Bad Accident A38 Burton On Trent

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited January 2011 in Commuting chat
A friend has just phoned to let me know he drove past a really bad accident on the slip road at Burton north (Stretton) exit.

From what he says it looks like a car (van) went into the back of a cyclist at 70mph as it exited the A38. The damage to the front of the car is extensive, the rider clearly going over the top (his comment was "a body shaped dent in the windscreen and roof") and the car going over the bike - which is a complete mess.

Apparently the Air Ambulance was used, so given the speed of impact I don't hold out much hope, but stranger things have happened.

Sober reminder that our normally safe pasttime is not 100% so.
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Erk :shock:

Here's hoping... *fingers crossed*
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    A38 Burton Bypass in Burton Upon Trent closed and queueing traffic in both directions between Claymills and the A5132 Carriers Road junction, because of a serious accident involving lorry and a bike.

Fingers crossed indeed. I don't like the use of the word "serious".
  • essexian
    essexian Posts: 187
    The BBC are reporting it as follows:

"A38 Staffordshire - A38 Burton Bypass in Burton Upon Trent closed and queueing traffic in both directions between Claymills and the A5132 Carriers Road junction, because of a serious accident involving lorry and a bike. Congestion on Southbound to Toyota Island."

Sounds nasty. The road is a motorway in all but name IMHO.

Fingers crossed indeed.
  • Kieran_Burns
    I have to wonder what the cyclist was dong there in the first place as there is a rather good cycle path on the northbound side :(

I can only think that they were coming out of the Doveside cattery place right next to the slip road. That is not a stretch of road I would ever contemplate cycling on.

Right here
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Philcho
    Philcho Posts: 57
    *Cough* BMW Driver *Cough* - R.I.P. Buddy
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    R.I.P.

Terrible news.

I went to uni in Derby and as such went up last weekend to stay with a friend. As I was coming into Derby on the A38 at about 5pm (pitch black, unlit roads) doing roughly the national speed limit I saw a single red flashing light in the distance, then I realised it was a cyclist cycling inside the inside lane on the dual carriageway with only a single crap blinky LED on the rear. I honestly thought he wasn't going to make it home. That's a bloody scary bit of road to be cycling on, let alone at night.

This is awful news though and my thoughts are with the family.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • V5ade
    V5ade Posts: 192
    R.I.P.
    feel for the family as well :-(
    Somewhere in the Surrey Hills :-)
  • Kieran_Burns
    Oh Lord :(
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Philcho wrote:

Yay, way to trivialise it! Good job! :roll:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    I hate reading reports like this, in terms of getting hit sometimes it's hard not to think it's a case of when rather than if :(

RIP
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • Perspective young skywalker. Think how many safe rides we've all made today. No consolation for the poor guys family & heartfelt condolences to them but it makes news because its thankfully rare.
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    Perspective young skywalker. Think how many safe rides we've all made today. No consolation for the poor guys family & heartfelt condolences to them but it makes news because its thankfully rare.

Too true. I know these things are rare and the stats are in our favour, but it's easy to feel vulnerable on a bike. The only time I have been hit was from behind while sgnaling and slowing up to turn right. I was lucky and the driver was doing a pretty low speed.
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    Very sorry to hear KB , i raised it on CC as well .

I would never contemplate riding on the A 38 even if i had the right too, i use the section from willington to toyota as part of my commute so i know the route.

The cyclist died ...
    http://www.burtonmail.co.uk/News/Cyclis ... on-A38.htm

"The victim, whose identity has not yet been released, was pronounced dead at the scene by paramedics.

The tragedy happened at 1.45pm on the southbound carriageway of the A38 when his cycle and a blue 08-plate BMW were in collision at Claymills yesterday."
    FCN 3/5/9
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864

Some BMW drivers are also cyclists, me for example. Never judge a book by it's cover.

I wish there was some way to stop these dreadful accidents, it's such a terrible waste of life :-(
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • essexian
    essexian Posts: 187
    To update this somewhat.

http://road.cc/content/news/30000-recor ... ycling-a38

Really, really, really sad that a bloke so in love with cycling met his end this way.

RIP.
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    essexian wrote:
    Really, really, really sad that a bloke so in love with cycling met his end this way.

RIP.

+1, absolutely tragic.

R.I.P.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • Kieran_Burns
    Local paper has it as the headline:

http://www.burtonmail.co.uk/News/Cyclis ... victim.htm

:cry:

910,000 miles... on a bike. Good God what an achievement.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Awful, absolutely awful. How many of us have to die before the carnage stops?????

When will MPs act to change the law to so that the presumption of negligence is on the moton if they crash into injuring or killing cyclists, pedestrians or any other vulnerable road user not in another vehicle as is the case in other countries in Europe?

How many have to die before the Government does something?????

RIP and condolences to Pat's family and friends.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Awful, absolutely awful. How many of us have to die before the carnage stops?????

I know, there have been so many accidents in the past month it really makes you think about how they can be reduced. It's not just the cyclists, the drivers have to live with what they've done and surely the majority of them aren't uncaring homicidal maniacs.

I'm sure that some accidents could be avoided by making cyclists more visible, be it by clothing or lights. But a large percentage of road accidents generally must be due to human error (by both drivers and cyclists). One way to reduce that portion may be to separate cyclists and cars by means of dedicated cycle paths or wider cycle lanes at the side of main roads. Of course in many areas it's just not possible to widen roads any further.

I've recently decided to always have a flashing tail light even in daylight, in past years I've not bothered until dusk. It's not a panacea but it can't hurt after all. I wish there were some technical means of making car drivers more aware of cyclists.

One thing I find helps in town is a good head torch. If you look drivers in the eye with it at junctions and roundabouts they really do see you.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • its sad news .. rip.
    he was hit the other year near lichfield :roll:
    he use to ride a 3 wheel tricycle , and it was a nitemare when he was on the A38,
    as it took up so much room. .. on a fast main truck route. :!:

he was an accident waiting to happen again rip old boy..

but why the hell he didnt stick to the cycle path.. :cry:

im a keen rider my self and yes i drive at ruck as well..

just remmber peeps to give us lots of room .. :roll:
    to fat and old to be fast
  • Kieran_Burns
    Oh sh*t.

I've just realised. I've seen this guy loads in the past :( I used to see him tooling up and down the A50 between Burnaston and Hilton on a tricycle.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    I know that area well, and I believe that I have seen the guy as well. My condolences on his passing... he certaily was a dedicated cyclist.

However knowing that road, I cannot understand why anyone would want to cycle on it. It is virtually a Motorway, and is bad enough to drive on. Plus there are so many lovely back roads in the area, why, oh why cycle on the A38?

I consider myself a keen cyclist, but I also consider my own personal safety, and would not, ever cycle on a road like that.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"