Avid Elixir brake woes.

hammy7272
hammy7272 Posts: 236
edited January 2011 in MTB beginners
Hi,

I am new to mtbing and my maintenance skills are very limited. However, I thought changing pads can't be difficult as I have done it before no worries.

Front brake; wheel off, old pads out, new pads in. Align, squeeze, nothing? Notice the pads have slipped out and the blocks pushing the pads together have come together and are leaking (hydraulic fluid?) Finally got them in and when I pressed the brake nothing. O.K I thought i have fuc*%ed them and they need re-bleeding?

Back brake; wheel off, old pads out, new pads in, NO! The pads were too close together to allow the disc in. I tried so many times to push the blocks back with a screwdriver but to no avail. Hmmm? :evil:

Any help suggestions would be greatly appreciated. All I want to do is ride! :)

Comments

• peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Front brake needs a bleed.

Rear might be overfilled or you just aren't pushing hard enough.

Alternatively, burn them and buy some Formula's although this isn't always the cheapest option :lol:
  • hammy7272
    Cheers Peter, thought so. So the fluid coming out was it hyrdaulic fluid? Also they are 5's.

I have seen your posts on brakes before, not a fan of Aivids eh! :wink:

As a bit of a techno-phobe would you say bite the bullet and take to the shop or buy a bleed kit? Which would be cheaper?

Thanks for your help. :)
  • peter413
    Buy a bleed kit, Epic do a great one, I use it on my Formulas and it only costs 15 quid with fluid. Fluid is super cheap as well so plenty to practice with and once you get it right it usually sticks so ends up being much cheaper.

It isn't so much that I hate Avid, just Formula are so much better in every way and just as cheap now Formula are selling the old stock off direct
  • hammy7272
    O.K, great. I suppose I will never learn if I don't try. I had a quick look on ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Epic-Avid-Juicy-3 ... 2a0d2e0a6f do you think this is the ticket?

Cheers
  • hammy7272
    Also if it was hydrauic fluid leaking, what would be good to clean it up with?
  • peter413
    That's the kit although you will need to get some DOT 5.1 fluid as well, Epic do a kit with this included.

Isopropanol is what you want to clean up brake fluid, there is plenty on Ebay, try and get it in a spray bottle, much easier to use. Then you just need to get some kitchen paper to wipe stuff up with
  • hammy7272
    Thanks very much.