Epic Equipment Fails

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited January 2011 in Commuting general
Jeez - what a day

2 days into riding on Conti GP4000s tyres I get my first puncture (after almost none on my Gatorskins)

Bloody Look Keo cleats broke (nose snapped off - about 4 days of use)

On the way home, another puncture!
- CO2 catridge just goes pfffft...... tyre only half inflated
- Blackburn airstick bloody useless - couldn't get it off the stem
- Got home to find that the second puncture was the Bontrager inner failing at the valve stem joint .

Again 4 out of 5 things from Alpine Bikes - it seems everything I buy from them is doomed to failure.....
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• Chris McG
    Chris McG Posts: 189
    WOW unlucky mate

I had a bad experience crashing into the rider in front on the first day of London 2 Paris this year; but my Ksyrium SL's had only a bent spoke! :shock:
    "Orbea, Bianchi, Ridley, Van Nicholas, Planet X, Niner. My Euro-bike menagerie was going well up to the last 2..."
  • tx14
    tx14 Posts: 244
    decided to try the public track pump near the cycle parking at my uni.
    fit the valve, tyre deflates, hose broke off from valve, fail!
  • one worn XT mid ring, chug chug chug... snap, off goes the chain! class :roll:
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Unlucky, chap.

GP4000s' aren't winter tyres; great in the summer with their speed and grip but like tissue paper when the roads are all pointy.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Asprilla wrote:
    Unlucky, chap.

GP4000s' aren't winter tyres; great in the summer with their speed and grip but like tissue paper when the roads are all pointy.

Yup - back to the trusty Gatorskins! Probably leave them on the RS10s too as the RS80s, whilst lovely to ride on, are being ground to dust by the grit and crap.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    I've done a fair few miles on GP4000s tyres with no issues?

Maybe I'll go back to my bontrager hardcases if the GP's are likley to die!
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    The planets must have lined up. That's a bad run of luck!
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    I had my first puncture in more than a year on Monday. It was a glass cut and has written off an otherwise servicable tyre.

Having snagged my headphones on the brake cables and snapped a wire last time I changed a tyre at the radside I decided to take them off. Unfortunately as i took them off, an earpiece swung down and somehow caught under the cleat on my left shoe - I then promptly stood on the earpiece.

So thats £20 plus for a new tyre, £5 for the tube and £50 for a new set of headphones.....

We're also into breaking crockery at the moment with the kitchen resembling a down-market Greek restaurant most of the time. We can't remember breaking anything for years but, since Christmas, we've broken three plates, two cups, two glasses, a teapot and six pudding bowls.

Not to mention putting several dents in a new laminate floor and ruining the carpet in the lounge.

Bob