at the cutting edge of light weight at all, but very strong including the steel fork, those alex rims are actually more of a cross/atb rim and are as such strong for a road bike. a good first bike, if you you have any questions ill help, i have the same bike, theyre about 2002 vintage. youll have to get it stuck under a bus to dent it, but still probably ride home :lol:
  • http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0521772851

I dont know if this link is going to work but here it is, now I've taken the part that looks like its there to raise the handlebars but now the forks wobble under braking. I think its a trip to the LBS....
  • Pain is a momentary lapse of character.
  • rake
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dglSmqfUcRQ
    sounds like you havent adjusted the stem correctly.
  • Any chance you could talk me through it on here as i can't view that video as flash player wont download on this computer for some reason, long winded i know but would help me massively!
  • rake
    have you managed to fit the cap with the bolt through at the end of the fork tube?
    http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Co ... essHeadset
  • John.T
    You have a steerer extender on there. It can easily be removed if you know what you are doing. Bars need repositioning as well.
  • rake
    John.T wrote:
    You have a steerer extender on there. It can easily be removed if you know what you are doing. Bars need repositioning as well.
    weve established that. hes removed it but now has play in the forks.
  • No the bolt i have now is far too long, where would i get a shorter one? bike shop?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    from - http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help

*Remove bolt and top cap to inspect steering column. Lubricate adjusting bolt and re-install cap and bolt by hand only. DO NOT TIGHTEN.

*Loosen stem bolt(s) that secure stem to the steering column. Lubricate these bolts if they are dry. NOTE: DO NOT LUBRICATE INSIDE STEM OR ON STEERING COLUMN SURFACE.

*Wiggle the stem side to side to see that it is loose. If the stem is jammed or rusted frozen to the steering column, no adjustment can be made.

*Align stem straight to wheel and gently secure the top bolt. Stop when any resistance is felt.

*Tighten stem bolt(s).

*Check for play by pulling back and forth on fork. Turn the handlebars in different directions while checking for play. There may be play at this early setting. Use care when grabbing suspension forks, because the legs may have play. Grab upper portion of fork.

*To adjust bearings, LOOSEN STEM BOLT(S).

*Turn adjusting bolt in center cap only 1/8th turn clockwise.

*Secure stem bolts, check for play again.

*Repeat adjustments as above until play disappears. Remember to loosen stem bolts before turning adjusting bolt in cap.

*Check alignment of stem and tighten stem binder bolts fully.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rake
    yes. you need a suitable length bolt. this is the bolt along with the cap which clamps down and removes the play from the fork bearings.
  • Ok thanks for the advice I'll get on it....I'll let you know how I get on, if anyone's reading this in Gloucestershire.....HELP!

Thanks.
  • John.T
    rake wrote:
    John.T wrote:
    I got a bit confused, especialy as you knew about the extender 5 hours before he posted the picture. Are you psychic. :D
  • SORTED! I am a freakin Genius! A technically minded god!

Just kiddin, thanks for the help folks....PHEW!
  • rake
    John.T wrote:
    rake wrote:
    John.T wrote:
    I got a bit confused, especialy as you knew about the extender 5 hours before he posted the picture. Are you psychic. :D
    id allready seen the bike posted in another thread.