endurance and food!!!!!!!!!!!!!

murfeey
murfeey Posts: 68
edited February 2011 in Health, fitness & training
first ride out this morning as new year is here,for going out longer,or building up endurance what foods are people eating,after about 1hr in mud and wet beagn to flag a little!!,
usually have porridge,anything else I can supplement it with .

cheers murf.

Comments

• Jon8a
    Jon8a Posts: 235
    Make sure you drink enough. Dehydration has as much effect on me as low energy.

I normally carry a banana an/or cereal bar.
  • Jon8a wrote:
    Make sure you drink enough. Dehydration has as much effect on me as low energy.

I normally carry a banana an/or cereal bar.

Yeah I normally find that dehydration is my main problem. Even when it is cold out, I sweat quite alot, and dehydrate fast. Depending on how long you ride, a few liters of water may be needed. Also, those powders you can put in drinks to give energy that are flavoured are a large favourite of mine.

Also as the person above has stated, bananas and a few snack bars are quite good. I normally just eat anything before the ride as long as it is not to greasy. A large favourite to eat before is pasta with just pan cooked chicken, no oil or anything. A bit of arrabiata sauce and you're good to go!
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    I think it depends on how long the ride is. All info is what I've picked up for reading various sites... so

If 3+ hours - then I will eat 'up to' an energy bar once an hour as well as using isotonic drinks.

Just try and get an estimate of how many cals you are burning during the ride - and use this as a guide of how much you need to consume. Don't wait until you are hungry or start feeling tired - it you get to that stage it's hard to recover - as it takes time for your body to convert food into energy.

You can get more reserves by eating carbs the night before... just don't over do it as you need to get rid of the 'waste' (read no.2) before you ride! I would personally only do this again for rides that are 5+ hrs.

But I'm no expert and still trying to figure it out for myself :)

Lots of info @ http://www.ausport.gov.au/ais/nutrition ... ain_biking
    Simon
  • Decathlon sell big bags of drink powder at a very reasonable price. I take a couple of bananas, malt loaf slices, a pork pie and sometimes flap jacks if a long ride. Take plenty
  • Decathlon sell big bags of drink powder at a very reasonable price. I take a couple of bananas, malt loaf slices, a pork pie and sometimes flap jacks if a long ride. Take plenty
  • Hi guys. out here in spain at the moment its cold , and i start my cycling day with a large bowl of muesli with gugi berries and dried fruit in semi skimmed milk, we as a club ride about 120 kms 3 days a week at 25 35 kmph. im a 67 yr old 6. 2 at 90 kg ,, yeah i know, im trying to loose it,,we usually stop for an half hour for coffe and i have a energy bar or more especially if we are in the mountains which keeps me going untill i get home 4 and a bit hours later, anything less and i stuggle. also i carry a bottle of sports drink and often buy a sm bottle of water. im lucky in that in our club we have 3 ex pro,s two of whom rode among others le tour, so they tell us to eat and drink all day as well as pace etc...just as spingtide states and he hails from my neck of the woods..

keep them turning.... :evil:
  • Hi all!

I always take a couple of cereal bars with me on a ride. Although I find that I am left disappointed with the taste, size, price and empty feeling they give me.

While searching through a Sainsbury's magazine, I found an easy recipe which I changed a little and call "go-go bars".

Ingredients:
    16 digestive biscuits
    100g of white chocolate - 1 bar
    100g of butter
    4 tablespoons of golden syrup

Flavours - these are my favourite combinations so far...
    80 grams of cranberry/sultana and sunflower seeds

1. crush biscuits in a mixing bowl
    2. melt chocolate, butter and golden syrup together
    3. put flavours in with the crushed biscuits. Ie cranberries and sunflower seeds
    4. pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix well
    5. butter a cake tin, so the slice won't stick; pour in the ingredients and press down firmly; cover with cling film and put in the fridge to set for a minimum of 3 hours

Cut it up into pieces, pack it a plastic bags and take it on your ride. This recipe is enough for you and your friends. Plus it's easy and cheap to make.
    Viewfield Cottage - www.Viewfieldcottage.com - B&B short breaks and self catering cottage for up to eight people near Kirroughtree - 7 Stanes, Scotland.