Lower Back Ache

lucan
lucan Posts: 339
edited January 2011 in Road beginners
Any advice on this one, please?

I went out on my winter bike yesterday for the first time in about 8 months as it's only just been rebuilt. About 25 miles into the group ride my lower back started aching which doesn't usually happen until much later, if at all. I do have a lower back problem which does mean it flares up from time to time, especially on longer (60+ miles) rides. Stretching before and after (and sometimes during) a ride helps.

I've compared the geometry against the summer bike and found that the seat height is the same, so is the distance from the seat to the bars. The only thing that isn't the same is the seat position relative to the bottom bracket. On the winter bike the seat is set a few centimetres further forward than it is on the summer bike.

If I move the seat back I will be increasing the distance to the bars which makes me think that would only magnify the lower back problem.

Should I try it and see what happens, or are there any other suggestions?
Summer: Kuota Kebel
Winter: GT Series3

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    It's pretty standard when you have been off for a bit. Cycling uses the lower back a lot.

People will say "change your position - are you too stretched - are your handlebars too low etc)", but stick it out for now.

Give it a month, if it still hurts, try one of the above.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,401
    What kind of stretches are you doing?
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Philby
    Philby Posts: 328
    Suggest you try some exercises to develop your 'core' - for example abdominal crunches, the plank etc. Cyclists often neglect other parts of their body and this can adversely impact their riding.
  • lucan
    lucan Posts: 339
    seanoconn wrote:

Probably the wrong ones! I concentrate on stretching my hamstrings and glutes as that's where I'm told my back problem originates.
    Summer: Kuota Kebel
    Winter: GT Series3
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Same here, did a 30 miler on Saturday and it's the first decent road ride for months. Started getting back twinges half way round. I've been doing some other exercises but none the less my core muscles have fallen into disrepair and I'll need to do something about it.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,401
    Lucan wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:

Probably the wrong ones! I concentrate on stretching my hamstrings and glutes as that's where I'm told my back problem originates.

I was going suggest the stretches you're doing already. I was getting tightness in the knees and after some good advice on here i started stretching my quads, glutes and hamstrings. Sorted my knee problem and has worked wonders with my problematic lower back, which used to ache daily.

Hope you get to the root of your discomfort.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי