What to eat after Night rides

ddraver
ddraver Posts: 26,388
edited January 2011 in Health, fitness & training
Yo!

What do you guys eat after a night ride?

Obviously there is an issue with the whole "don't eat before bedtime" but I have to eat something when we get back..presumably a 12in double pepperoni Pizza is not ideal though :oops:

We were guessing about something low GI with some protein....?

Any Thoughts
DaveK
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver

Comments

• springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    If I want to eat, but don't want to eat (after exercise)... I've kind of got hooked on the 'for goodness shake' shakes ( http://www.forgoodnessshakes.com )

I don't think they are anything special in terms of what the contain (milk powder, whey protein, etc) and you could probably get the same effect (and would be better for you)... but they are quick to make and they do seem to fill you up. Think they are around 250 kcals, so not hugely calorific. They also taste good, which is a big plus.

But.. I'm sure Pizza would be much more enjoyable - while you are having those carb cravings! :)
    Simon
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    We have a pub dinner after our night rides!! Some guys go straight back home afterwards, but having ridden straight from work with just a slice of toast or something before riding I'm starving by the time we finish. Usually a curry, chilli con carne or something.

Not remote low cal but that doesn't bother me :lol:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    I go for a light ommellete myself, good hit of protein, light so not weighty to sleep on :)
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    One of my personal favourite products is SiS nocte, but you do tend to have DREAMS rather than dreams after drinking it.

The main thing is quickly eat after exercise, then clean the bike before going to bed.
  • miss notax
    The main thing is quickly eat after exercise, then clean the bike before going to bed.

The first bit I manage, but i'm not so good at the second...

*Miss Notax tries not to think about her bike festering in the back of the Volvo since Sunday!*
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

• angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    I just eat what I feel like, quite often pizza and chips, don't really understand this big faff about not eating loads before going to bed.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    ddraver wrote:
    Obviously there is an issue with the whole "don't eat before bedtime"
    If you mean in terms of getting fat, this is a myth. You might not sleep too good because your digestive system is churning away but otherwise eating before you go to sleep is no different to any other time.

Best thing to do after a night ride is stay away from other people because your resistance to germs will be low and get some protein. If you've fuelled up properly before the ride, the carbs will have kept you going so all that matters is to help rebuild the muscles.
  • ddraver
    .blitz wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    Obviously there is an issue with the whole "don't eat before bedtime"
    If you mean in terms of getting fat, this is a myth. You might not sleep too good because your digestive system is churning away but otherwise eating before you go to sleep is no different to any other time.

This is what i ve long suspected.....

Good to know we re not the only ones who eat whatever we can get our hands on! The trouble we have is that we don't have the time to fuel beforehand properly so by 9 00 after a 2-3hr ride we re knackered and ravenous but as we re thinking about training for some bigger events this summer we re wondering about slightly healthier/pro-active approaches
    - @ddraver
  • beans on toast.

you can actually live on beans on toast. and that ladies and gentlemen is a fact.
  • miss notax
    beans on toast.

you can actually live on beans on toast. and that ladies and gentlemen is a fact.

Just because you can, doesn't necessarily mean you should :wink::lol::lol:

• Jon8a
    Jon8a Posts: 235
    Eat during the ride so you don't come back hungry?

I normally have large glass of milk (pretty similar to recovery drink) or hot mug if it's been a cold one. PEanut butter on toast , banana, nuts etc.
  • ddraver
    Jon8a wrote:
    Eat during the ride so you don't come back hungry?

I normally have large glass of milk (pretty similar to recovery drink) or hot mug if it's been a cold one. PEanut butter on toast , banana, nuts etc.

well yeah but you can't eat enough to make up for missing tea though can you - you'd spend more time eating than riding....actually.....?
    - @ddraver
  • tsenior
    tsenior Posts: 664
    if i'm going straight form work i tend to have my main meal of the day for an early lunch (12.00) ...leaves you a bit sleepy but coffee for that

then a snack at my desk during the last hour: sandwhich, banana and cake.

afterwards a couple of pints and some crisps in the pub restores me.