Health Concern

oceheb
oceheb Posts: 124
edited January 2011 in Commuting general
Ive got 20miles ride one side. Waiting hard for new season start, this is what stops me from start right now:

1. Im not feeling comfortable breading at 0-3 degrees for long period of time. We have lots of hill around here in Yorkshire, so workout can be very intensive. Is there any recommendation for suitable temperature? Do you experience cough and unconformable feeling after winter ride?
2. Slippery road surfaces in the morning, especially for road bike
3. Darkness in the evening for unlighted roads

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    1. Keep your torso warm. Use clothing with suitable technical fabrics, i.e. wicking fabrics. Do not ride with cotton t-shirts or you will get cold! Make sure you have enough layers when it's very cold - experience will help you judge how many layers you need for a given temperature (people handle cold differently). I will ride in sub-zero conditions but to do so I have a lot of clothing for the task in the wardrobe.
    2. Take it easy. If you think a corner might be slippery, slow down. Avoid using the front brake in slippy conditions.
    3. Get some good lights. There is an extensive What Lights? thread around here if you do a search.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    1. No harm in asking your GP for a check-up, if only for reassurance. I took to wearing a small pashmina scarf around my face in the recent cold spell, but it froze after a mile. I confess to giving up when the mercury hit -10 and took the car.

2. fit knobbly tyres and ride further out than you usually would in the road. Use a mountain bike, or buy a cheap hack. It's not going to make a huge difference to your journey, because you'll be travelling slower anyway.

3. aspire to become a Christmas tree. Red light on back of jacket and flashing red light on back of pannier, 2 front lights, one flashing- theory is that if one gives out, you'll still be seen. Buy the very best you can afford to get the brightest front light. I splashed out on new front lights in October and it has made a vast difference. You can buy cheap flashing bands to fasten on your ankles and wrists (watch out for Aldi sales). Runners use them.

If you can, travel to work later than usual when the traffic is lighter. (or earlier if there's no ice)

There are no fashion rules during winter. It's all about survival.

Be slow, be steady, be seen, be safe.

And enjoy the feeling of superiority when you arrive at work.