Football on Sky Sports

brucey72
brucey72 Posts: 1,086
edited January 2011 in The bottom bracket
I see in the papers today that Richard Keys and Andy Gray have been caught on air making sexist comments about a female referee when they thought their microphones were switched off. They made reference to women not knowing the offside rule which was quite ironic under the circumstances given that the assistant ref in question made a really good call with the supposed Torres offside. Richard Keys also had a dig at Karren Brady regarding sexism. I would like to see him make the comments to her face, she would rip his bo**ocks off.

I love watching football and I subscribe to Sky Sports and have enjoyed their coverage of the football over the years but for a while now these two have started really grating on me. They seem to be completely up their own ar*es. I have never liked Sam Allardyce either but why does he appear on the show as an "expert" nearly every other week giving him a platform to say how disappointed he was to be sacked (he appeared straight after being sacked by Newcastle too)...........get over it Sam you are and always will be a crap manager.

Although some will not agree I think Jamie Redknapp is an articulate intelligent speaker but give me BBC with Lineker, Hansen and Shearer any day. It's just a shame the BBC have very little live football to show.

Rant Over!!

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,242
    The issue is, to me at least, Ron Atkinson, another football pundit, gets sacked for making an overtly racist comment, yet these two don't for making a overtly sexist comment.

It seems that sexism is not considered as bad a social faux pas than being racist.
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • brucey72
    I agree, although in my opinion using the N word live on air is worse than a sexist comment. I see Sky have released a statement apologising on their behalf but what I would really like to see is Keys and Gray having to make an apology on air during their next broadcast. I would love to see them squirm.
  • lucan
    lucan Posts: 339
    Wow, this is such big news! All over the radio and TV press and although I haven't seen it, probably filling the papers, too.

I bet they are the first men ever, in the history of the world, to make a comment about women not understanding the offside rule.

Whatever next?
    :roll:
    Summer: Kuota Kebel
    Winter: GT Series3
  • rick_chasey
    Lucan wrote:
    Wow, this is such big news! All over the radio and TV press and although I haven't seen it, probably filling the papers, too.

I bet they are the first men ever, in the history of the world, to make a comment about women not understanding the offside rule.

Whatever next?
    :roll:

In the context of a professional referee, who's job it is is to officiate on matters of being offside or not, etc, making a comment on their abilities (and they're paid to make comemnts on football generally) purely based on their gender rather than their abilities, is pretty bad.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Think suspending them is pointless as they will surely have to make an apology when they appear next time. Unless Sky use this as an excuse to get rid of them, they must both be on very lucrative contracts. Actually forget that, Murdoch sack someone for being offensive? I doubt it! As Bruce has said, an on air apology would have sufficed. They have made themselves look extremely ignorant and stupid, certainly in my opinion there is no comparison to the Ron Atkinson incident. He was highly offensive and nasty in his use of abhorrent language.
  • They weren't caught on air. It wasn't broadcast.
  • cornerblock
    Does it matter wether it was broadcast or not. Nearly eveyone has heard it anyway. An apology to women in football and anybody who was offended would just be the right thing to do.
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    As a lifelong wearer of spectacles, I could get extremely offended by the way football referees are commonly ridiculed.

but I don't.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• rick_chasey
    pneumatic wrote:
    As a lifelong wearer of spectacles, I could get extremely offended by the way football referees are commonly ridiculed.

but I don't.

I think the obligatory Stuart Lee clip is appropriate here. It's about the Ron Atkinson incident, but it relates rather closely to your bespectacled analogy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i91KQs12-q4

It's more articlate than I can put it, and it's funnier. To me at least.
  • cornerblock
    pneumatic wrote:

but I don't.

I see.
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    I see.
    8)

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• rick_chasey
    They've been suspended...
  • brucey72
    .........I think it's for tonights match only.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I think this is all being blown out of proportion. Sure, what the guys said ain't right...but they were not broadcasting, just caught off-air. I hear far worse down the pub about all sections of society (disabled, girls, race)...it is not right or acceptable but I don't try and start a fight with everyone who's views I object to.

Surely, the best icing on the cake here is that the lady in question make an excellent and difficult decision in the game, thereby exposing the Sky chaps as idiots, enough said.
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    I think this is all being blown out of proportion. Sure, what the guys said ain't right...but they were not broadcasting, just caught off-air.

So it's okay to be sexist or racist as long as you don't get caught?

To be fair the media love a good witch-hunt, and it'll probably get worse before it gets better, but with the equal opportinities inititives being run by the FA, it'll be difficult to sweep this under the carpet.
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • cornerblock
    Mattsaw wrote:
    I think this is all being blown out of proportion. Sure, what the guys said ain't right...but they were not broadcasting, just caught off-air.

So it's okay to be sexist or racist as long as you don't get caught?

To be fair the media love a good witch-hunt, and it'll probably get worse before it gets better, but with the equal opportinities inititives being run by the FA, it'll be difficult to sweep this under the carpet.

Not if a woman does the sweeping! :oops:
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    As stated already. She had the last laugh by getting the tight call correct.
    The guys were just sharing a private joke so I worry about over reactions but then again they have a high profile so their behaviour should be exemplary.

I am an ice hockey ref myself. One of the best officials I regularly work with is female. We all get grief as it goes with territory but the venom that gets spouted at female officials has to be heard to be believed. It is far more offensive than anything I hear aimed at the blokes.
    A couple of years back I was a linesman witha female referee at what turned out to be that referees last game (through her own choice). Can't say I blame her for packing it in after what went on that night.

Back to football. I've often wondered why they don't have an (ex) official on the pundits panel in the same way they have ex players.
    People might actually learn a little more about the subtleties of rule interpretation instead of indulging in occasionally ill informed rants.
  • cornerblock
    It's getting ridiculous now! Thinking they know the offside law is one thing, but this. :x
    http://uk.tv.yahoo.com/news-extra/artic ... woman.html
  • Tonymufc
    Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
    This is really bad. Before you know it men will be criticising women drivers. :?
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Another victory for the pc brigade!
    What a waste of airtime and column inches, It's football for gods sake and how long has the offside rule and explaining it to women been a joke... years!
    I imagine that the Soccer Saturday pundits and 99.9% of the footballing community will be pi**ing themselves, it's football banter, if you don't like it you shouldn't be in the job or watching the game. It's a male orientated sport or was before they turned it into a non-contact game.
    I've yet to hear a comment from the woman but if the linesman, oh sorry... referees assistant doesn't like the comment she should go back to refereeing Arsenal ladies, but i'm going to guess that she won't give a s**t and wonders what all the fuss is about!
  • You have to see it from the perspective of Gray & Keys – that is, that they're both a bit thick and can't help themselves. :lol:
  • The issue is, to me at least, Ron Atkinson, another football pundit, gets sacked for making an overtly racist comment, yet these two don't for making a overtly sexist comment

It seems that sexism is not considered as bad a social faux pas than being racist.

My thoughts exactly.

Big Ron was sacked by ITV. Perhaps SKY are more tollerable of sexual biggotry.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Richard_D
    Richard_D Posts: 320
    The way I see it it was not just a one off comment, if it had been then they may have got away with it. It was repeated and expanded and hence becomes sexisim rather than just banter and as such should be punished. As has been pointed out she had the last laugh by proving them wrong. I would like to see either of them try to do her job.
  • rick_chasey
    Gray's been sacked apparently.
  • brucey72
    I heard the same.........a little bit harsh unless there is more to it than we have heard.
  • Gray's been sacked apparently.

Yep

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Article/201101115910480

Thats cheered me up no end :lol:
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,853
    Ha ha

He has a long history of previous, I gather.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    Take a bow son. And leave.