Deore gears.

roger xr
roger xr Posts: 3
edited January 2011 in MTB beginners
hi,
i'm new to this site and just sold my old muddy fox bike that i used for "novice" riding.

i've just purchased a gt aggressor xc2.

the gear display has no numbers just a red line and three boxes.

is their any tips anyone can give me on this before i go out on it the weekend.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    have fun.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What Nick said, but you don't really need to know what number you are in, just change as you need to. But for rear, three in each window, so it's pretty easy to work it out. Just don't concentrate so hard on the windows that you stack it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse wrote:
    have fun.

+1

you'll be able to feel whether what gear you are in feels correct or not, if needs be just look down and take a look :lol:
    Specialized FSR XC Expert 2010
  • iandennis
    iandennis Posts: 238
    I have the same on my Hardrock, you will get to feel what gear your in so don't worry too much about windows and points. Deore is good solid kit.
  • Congrats on the purchase of your XC2, I recently got one last week and i'm loving it.. Well especially more so now that I've got the cable tension properly setup so the gears actually shift when i click the trigger!!

Don't worry about numbers, if the gear feels right, ride with it, otherwise shift up or down.. The only times I've found myself looking back at the rear cogs were to see what gear i was in when the triggers weren't moving the chain.
  • crazy88
    crazy88 Posts: 560
    I also have the XC2 and never remember looking at the little red indicator line. It's like driving a car, you just know by how it feels that it's the right time to change.

I recently changed my whole front chainset from the Truvativ one as one of the cranks kept coming loose and was generally pretty bab. I got a shimano deore chainset, gonna be giving it its first proper run on saturday.
    Out with the old, in with the new here.
  • Jack 123
    Jack 123 Posts: 118
    The main thing is to practice on what way to push the shifters to make it easy or hard you dont really need to look down after a little practice.
  • hi.
    i got round to using my new bike to commute to work today and after 5 minutes seemed to get the hang of the gearing and the "view" finders.

thanks for all your positive comments and advise over the last week,,,,,,