Self Assessment Online (HMRC)

Leesykoi
Leesykoi Posts: 338
edited January 2011 in The bottom bracket
Hi,

In previous years HMRC have sent me the simple 2 page self assessment to file and i have done this without any issues (my tax affairs are not too complicated although i do claim tax relief on my business miles). I was not sent one nor the intent to file online notification last year and did not think anything of it till i received the please file online before Jan 31st OR you will be fined £100 letter. Well i registered and received my government gateway acknowledgment code the other day. Logged on last night and must say to my surprise it was a relatively simple process and the end result is i am due a tax rebate (not huge but better in my pocket i reckon since i owed the taxman the year before).

My question is......how quick do you receive rebates if filed online as in the past when i've filed on paper i've found any sort of rebate takes absolutely forever ??

Look forward to hearing about your experiences with HMRC.

Lee.
I like shiny bikes - especially Italian ones.....!!

Comments

• Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Have you filled in where you'd like any rebate to be paid ie bank acc? I have to pay 'tax on account' and this year, like you, did my return on line. I received a rebate straight into my designated account within a week or so, before their letter informing me of their intention to do so had even arrived.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Pep
    Pep Posts: 501
    few weeks here
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    As Aggie says, often the money comes before the notification.

In November, they sent me a substantial rebate on last year. :D

In January, they sent me a bill for more or less the same amount back on account for next year. :(

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• Aggieboy
    pneumatic wrote:
    As Aggie says, often the money comes before the notification.

In November, they sent me a substantial rebate on last year. :D

In January, they sent me a bill for more or less the same amount back on account for next year. :(

How does that work if you've received a rebate and all things have remained equal? I paid a substantial amount last year, got a rebate ,and have had next years 'tax on account' reduced by writing to them with a justifiable reason for them to do so. They will also split large amounts into two payments.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Couple of years ago I got about a grand back from HMRC despite my protestations. 18 months later I got a snotty letter from some HMRC Compliance office in York claiming I owed them a grand. Fortunately I'd kept copies of all my returns, and I was able to prove that it was their failure to enter my company car value into their system that was to blame.

Maybe I should've don my return online.

Fortunately I hadn't spent the money on a new carbon frameset, cos they seemed to want it back straight away :evil: Still, it made a bit of interest though.
  • pneumatic
    Aggieboy wrote:
    How does that work if you've received a rebate and all things have remained equal? I paid a substantial amount last year, got a rebate ,and have had next years 'tax on account' reduced by writing to them with a justifiable reason for them to do so. They will also split large amounts into two payments.

Like many self-employed people, my annual income yo-yo's. I paid too much on account last year, based on the figures for the year before, so I got half of it back. Now they have reduced my on account figure for the coming year, based on my accounts for last tax year. What they don't yet know is that I had a really good year this tax year so this year's on account will fall well short of what I actually owe. And so it goes on!!

I suppose I could write and have it flattened out a bit.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations

• Aggieboy
    pneumatic wrote:
    Aggieboy wrote:

Like many self-employed people, my annual income yo-yo's. I paid too much on account last year, based on the figures for the year before, so I got half of it back. Now they have reduced my on account figure for the coming year, based on my accounts for last tax year. What they don't yet know is that I had a really good year this tax year so this year's on account will fall well short of what I actually owe. And so it goes on!!

I suppose I could write and have it flattened out a bit.

Well, at least you know it's coming and hopefully can put some aside. Better than giving it up front :evil:
  • pneumatic
    Aggieboy wrote:
    Well, at least you know it's coming and hopefully can put some aside. Better than giving it up front :evil:

That is the real problem! When your tax liability is two years' behind, it takes a lot of self-discipline not to spend the money on bikes, components, holidays and fun. It has taken me five years to learn that lesson. :cry:

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations

• Aggieboy
    pneumatic wrote:
    Aggieboy wrote:

That is the real problem! When your tax liability is two years' behind, it takes a lot of self-discipline not to spend the money on bikes, components, holidays and fun. It has taken me five years to learn that lesson. :cry:

William Feather wrote:
    "If we don't discipline ourselves, the world will do it for us."
    "If we don't discipline ourselves, the tax man will do it for us."

Fixed :lol:
  • My rebate landed 3 days after hitting submit.

I'd spent it 3 days after that. Not on a bike but sparkly things for the missus in the hope the sparkle would dazzle her enough for the bike to slip past with out notice.

It didn't work.
  • Leesykoi
    I filled in all my banking details online with the self assessment so was hoping they would pop the cash in my account straight off.

First time i filed online so the timescales will be new to me !!!!
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    I keep getting emails telling me I have a rebate from HMRC and to go to a link to fill in my details and account for payment. How long will it take before HMRC pay me :? ?

Ps Moira Stewart has gone done in my estimation since she started fronting for HMRC.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • Leesykoi
    dilemna wrote:
    I keep getting emails telling me I have a rebate from HMRC and to go to a link to fill in my details and account for payment. How long will it take before HMRC pay me :? ?

Ps Moira Stewart has gone done in my estimation since she started fronting for HMRC.

I may be wrong here but i thought e-mails like this were more than likely 'scams', when you register with the government gateway you get a secure mail facility.
  • AndyF16
    AndyF16 Posts: 506
    Leesykoi wrote:
    dilemna wrote:
    I keep getting emails telling me I have a rebate from HMRC

I may be wrong here but i thought e-mails like this were more than likely 'scams', when you register with the government gateway you get a secure mail facility.

+1 - would exercise great caution, the scammers' websites are apparently very plausible
    2011 Bianchi D2 Cavaria in celeste (of course!)
    2011 Enigma Echo 57cm in naked Ti
    2009 Orange G2 19" in, erm orange
  • tebbit
    tebbit Posts: 604
    One word of caution with self assessment, they audit people at random and a three year bloody investigation with the threat of having to pay £10k back to them, after that they decided I owed £225 I allegedly over claimed. It doesn't cost an accountant much to do it, and that way you don't get audited.

I add for the avoidance of doubt I am not an accountant touting for work :D
  • Leesykoi
    Understand what you're saying Tebbit but i do not have any choice but to self assess. My tax affairs are very very simple ie i am employed and only have one job but get taxed on private healthcare and claim mileage relief allowance on the difference between what my employer pays me for business miles and what the government limits are. I used to simply file P87's each year but had one year where i done mega miles !!!
  • tebbit
    tebbit Posts: 604
    Leesykoi wrote:
    Understand what you're saying Tebbit but i do not have any choice but to self assess. My tax affairs are very very simple ie i am employed and only have one job but get taxed on private healthcare and claim mileage relief allowance on the difference between what my employer pays me for business miles and what the government limits are. I used to simply file P87's each year but had one year where i done mega miles !!!

I used to do the same when I was an employee in the UK but I was on the end of an audit and it was a hellish experience, but using an accountant they take as being an "honest accurate assessment".